Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default High FFL price? Is this Normal?

So today I went to a local gun shop in Pa called woodlands world.
    I had to get the car back by 4pm so I could only look around for about 3 minutes. So I walked in to see if they had a smith and wesson sd40ve which they did not.

So I asked the guy if he could order one or what the price would be if I got one shipped to their gun shop. He kind of confused me because I was in a rush and he spoke fast.

He said that the FFL fee would be $40!!! A year ago it was $35 when I called but actually going in he said $40 for a FFL fee. I assume the FFL fee includes the background check right because if not hell with that.

But the reason why he confused me is because then he said something like he can order it and it would be the same price.... but since I was in a rush I wasn't fully paying attention to what he ment lol.

My question is about the FFL fee though.
    Does the FFL fee include the background check and info you fill out because $40 seems kind of high to me?

So lets put it this way.
    If I go online and find a gun for $320 free shipping and the gun shop gets it, I will then have to pay $40 for the FFL fee which will now equal $360.

Now the sales tax, is the tax included on top of the FFL fee or just how much the actual fire arm cost or is it only the FFL fee since I bought the fire arm off someone online and not the shop?

So I assume it would be
    $320 for the gun free shipping to FFL
    $40 for the FFL fee I hope that includes the background check and papers
    Then sales tax of what the gun or the FFL fee?

I need something that is around a total of $380 or less.
    I want the smith and wesson sd40ve but I also seen a ruger 9mm for about $350 there.
    There is no such thing as Dumb Control

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: High FFL price WTF? Is this Normal?

$40 is high, but you also need to know that there may be different prices for transfers between individuals who come in the shop to do the transfer and between guns that are shipped to the dealer. He's obviously not making any money from a sale when you buy from someone else and have it shipped to him for pick up, so some charge more for that sort of transfer.

I don't know about the tax.

You're not allowed to say "fuck" in thread titles either. Check out the rules and you'll see what I mean.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: High FFL price WTF? Is this Normal?

There are higher places that that.. Try Gander Mountain.. I think they were charging $50-$75 per gun.

When I shipped my AMT Backup II 380 to my dad in Florida two Decembers ago the first shop I contacted wanted $60. After about 5 or 6 calls I found a pawnshop close to my parents house that only wanted $25.

There are a few variables as to what you will be paying and when..

The FFL should only be charging you sales tax for the transfer costs if you buy a gun online, since you paid the seller directly. However, you are required to pay the Use Tax which is the same amount as sales tax. ....so, it comes down to paying it now or later. (yes, you are required to pay Use Tax for any online purchases that were not taxed prior)

If you have the FFL order the gun for you and you are paying the FFL for the gun - you will of course pay sales tax on the gun and whatever transfer fee he charges.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Default Re: High FFL price? Is this Normal?

I guess what I don't understand is what is the difference if I buy the gun online with free shipping or they order it won't it be the same thing?

Budsgunshop has free shipping on their guns so what the heck is the difference of waiting for the gun shop to order it when I can just order it right away???

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by ICEN
    I guess what I don't understand is what is the difference if I buy the gun online with free shipping or they order it won't it be the same thing?

Budsgunshop has free shipping on their guns so what the heck is the difference of waiting for the gun shop to order it when I can just order it right away???
    If you purchase the gun online, the local dealer isn't making any money off of the sale, therefore he charges you a transfer fee so he can make some money for his time/services.

If the dealer is ordering the gun for you, he is most likely including a profit into the price he charges you, and therefore (IMO) there should not be a transfer charge on this kind of transaction.

Furthermore, I do consider $40 high for a transfer, I've paid $50 before but I wasn't happy about it, and I certainly haven't given that FFL any more business. $20-30 is reasonable, to me.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

Screw this I'd rather get the gun from budsgun shop where you get free shipping rather than pay extra for no reason just to say I bought the gun from a local gun shop.

Seriously I doubt that a gun shop basically handing you a shipped gun and giving you a background check is a problem when they get freaking $40 + tax for it. I mean its like selling a piece of paper then saying btw give me $40 for that....

Basically why would I purposely take the more expensive route when I my self do not have loads of money and I am sure the people in the shop make more money then me.

Yea I think I will just order from buds so I pay no tax and get free shipping so I will only have to pay the Tax on the $40 fee instead of the entire gun.

(Cumberland County)

$40 is high ( although not as high as some are charging for sure ). As mentioned, most have a price if you buy from them vs a gun bought elsewhere and shipped to them ( my lgs charges $5 if you buy gun from him, $29 if you don't ). I like to give as much business to my local gun shop as possible, but if Buds or others have a great deal, I'll jump on it! I always take into consideration the extra $24 for the transfer, and the tax I don't pay ordering online ( but pay at tax time ).
    So, If I find a gun for $300 and free shipping, and my local guy has it for $329 or somewhere around there, I buy it from him. But if he wants $369 say, I order it online.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Westmoreland County)

The cost is what it is. They are a business and need to make some money.

If you purchase something from their store, then the cost should be cheaper since that cost is rolled into the actual firearm transaction price, their profit.

If you are performing a transfer or are receiving a shipped firearm, they have a different charge for their time and services rendered.

Don't think they're offering you a service or should be paid for their time? How many places would stay in business if you only paid them 'their cost'?

They have to pay for an employee to perform the service, rent on the building where the transaction occurs. I'm sure as a business they have to have some type of liability insurance for both holding and selling firearms. And if you have an FFL, you have a licensing cost, transaction cost as well as opening yourself up to all kinds of legalities if they perform the transaction incorrectly, document it improperly or you are somehow scamming the system causing them potential grief.

I used to get upset when I saw what some places charge, but after a while I just realized it's a cost of doing business. If I don't like their price, I just look for someplace cheaper. And if you think they should make nothing off of the transfer, go get your own FFL and save the cost for yourself. And if you do, see how long you provide that service to Joe Schmoe for your 'at cost' price.
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

(Luzerne County)

Paying between $20-$30 tops in the wilkes barre scranton area.

(Allegheny County)

you are the reason why the mom-pop shops go out of business when walmart/lowes move into an area. you would rather save a few bucks because it makes you feel good inside then spend a few extra bucks to support your local economy.

i'd rather spend an extra $50 at my LGS, whether they have it now or have to order it, than to get one from some dude that you will never talk to face to face.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast