Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Spotting scope recommendations please (100yds max)

Right now I only have access to short distance indoor ranges. I have a small monocular I use so I don't have to bring the target back and forth so often. When the weather gets nicer, I would like to properly sight my rifles at 100yds. So I'm looking for a decent spotting scope. I'm a firm believer in "buy once, cry once" but since i'm only looking at 100yds, I don't want go overkill too much.

I read a few of the threads here recommending spotting scopes. Seems like the 80mm Konus is highly regarded. But information overload has me confused, as usual.

Here's my criteria:
    - Long eye relief (i wear strong prescription glasses)
    - Clear optics for seeing .22 or .224 holes @ up to 100yds (again, horrible eyesight)
    - Will be sighting in irons and 1x optics (Eotech 512, Aimpoint Pro, Primary Arms Microdot... might buy a 1-4x scope for my .22 in the near future)
    - Compact (would be nice but not necessary)
    - Including tripod not important (have a decent CF one for my camera)

I've been looking at Konus, Celestron, Redfield and Nikon.

Lastly, anyone have experience with the Kenko Lens2scope adapter for DSLR lenses. It seems like a compromise solution compared to a dedicated scope. But I could use my Nikon camera lenses.

Sorry for being wordy and all the questions but I will appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Spotting scope recommendations please (100yds max)

Got this one (or very close to it) for my Dad several years ago, he's been happy with it.

http://www.bearbasin.net/product_p/bur300111.htm

Dale

(Allegheny County)

I just got the Konus and love it except for the eye relief espically at max magnification.

You can easily see .223 holes in white, black or splatter targets at 100yds. At 200 splatter targets are easy to see, white is possible, I could see some in black but not all.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

I'll second the Konus Sport as one of the best scopes for the money. However, you didn't mention a price point? There are better scopes out there at 3-7 times the price of the Konus.

Unfortunately, when it comes to researching a scope, the best method is to check out other peoples scopes at the range. Just because one scope has a 80MM objective lens and 60X zoom doesn't mean another scope with a 66MM objective and a fixed 25X eye piece is not as good.

Take a look at the Kowa line. They are more money, but the clarity and light gathering capability is probably second to none. Plus you buy the eye piece separate from the body depending on your needs.
    Last edited by Hawk; January 14th, 2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

dk99385> Thanks, I'll check out the Burris on my next trip to Cabelas.
    QuarkXP> Thanks for the feedback on the Konus.
    Hawk> I didn't list a price because I was wondering how much additional benefit I would get using a nicer scope at only 100 yds. Longer distance I could see the benefit. Like if the Kowa optics will destroy the Konus at 100yds, I will definitely shell out the cash. Just trying to avoid overkill. Thanks.

(Delaware County)

My first comment is that if you overspend on a quality optic, it will be painful for only a short period of time and you will always be happy with a good choice. On the other hand, if you don't spend enough, it will be painful every time you look through the scope and you still won't be happy.

I looked and looked and ended up with a Nikon 82mm Angled field scope that I use on a full size heavy camera tripod. The models have change in the last few years and the current model is $200 more than mine. They go up, not down.

If you spend a decent amount for a good scope you will use it for other things also. If you change your mind and decide to sell it, you will be able to sell it here on this forum Good ones go up in price over time if you buy right.

I have a couple of scopes that I bought cheap and are sitting in the box they came in the basement. I would not even dream of trying to sell the cheap ones. They are painful to look through. The Nikon? No problem. There are a good number of nice scopes out there. If you can try some out and look through them before buying that would be good. If you go to a range, ask the other guys if you can look through theirs You know gun guys love to talk about how they made their choices.