Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink S&W unveils another new .460???

at SHOT Show:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ber-gun-backp/

I think I'll keep my Mod 27 Highway Patrolman..at least I can hit w it.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: S&W unveils another new .460???

Nothing stopping you from using the 3 other less powerful calibers that it can safely chamber and fire.

Great options with a good barrel length.

(Jefferson County)

Still a goofy long cylinder.. In my opinion the 460 and 500 guns are just the slight better looking stepbrothers to the Taurus Judge.

There isn't anything on this planet that a .454Casull, .475Linebaugh, or .500Linebaugh couldn't handle, while keeping a standard length cylinder.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Besides the big muzzle flash (to scare off the grizzles?).......I wonder what the actual muzzle velocity is from a 3 inch barrel. I would guess close to a .454 Casull (or even a hot .45 colt?) with a regular 6-7 1/2 inch barrel.

Probably adds more weight with the long cylinders than an extra 3 inches of barrel would.

(Bucks County)

i think it looks OK, and don't have a problem with the size of the cylinder but since i don't hunt and 460, 454 and even 45 LC is expensive to shoot i won't be adding one of these to the collection.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Still a goofy long cylinder.. In my opinion the 460 and 500 guns are just the slight better looking stepbrothers to the Taurus Judge.

There isn't anything on this planet that a .454Casull, .475Linebaugh, or .500Linebaugh couldn't handle, while keeping a standard length cylinder.

I would disagree with this. Perhaps not with this new short barrel model, but with the 8" barrel X frame the heavier X frame models are much easier to shoot, with less felt recoil. So, you don't have the pounding wrist breaking recoil that you have when shooting full boat 454 or 475 or 500 Linebaugh calibers. Your followup shots, and yes, even your first shot are much more likely to be on target when you know the recoil is no more than a large push and not a bite.

Dave

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i think it looks OK, and don't have a problem with the size of the cylinder but since i don't hunt and 460, 454 and even 45 LC is expensive to shoot i won't be adding one of these to the collection.
    .45Colt isn't that bad if you reload. There is a large portion of the overall reloading supply made by manufacturers aimed towards .45Colt because of the cowboy shoot revival.

You can get bullet for dirt cheap in bulk quantities. Powder costs vary with what powder you use, how much of it, and where you get your powders from.

I think I'm at around $0.25 per round on brass I already own. If I use different powder that doesn't require as much, or I want lower velocities, I can probably cut the powder costs in half. I'm sure I could probably find bullet for less than the last time I bought them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    I would disagree with this. Perhaps not with this new short barrel model, but with the 8" barrel X frame the heavier X frame models are much easier to shoot, with less felt recoil. So, you don't have the pounding wrist breaking recoil that you have when shooting full boat 454 or 475 or 500 Linebaugh calibers. Your followup shots, and yes, even your first shot are much more likely to be on target when you know the recoil is no more than a large push and not a bite.

Dave
    They can port those other bigbore barrels and add longer/heavier barrels for weight. If recoil is an issue, the person shouldn't be shooting it to begin with. The lowly .44mag can get the job down around the world, and its recoil is nowhere near that of the .454 or other bigdogs.

S&W really only made the 460 and 500 to make sure they swung the biggest schlong in the industry, and to satisfy the people suffering of magnumitis.

Folks have killed elephant, cape buffs, grizzlies, hippos, and all of nature's other nasty critters with lessor guns than even the .454.

(Clearfield County)

The 460's claim to fame is high velocity and great accuracy. However with a barrel that short, I wonder if you can burn 50 grains give or take of powder efficiently. It is a great caliber but, if I had a burning desire to get that model, I would get the heaviest bullet I could find for it. For me, the 460 is made for the 8 3/8 or longer barrel.

I don't think it much chance of burning 3/4 of the powder in the case. You could probably use a faster powder but in a high pressure cartridge like the .460 that could cost you a hand. Better off sticking with the .500 if you want an uncontrollable short barreled hand canon. The larger diameter bullet and resulting bore will help to burn more powder in the barrel.

I'd rather just stick to a .44mag, .454 or .480.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast