Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Post FFL Dealer business (relationship question)

Hey all, this is technically my first post, so sorry if I sound a little clueless (or a lot clueless). I'll learn fast, I promise.

First of all, let me start by saying, I'm 22, and pretty new to the firearm ownership scene, though I've been an NRA member and GOA member since I was 18 as Ive supported the principles my whole life.

In trying to keep this short and sweet, I'll hit ya with my question, regarding FFL dealers. From what I understand, when you purchase certain firearms they can be shipped to a FFL dealer, then I would go to the store (assuming its a store) and pay a transfer fee, sign some paperwork and pick it up. Am I off on any of this so far?

Regarding the FFL dealer more specifically, I am curious to know what type of relationship the transferee should have with the dealer. What I mean is, is it normal or typical business to just have firearms sent over to any random FFL dealer near-by and drive over without knowing the dealer, give him your name and number, cut a check, sign off on some papers and pick up your gear? Or is it proper to call ahead of time, make sure it is alright, or setup a time /contract/appointment with the dealer ahead of time? or does it take more than that. Like for example, will FFL dealers will not transfer firearms or do business with any old joe they dont know, perhaps wanting to get to know you and you're personal character first before they do any business with you at all?

Having some of these questions answered would really help out. I appreciate your time. Thanks!

Default Re: FFL Dealer business (relationship question)

You need to talk to your local dealer first. In order for a firearm to be shipped to them, they must provide a copy of their FFL to the shipper. Find out what kind of restrictions they have, I have done this with 2 different shops, one charged me $50 and would only accept the shipment from another FFL (old rifle from deceased uncle on west coast). The second was a product that the shop didn't carry, he charged me $25.

Your money needs to be good, and you need be able to pass whatever checks the shop will run as required by law.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in PA View Post
    You need to talk to your local dealer first. In order for a firearm to be shipped to them, they must provide a copy of their FFL to the shipper. Find out what kind of restrictions they have, I have done this with 2 different shops, one charged me $50 and would only accept the shipment from another FFL (old rifle from deceased uncle on west coast). The second was a product that the shop didn't carry, he charged me $25.

Your money needs to be good, and you need be able to pass whatever checks the shop will run as required by law.
    Awesome, you've been most helpful.

(Centre County)

What DAve in PA said is how it goes. You really are better off cultivating a relationship with your local dealer. It can help in many ways in the future. As he said the sending FFL needs to know where he is sending the gun. To do this he needs to know he is sending it to another FFL and as such the receiving FFL will send a copy of the license to the sending FFL.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

No, it is not normal to have firearms sent blindly to a dealer without their prior consent. First, not all dealers engage in transactions where they aren't the selling party. That is, they prefer to sell out of their stock rather than out of someone else's inventory. Others will act as a local transferring agent only, so you're on your own if there's a problem with the gun. That said, you might want to draw up a list of questions for prospective dealers. Such as:
    • Fee for internet sales?
    • Schedule for all transfer-related fees?
    • Will they check headspace on military surplus weapons?
    • How they handle returns? If so, are there separate fees?
    • Do they bill you for shipping or the seller if it's misrepresented?
    • Who's responsible for packaging?
    Basically try to think of anything that can go wrong, and ask first. Also I'd ask if they have any additional requirements. It never hurts to ask, and I'd ask as many local FFLs as possible. When finished, you should have a fairly comprehensive list of local dealers that you can compare side-to-side.

Many FFLs operate out of their homes, so you might consider asking whether they want a visit first, or at least their hours.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html