Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default A thought or 3...

First, please know this was a NON-INCIDENT. NOTHING HAPPENED.

A few days ago my dad asked me to meet him at Home Depot in Altoona.

I arrived about 20 minutes early & was just sitting in my pickup enjoying some quiet time when a white Ford van pulled up CLOSE beside me. So close that it would have been impossible to open my door. Thought he was going to take my mirror off.

The driver said "Hey buddy, want to buy some speakers?". I said "No". Then he said, "You don't understand, these are real good wireless speakers...". I replied "I said no. I am not interested" and ran my window up. Before the window was up I heard the fellow in the passenger seat mumble something and the van left as quickly as it arrived.

Again, this was a NON-INCIDENT.

It did however get me thinking about my current method of CC. Usually my right front jeans pocket. I could not have drawn my LCP from my jeans quickly. No way. Nope. Not happening.

What method of carrying do you folks use when driving?

Just curious.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Tioga County)

Default Re: A thought or 3...

I have a holster between the console and the passenger seat unless i have a passenger then I use a shoulder rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post

I arrived about 20 minutes early & was just sitting in my pickup enjoying some quiet time when a white Ford van pulled up CLOSE beside me. So close that it would have been impossible to open my door. Thought he was going to take my mirror off.

The driver said "Hey buddy, want to buy some speakers?". I said "No". Then he said, "You don't understand, these are real good wireless speakers...". I replied "I said no. I am not interested" and ran my window up. Before the window was up I heard the fellow in the passenger seat mumble something and the van left as quickly as it arrived.

It did however get me thinking about my current method of CC. Usually my right front jeans pocket. I could not have drawn my LCP from my jeans quickly. No way. Nope. Not happening.

Just curious.

Ankle-Holster when I drive. I have a Firebird and my .38 is RIGHT there to grab. I usually hike my pant up over the holster when I'm driving. Since NY is CC only, I transfer the .38 to an "in-the-pants" holster when I'm getting out of my car.

JIm from Buffalo

(Blair County)

What bothers me most is how the world has changed.

Hell, I remember going to Herb's in Altoona for a 25 cent Bad Boy Burger. Then to some place on Beale or Broad Avenue for ice cream (I don't remember the name). It was all good.

Now in the little town I live in they arrested a guy last week for having a Meth lab.

It is sad that we as Americans have to arm ourselves to be safe, right here in smalltown America!

I have a shoulder rig but have never used it because I live alone and do not have anyone to help me adjust it.

I have a car holster for my Bond Arms derringer and am damn near ready to start wearing it.

(Westmoreland County)

Just curious.
    Wow. Deja Vu all over again. The same thing happened to me about 25 odd years ago in a municipal city lot in the town I live. Also a white van. Kind of cut me off and blocked my egress as I was exiting the lot. I told them to get lost or I was gonna have the lot attendant call the cops.

ETA: Almost forgot, several manufacturers market holsters that bolt to or otherwise attach to the floor board. Best practice is to remove your pistol from it's holster and place it in the "vehicle holster" and then back to your belt holster when you exit.
    Last edited by TonyF; May 25th, 2008 at 12:15 AM.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Wow. Deja Vu all over again. The same thing happened to me about 25 odd years ago in a municipal city lot in the town I live. Also a white van. Kind of cut me off and blocked my egress as I was exiting the lot. I told them to get lost or I was gonna have the lot attendant call the cops.

ETA: Almost forgot, several manufacturers market holsters that bolt to or otherwise attach to the floor board. Best practice is to remove your pistol from it's holster and place it in the "vehicle holster" and then back to your belt holster when you exit.
    Tony,

I was parked out by the street so my father would notice my truck. There is no security at Home Depot, so I reckon I was on my own.

It just concerned me when the van pulled up so close I could not have opened my door (which I realized immediately).

Like I said, this was a non-incident and I did not even think much of it until later, when I realized my LCP would have been totally useless in my jeans pocket.

It is truly a shame how the world has changed. Hell, 10 years ago I would have felt safe WALKING in down town Altoona. Now people are afraid to drive there.

I remember when my sister was in McGee's Women's Hospital in 2001. I walked to the pharmacy a couple blocks away at night. I felt safe going alone, and no, I was NOT carrying.

Times have sure changed.

Beware of tailgaters, I was once pinned in *almost* on the North East side of Buffalo going to a gig. I left myself enough room in front to pull out if necessary. A white Buick rode up on my rear bumper and tried to get me to creep forward. When I didn't, I saw 4 guys all hop out of the Buick and start approaching my vehicle. I dumped the clutch, stood on the gas and swerved into oncoming traffic to get outta there. Yes, I had my .38 on me but the next night when I had to travel through the same area, I packed my .45 Kimber in a Jack-Ass rig just in case.
    Once mugged (was overseas) twice wary. (I got my CCW in NY State thereafter)

ViolinJim.

(Lawrence County)

I drive to Harrisburg a lot, and when I do, I carry cross-draw...

Chazworksformeman321
    I like guns... And boobs...

Jailkeeper, I too am familiar with the area (Altoona). The sorry part is I actually
    moved out this way to get away from what is beginning to happen here.
    While driving I use a Galco paddle holster. It is adjustable from strong side to cross draw.

Jack

(Delaware County)

What bothers me most is how the world has changed.

Hell, I remember going to Herb's in Altoona for a 25 cent Bad Boy Burger. Then to some place on Beale or Broad Avenue for ice cream (I don't remember the name). It was all good.

Now in the little town I live in they arrested a guy last week for having a Meth lab.

It is sad that we as Americans have to arm ourselves to be safe, right here in smalltown America!

I have a shoulder rig but have never used it because I live alone and do not have anyone to help me adjust it.

I have a car holster for my Bond Arms derringer and am damn near ready to start wearing it.
    Welcome to liberal infested America, where common sense has died a horrible death. Crooks, bums and scumbags have no fear of the law.

In our society, the criminals have more rights than the victims.

The society which I grew up in is long gone. I don't expect it to return in my life time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast