Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: NJ to PA carry...

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Not really. 18 Pa CS 6106 defines two type of possession that are proscribed without a license or exception - concealed (on /about person) or in vehicle. Vehicular possession does not assume different properties for concealed or open. It is possible to open carry in a vehicle but the distinction between open or concealed is moot with respect to the criminal elements of 6106 statute when vehicular possession is charged. Unlicensed/unexcepted OC is only legal while afoot (except in Phila and during state of emergency where/when it becomes illegal).
    Ya just had to come along and pick a fight didn't ya?

Of course, I jest. Your explaination is much more sussinct than my own even thought the outcome is the same. Carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle without a LTCF and trouble may follow.

And thanks for refining the issue, it serves the thread better than my own.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

OK so someone asked about open carry in PA.. and doing so in a vehicle with a permit.. I understand that is legal..

ex: you have a FL ccw permit... so that allows for open carry in a vehicle.. meaning you can openly carry a gun in the car..

BUT does that trump the laws requiring you only transport to an exempted location? I am not sure that it does...

what I mean by this is the following..

a permit from another state allows you to open carry in a car.. but do you technically still need to be going somewhere that is considered an exempted PA location?

legal "I am open carrying in my car to a gun range I belong to while using my FL permit"

maybe not legal "I am open carrying in my car to drive to anywhere PA to open carry on main street while I grab lunch"

and further what happens if you get somewhere that disallows firearms... if you are open carrying on an out of state permit in the car you can't just put the gun in the trunk? the law does not address that? you are either open carrying on your persons.. OR open carrying in the car?

the point of all this is to try to understand the impact on those from other states just open carrying to do it..

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by vladtepes View Post
    a permit from another state allows you to open carry in a car.. but do you technically still need to be going somewhere that is considered an exempted PA location?
    No. Just go here are read §6106(b)

http://www.acslpa.org/html/pa_uniform_firearms_act.html

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

It provides the same exception in a vehicle as a PA LTCF (now for non-PA residents only).
    Last edited by ungawa; May 14th, 2014 at 07:10 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123