Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Westmoreland gunshop road trip

I wanted to get out before the weather turns nasty again, I started out at Johnson’s Gun depot south of Greensburg. I did find a BSA Bore site for $50.00 not a great deal but no one else had one.
    His prices on guns seemed a little high, he did have a large selection of both handguns and Rifles.

Next stop was Gander Mountain in Greensburg. No used guns, they did seem to be having a sale on a couple new Rifles, not anything worth a trip down for. They seemed to be pretty well stocked on most ammo, with the exception being 22LR, I did not see any. Also not much in the way of reloading supplies, I saw a few primers on the shelf.

Next was the Gun Vault very few used rifles he did have several used pistols. No great deals on anything I saw. Not much in the way of reloading supplies, he did have a few cans of powder, The price was a little high, His price for a can of IMR is $28.00.

Last stop was Bee’s in Saltsburg he was getting low on everything, I did get a can of IMR 4350 for $22.99 and a box of Hornady 7mm 154 grain bullets. I did hear Ken tell one guy he had 22LR ammo, I think he said they were about $2.50 for a box of 50. I would call first he said they were getting low on them.

I did also see nice metal Ammo cans at Gander and Johnson’s, Both places wanted just under $20.00 each for them.
    The Monroeville gun show had them for $15.00 each. The ones I saw today are in much better shape no rust.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Westmoreland gunshop road trip

And here all I did was post on the forum. I could have been your co-pilot!

Closest thing to a road trip for me has been the gun show.

(Westmoreland County)

If I make it through this next snow storm I may take you up on the offer, I need to make a trip down to Ace in Washington County, I have heard a lot of good about them on here. I would also like to get out to Grice in Clearfield, I have not been out there in a couple years, The car museum is worth the trip if nothing else.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    If I make it through this next snow storm I may take you up on the offer, I need to make a trip down to Ace in Washington County, I have heard a lot of good about them on here. I would also like to get out to Grice in Clearfield, I have not been out there in a couple years, The car museum is worth the trip if nothing else.
    Ace & Grice's, that's dangerous territory for me. Don't forget, if you're down at Ace, you're only 20 min from Cabela's.

What's the car museum?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    I recommend both Ace and Grices. I haven't been to the museum yet. if you go to Grices make sure to hit bobs army navy just down the street and dennys beer barrel pub for a burger and wings.

http://www.dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/

http://www.bobsarmynavy.com/

(Allegheny County)

20 years in Pittsburgh and I think the only shops I've been to are:

Braverman's - Wilkinsburg
    Powell's - Penn Hills
    Verona Gun Safe - Verona
    Fazi Firearms - Plum? Penn Hills? Monroeville? (not really sure)
    Anthony Arms - West Mifflin

Of those, none really do anything for me that makes me want to go regularly.

Braverman's - WAY too cramped and I just never feel comfortable there. Any time I've gone in to ask if they carry some sort of shooting accessory, the answer is "No".

Powell's - I like Bill - always helpful, but his "only 2 days a week" is troublesome.

Verona Gun Safe - Meh. Always nice to see a new shop, but it's tiny and not my idea of a gun shop. I DO like that they have the used stuff out where it can be handled.

Fazi's - Wow. I live in a small house, and that shop would fit in my living room. I was there last year "early panic" and it looked like about 6 hunting rifles in a case and about 10 handguns. I have more ammo than they had on the shelf. Owner seemed nice, but it seemed like a place where you go tell him what you want and he orders it. I have no reason to go back.

Anthony Arms - Meh. I bought my first handgun there and paid their high price because the guy at the range was helpful and I appreciated it.
    Aside from that, I've been ignored any time I've been there like every other person who has ever been there. A nice place to go look at a large selection of new guns I guess.
    Haven't been there in years.

(Beaver County)

Man, you should have taken a detour out to Security and Military Depot in Indiana! I still make the two hour trip to shop their or just BS. Can't do it all the time, but seeing the permanent lay off in the near future... I might have some time (less shopping of course).

There was a group of people visiting shops on Saturday, and they mentioned Denny's. First time I ever heard of that place (not that I frequent that area, just pass through en route to Honesdale). I might want to stop now. I need gun/traveling friends. My fiance doesn't like long car trips.

I've never been to Ace's, and I wasn't stoked about my two visits to Grices. (not bad, just nothing for me at the time)

(Westmoreland County)

I think I'm taking my own mini tour tomorrow. Ace then Cabelas. Two of my favorite places.

Next time you're doing a tour in Westmoreland - check out Bouldins in downtown Irwin. Small shop but their prices are usually pretty good and they're friendly.

(Westmoreland County)

After yesterday I will most likely not be doing anymore road trips for a while.
    Saturday after the Gun show in Monroeville I stopped into Dunham to pick up some cleaning supplies I could not find at the show.
    In the rack they had two real nice Mitchell’s Mausers and a bunch of Mosin Naget rifles. With sale tags on them, The one Mauser is in very good condition with matching wood.

Long store short I needed to go back into Monroeville yesterday. They still had the nicer of the two Mausers. So my Mauser collection now has an 8MM to go with the 7X57, 308, and 30.06.

Sorry I did not look at the Mosin Naget rifles very close, I do know they had about 8 of them and I believe the price was less than $150.00 each on sale. I ask the guy behind the counter how long the sale would run, he said it was an end of season sale and would run till they sold what was in the rack.

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: Westmoreland gunshop road trip

Check this local GS out. I know he has very good pricing on all of his inventory. I get all my stuff from him.

http://www.cdsarms.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast