Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Support National Reciprocity

Link is here. You need an account, which takes what, 2 minutes to sign up?

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1908

Couldn't hurt. Missed last time by a very small margin, like 6 votes IIRC. i know it was wrapped up with a lot of other stuff in the bill, but . . .

My letter:
    Dear Sen. Benjamin Cardin and Sen. Barbara Mikulski: [anti-gun as they get]

I support The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act because as a resident of Maryland I hold carry permits from Utah and Florida (non-resident permits), ergo I have been thoroughly vetted by the FBI.

I am also a Maryland Designated Collector and hold an 03 FFL (commonly known as a C&R) and have an expanding collection of Class III (or NFA) items.

My driver's license is accepted by all states, yet I'm required to navigate a patchwork of statutes when crossing jurisdictions, sometimes resulting in me shedding my Constitutional right of self preservation and self-defense at some arbitrary line seperating states.

I believe a man's moral and ethical obligation to protect his family is inherent in being a father and husband.

It's also my position that the right of self-preservation is natural to all living (and even some non-sentient) things and is the very foundation of THE human right upon which ANY other human rights must rest.

I'd be happy to tesify at any time before Congress on this matter.

Regards,

Maryland_Shooter
    999-999-9999 (cell)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Default Re: Support National Reciprocity

Thanks did my part!

SUPPORT!
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Allegheny County)

Why this needs to be an issue is amazing...it's nothing more than another step in the long line of legislation that is written to keep firearms out of our hands.

My personal feeling is if all states recognize the driver's license from PA, which doesn't require driver's education classes to obtain, then all states should recognize PA's LTCF, which doesn't require classes to obtain.
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(Delaware County)

I've always thought I'd be very supportive of national reciprocity, but then I started to think about it. Perhaps some of the more legal minded members could help assuage my fears here. Doesn't national reciprocity open things up to a potentially oppressive federal government issuing and severely regulating? Or is the hope that this will simply keep the state system, force every state to recognize them, and lax up place like NY or CA's requirements?

The latter.

States issue and regulate their own permit system but they are recognized as lawful by all other states, just like a driver's license.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by m16a View Post
    I've always thought I'd be very supportive of national reciprocity, but then I started to think about it. Perhaps some of the more legal minded members could help assuage my fears here. Doesn't national reciprocity open things up to a potentially oppressive federal government issuing and severely regulating? Or is the hope that this will simply keep the state system, force every state to recognize them, and lax up place like NY or CA's requirements?
    The national reciprocity bill, as specified in Senate 1908, does not establish a federal licensure or qualification system. It establishes, through the interstate commerce clause, a federal preemption to state and their political subdivision laws regarding the possession and carrying of firearms by individuals possessing a license from another state or those residing in the constitutional carry state.

This federal reciprocity would be superimposed over the existing scheme of individual states entering into or statutorily specifying which out-of-state licenses they recognize. It does not replace or otherwise affect the state level system.

Nothing prevents the new federal reciprocity from morphing into a federal license with federal requirements for qualification. Nonetheless, should this occur, there is nothing to prevent reliance on the existing state-level scheme. One could either apply for the federal license or eschew it but it would not affect the use and recognition of one's state license.

There is a reasonable and cogent argument against such statues as the proposed federal reciprocity bill under the 10th amendment provisions – a.k.a. state rights. Arguably it is an infringement to force states to relinquish their rights to determine who can carry a firearm within their borders. We currently have several federal statutes that can be perceived to include such infringement. These include the gun free school zone 18 USC 922 (q), LEOSA 18 USC 926B and retired LEOSA 18 USC 926C.

It should be noted that this national reciprocity bill does not apply to a person while within his own state of residence. Thus, for example, a PA resident could not use the bill's provisions to carry within PA with another state's license - only the licenses of those states which Pennsylvania currently recognizes under statutes or reciprocity agreements would be viable in that instance. A New Jersey resident could not carry in New Jersey, using the provisions of that bill, with any license other than that issued by New Jersey.
    IANAL

Meaning the poor SOBs like m in MD still will be out of luck in MD and maybe lots of other places

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by m16a View Post
    We created this federal government to protect our rights and to defend this nation, even from oppressive member states. One of our rights is to bear arms.. The federal government already has the authority to roll military might into a state and compel it by force to honor our rights.

This bill does nothing more than force the states to honor, in a somewhat limited fashion, our right(privilege since it is by permit/license) to bear arms.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland_Shooter View Post
    Meaning the poor SOBs like m in MD still will be out of luck in MD and maybe lots of other places
    You would be out of luck with respect to using an alien license to carry while within your home state. That same alien license would be afforded recognition in the remaining 49 states and US territories/enclaves. How you transport your firearm in and out of MD is problematic since you cannot rely on the FOPA transportation protection and you are restricted to transporting under very specific categories pursuant to MD Criminal Statute §4 – 203.
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland_Shooter View Post
    While in MD yes...however, you could get a non-res permit from another state that issues them and be able to carry in every other state.

Reading this...I'm assuming (2) covers states like VT that don't issue/require permits to still be able to carry in the other states?

``(a) In General.--Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any
    State or political subdivision thereof to the contrary--
    ``(1) an individual who is not prohibited by Federal law
    from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a
    firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic
    identification document and a valid license or permit which is
    issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the
    individual to carry a concealed firearm, may possess or carry a
    concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive
    device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or
    foreign commerce in any State other than the State of residence
    of the individual that--
    ``(A) has a statute that allows residents of the
    State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed
    firearms; or
    ``(B) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed
    firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes;
    and
    ``(2) an individual who is not prohibited by Federal law
    from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a
    firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic
    identification document and is entitled and not prohibited from
    carrying a concealed firearm in the State in which the
    individual resides otherwise than as described in paragraph
    (1), may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a
    machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or
    transported in interstate or foreign commerce in any State
    other than the State of residence of the individual that--
    ``(A) has a statute that allows residents of the
    State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed
    firearms; or
    ``(B) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed
    firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast