Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hopps verus ?

(Allegheny County)

Question Hopps verus ?

The new to getting so much trigger time, I need some help. If I cleaned my guns I usually did it out on the back porch, so using Hopps wasn't much of a problem. Now that it's too cold for the back porch I cleaned today in my basement. The question is, do barrels really need to be cleaned with Hopps, or is there something with less of an odor. That stuff really stinks in a closed area and if you happen to get just one drop on you, you smell it the rest of the day. As a side note my barrels are generally dirty, but I never noticed any kind of crud building up in them. All suggestions are welcome.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Hopps verus ?

I used to use Hoppe's all the time. That was until I ordered a complete upper from BCM and they threw in a sample of SLIP 2000 EWL - Extreme Weapons Lube. Now, that's all I use on ALL of my guns; it's a cleaner and lube in one and has no scent. I can't believe how good it works and how easy it makes cleaning. Check it out and do some research, I don't think you'll be disappointed if you try it. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/816...il-4-oz-liquid
    Last edited by TheGhost27; January 19th, 2014 at 12:38 AM. Reason: typo
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    The new to getting so much trigger time, I need some help. If I cleaned my guns I usually did it out on the back porch, so using Hopps wasn't much of a problem. Now that it's too cold for the back porch I cleaned today in my basement. The question is, do barrels really need to be cleaned with Hopps, or is there something with less of an odor. That stuff really stinks in a closed area and if you happen to get just one drop on you, you smell it the rest of the day. As a side note my barrels are generally dirty, but I never noticed any kind of crud building up in them. All suggestions are welcome.
    You can't be talking about Hoppe's No. 9. Real gun guys wear that for cologne. I use it instead of body wash.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Philadelphia County)

I use Weapon Shield. Gets the worst of the gunk off and much less volatile.

I still use Hoppes every once in a while, but the barrel doesn't need to be stripped clean of the last molecule of copper after every box of ammo.

Montana Extreme or Bore tech Eliminator. They do stink, they get the copper fouling out, though. Bore tech is a PA based company and the owner's last name is Rambo, so that's cool.

Most gun oils out there suck. Synthetic motor oil is where it's at.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    You can't be talking about Hoppe's No. 9. Real gun guys wear that for cologne. I use it instead of body wash.
    Manly men use it as mouth wash too..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    You'll need something to clean out carbon/powder, copper, and maybe lead if you are shooting lead bullets. I have not found one "do it all" product that works as advertised. As someone mentioned, you won't have to strip copper or lead everytime, but will need to depending on the gun and how much you shoot. Hoppes #9 isn't a part of my kit anymore. I use dedicated carbon and copper removers.

I have found the kg industries carbon remover to be outstanding, eats carbon up, period.

I use Montana extreme, butches bore shine, and sweets for copper. Montana for the extreme cases, and the other two for normal copper fouling. All of these should be used in a well ventilated area, and as directed on the bottle. Follow up the copper remover with a quality oil.

There a host of non-toxic products out there as well like boretech as mentioned. I just find that they take a lot longer to actually get copper out, especially in extremely fouled barrels.

If you cant clean in a well ventilated area, go with the non-toxs. If u can, go with something stronger.

Just my opinion.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Montana Extreme or Bore tech Eliminator. They do stink, they get the copper fouling out, though. Bore tech is a PA based company and the owner's last name is Rambo, so that's cool.

Most gun oils out there suck. Synthetic motor oil is where it's at.
    So is hoppies, well not the Rambo part buy yah go Pa.

I have found that hopped is best used as anal lube

Lately I have gotten into the m pro 7 stuff. Their cleaner smells like a mild soap, much easier to use than hoppes indoors. I can sit at the kitchen table and clean guns while my wife cooks dinner and kids do homework and no one complains about the smell. It's all supposed to be non toxic

(Chester County)

I am an MPro 7 fan now also. It cleans well, and doesn't have an odor. I also like their lube. If you can't find it in a shop order it from Midway, Amazon, or some other on line retailer.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3hnwaee4bk_e

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast