Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question Has the Montco Sheriff's office stopped sending out LTCF renewal notices?

My license is set to expire in about three weeks. Previously, I've always received a notice from the County to renew. Seems like they're cutting it close this time around. Think it has anything to do with the current sheriff resigning?

(York County)

Default Re: Has the Montco Sheriff's office stopped sending out LTCF renewal notices?

Quote Originally Posted by MRMATT View Post
    My license is set to expire in about three weeks. Previously, I've always received a notice from the County to renew. Seems like they're cutting it close this time around. Think it has anything to do with the current sheriff resigning?
    I wouldn't be surprised. I would bet the process of sending out the post cards is far from automated. If I remember correctly, my notice from York arrived more than 60 days prior to expiration.

Given that MontCo probably doesn't issue while-you-wait you should probably get this ball rolling now.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Has the Montco Sheriff's office stopped sending out LTCF renewal notices?

They sure do; received mine a month before it expired. Just walk in there with your renewal application and they should get you done quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. I would bet the process of sending out the post cards is far from automated. If I remember correctly, my notice from York arrived more than 60 days prior to expiration.

Given that MontCo probably doesn't issue while-you-wait you should probably get this ball rolling now.
    Every instance I know of Montco issuing, it has been on the spot. My original and renewal, my wife's original and renewal, my brothers original and a few friends who I know that have gone. All served right away.

I did get a renewal notice last time, however it was 4 years ago. I am set to expire in December this year, so I can't help in regards to current practices for renewal notices.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. I would bet the process of sending out the post cards is far from automated.
    They are required by law to send an application along with the notice, not just a post card.

2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    They are required by law to send an application along with the notice, not just a post card.

2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.
    ...and what punishment does the sheriff suffer if he fails to do his duty in this regard?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

I have no idea how you will make out getting a renewal now. The County has no sheriff as of last Friday. The county commissioners have nominated a new one. The commission is made up of 1 Republican and 2 Democrats. The Governor has to appoint him and the Senate confirm him.

From what i have heard, the nominee might not be a big supporter of private gun ownership.

There is an acting sheriff, but I do not know how things will work in the interim.

http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/6473

Let us know what happens.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I have no idea how you will make out getting a renewal now. The County has no sheriff as of last Friday. The county commissioners have nominated a new one. The commission is made up of 1 Republican and 2 Democrats. The Governor has to appoint him and the Senate confirm him.

From what i have heard, the nominee might not be a big supporter of private gun ownership.

There is an acting sheriff, but I do not know how things will work in the interim.

http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/6473

Let us know what happens.

Doesn't the acting-sheriff have all the powers of an "actual" sheriff? Nothing should be affected.

It's definitely not an automated process...Bucks sheriff just "doesn't bother sending them out"...actual quote for office personnel.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Doesn't the acting-sheriff have all the powers of an "actual" sheriff? Nothing should be affected.

It's definitely not an automated process...Bucks sheriff just "doesn't bother sending them out"...actual quote for office personnel.

The powers/duties fall to the deputy sheriff. How seamless that transition is effected is another matter.

16 P.S. § 1249. Chief deputy sheriff to act as sheriff in case of vacancy

If any sheriff shall be legally removed from his office or shall die or resign before expiration of the term for which he was commissioned, the chief deputy sheriff shall execute the office of sheriff and perform all things thereunto appertaining, and receive and retain for his own use the compensation provided by law for sheriffs, until another sheriff is commissioned and notice thereof is given to such chief deputy sheriff.
    IANAL

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    ...and what punishment does the sheriff suffer if he fails to do his duty in this regard?
    I don't know, but HiredGoon's not wrong.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast