Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bought a Ruger Sr9c (Pictures)

I wish you the best with this. They are rather well thought of in reviews and certainly cost effective without being a cheap one. Ruger is a good company.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ICEN View Post
    Do gun shops actually check if the guns work before hand ? Either way he said I could bring it back if it has problems.
    lol hahaha

Whats funny :X
    There is no such thing as Dumb Control

(York County)

Everything. All jokes aside though, I would get your LTCF as soon as you can save up the $20. It will probably save you trouble in the long run.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Lock the slide back then drop the mag out and see if it is any easier. This more closely resembles how it will act with a loaded magazine.
    To elaborate on this:

When an empty magazine is in the firearm the spring in the magazine pushes up the magazine follower into the slide stop and pushes the slide stop up to have the slide stop catch the slide as it is coming forward by the action of the recoil spring.

With an empty mag you have to overcome the friction of the slide being pushed up against the slide stop by the recoil spring AND the force of the magazine spring pushing the follower against the slide stop.

With at least one round in the magazine to push the follower down far enough where it does not contact the slide stop or no magazine inserted you only have to overcome the friction of the recoil spring pushing the slide against the slide stop.

Also the firearm can come from the factory with manufacturing residue and preservatives. These are not necessary lubricants and should be cleans out and the firearm properly lubed tp achieve optimal operation.

Allot of firearms benefit from the break in of being shot a few hundred times and/or dry fired. Some have a specific and documented break in before reliable operation is achieved. Usually the controls will loosen up a bit after this break in period.

My recently purchased Kahr was like this. All the controls where very stiff until I dry fired it and put some rounds down range. It had a documented break in period of 200 rounds. Although I did not have any failures during this time.

However because your firearm was purchased used issues with lubrication and break in are probably not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tcc722 View Post
    Everything. All jokes aside though, I would get your LTCF as soon as you can save up the $20. It will probably save you trouble in the long run.
    A cleaning kit should be high on the list ,then get some snap caps to practice with. Snap caps are nice to practice magazine drills and cuts down on potential firing pin wear from dry firing. On most modern firearms this is not an issue but it cant hurt.
    Last edited by QuackXP; January 21st, 2014 at 05:28 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

I will buy some ammo today or tomorrow then see how it shoots.
    Hopefully it works well.

Do gun shops actually check if the guns work before hand ? Either way he said I could bring it back if it has problems.

Also is there any certain 9mm ammo/grain I should specifically look at because I myself did not look up alot about the 9mm simply because I was expecting to get a .40, 357 sig or 10mm.... who would have thought I got a 9mm instead
    Not in my experience do any gun shops do a range check of a used firearm or a new firearm. Generally only a visual check is performed and maybe a dry fire at most. So you will have to rely on your factory warranty.

As far as ammo 115 or 124 gr FMJ standard pressure is good for plinking or training at the range. The SR9c is perfectly capable of handling +P loads and I do use that load for all carry ammo. If I am loading a JHP I generally use Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P. I also frequently load CorBon DPX 115gr. Hornady, Winchester, and Federal produce equally as good defensive ammo. Whatever carry ammo you choose make sure you run adequate rounds through to be assured of reliable function.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto21 View Post
    Not in my experience do any gun shops do a range check of a used firearm or a new firearm. Generally only a visual check is performed and maybe a dry fire at most. So you will have to rely on your factory warranty.

As far as ammo 115 or 124 gr FMJ standard pressure is good for plinking or training at the range. The SR9c is perfectly capable of handling +P loads and I do use that load for all carry ammo. If I am loading a JHP I generally use Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P. I also frequently load CorBon DPX 115gr. Hornady, Winchester, and Federal produce equally as good defensive ammo. Whatever carry ammo you choose make sure you run adequate rounds through to be assured of reliable function.
    I was watching a video of Underwood ammo that looked pretty amazing. I can't remember if it was 115g or something else but I think it was 115g and it was around 1450fps.

It was tnoutdoors9 or whatever his channel is called, I usually watch him for test on ammo since he does the best test and the gel test looked like that ammo was great. I know another thing to consider is the penetration and what people wear but the gel looked pretty messed up from that ammo.

Also another thing is that ammo is coming close to .357 sig balistics and lower .357 magnum balistics. Of course not the same but its close.
    If I remember right 9mm and .357 sig are both the same diameter, but that underwood +p+ puts you up in .357 sig ranges and most of us should know the .357 sig is ment to duplicate that one .357 magnum load.

Thats why I personally would like to carry something like that because the fact that its coming close to that load interest me and the test looked good as well.

Also I know you are not suppose to shoot +p+ On a regular basis, I thought maybe just as carry rounds with some shooting before hand to see if the rounds work right. Also if I read the Ruger manual right it says it can handle it.

Actually it may have been the underwood 124g that I liked, or maybe it was the 115g I forgot either those rounds look sweet.
    The 115g Underwood opened up to .889 Cal but some may one more penetration than 10inch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ7ri9wa728
    Last edited by ICEN; January 21st, 2014 at 08:22 PM.

You are right about the bullets being the same diameter between 9mm and .357 sig, the big difference is the extra case capacity you get from the .40 case which gives it more velocity. Due to the lower case capacity, I doubt you'll ever actually get to .357 levels with a 9mm, but its still a decent self defense caliber as far as I'm concerned. Although the Ruger probably can handle +p+ loads, I certainly wouldn't fire it on a regular basis, honestly you'd probably be fine with regular SD ammo, but whatever floats your boat. Congrats on the new pistol, and enjoy

(Lackawanna County)

A question for those of you who have this gun.
    Is the slide release suppose to be useable as a slide release or is it ment for a slide stop as in just keeping it locked back.

Because when I press down on the slide release/stop, its very hard to push down and seems like it doesn't want to go down, instead I have to hold the slide back then release the button.

I have the manual I don't know if its in their I'll check but I was wondering from those who have this gun if its ment as a slide stop or an actual slide release.

Oh and I tried to take the slide off which was funny because I didn't know that I had to press the slide stop up which will keep the slide open :O. for some reason in the manual they made it seem as if you just keep the slide open with one hand he he he

I will buy some ammo today or tomorrow then see how it shoots.
    Hopefully it works well.

Also is there any certain 9mm ammo/grain I should specifically look at because I myself did not look up alot about the 9mm simply because I was expecting to get a .40, 357 sig or 10mm.... who would have thought I got a 9mm instead
    My slide lock does work as a release, but it is a little tight. It is much easier when it is loaded or when there is no magazine inserted. I guess I have a strong right thumb.

As for ammo, I have had no problem with any brand. I did have a few FTE when I tried some subsonic round in it just for the Hell of it, but I don't really count that because I don't blame the gun for them.

Do any of you find the slide groves sharp on your fingers?
    If you do it a few times its not that much of a big deal but if you keep messing with the slide I noticed that the engraved groves on the slide feel like a dull knife pressing up against my fingers.

Yes those grooves act as grip but its because it feels like a blade gripping my skin! No seriously though if I keep messing with the slide I noticed my fingers hurt. Of course if you are shooting on the range and only racking the slide 1-5 times it may not bother you, but I am just saying for those grooves I did not expect them to be so sharp feeling after a while of messing with the slide.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast