Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Thumbs up Sheriff Bunny's Firearms Safety Class

http://www.unionvilletimes.com/?p=20247

County officials team up for firearms safety course
    January 11, 2014

D.A., sheriff want gun owners to be educated, responsible
    Chester County Sheriff Carolyn "Bunny" Welsh (right) is teaming with Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan to offer citizens a firearms safety course.

Chester County Sheriff Carolyn “Bunny” Welsh (right) is teaming with Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan to offer citizens a firearms safety course.

In Chester County, the right to bear arms carries a responsibility for safety, according to Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan and Chester County Sheriff Carolyn “Bunny” Welsh, who are jointly sponsoring a basic firearms safety course.

The course will take place from 6 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, January 15, at the Chester County Government Services Center, 601 Westtown Road, Room 171, West Chester, 19380.

In the course, certified firearms instructors and prosecutors will teach the basic knowledge, skills, and conduct necessary for the safe and proper use of firearms for sport and self-defense. In short, the instructors will cover how to shoot a gun and when to shoot a gun. The course will stress fundamental techniques and current Pennsylvania law.

“Sheriff Welsh and I are proud to sponsor this firearm safety course,” said Hogan. “In Chester County, we understand that the right to bear arms includes the obligation to be a responsible gun owner. Our instructors will cover the nuts-and-bolts of properly using and securing firearms.”

Welsh said she felt the collaboration would “provide this important education and share this valuable information with our citizens. Training like this can save lives.”

To register, people should contact Deputy Sheriff Noah Hughes at nhughes@chesco.org or District Attorney Chief of Staff Charles Gaza at cgaza@chesco.org. Space is limited. Please note that personal firearms are not permitted in the Government Services Center. The instructors will provide all necessary equipment for the course.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Sheriff Bunny's Firearms Safety Class

On the face of it, this sounds positive: encouraging firearm ownership rather than a gun buyback.

But I'm always suspicious of motives. Is Sheriff Bunny generally considered to be pro-gun? If this was Phila, I suspect they would use the signup sheet as a quasi-gun-registration database.

(Chester County)

Sheriff Bunny is very pro 2A and is really well liked in the county. I don't think there is anything bad going on here. It would be political suicide for her.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    If this was Phila, I suspect they would use the signup sheet as a quasi-gun-registration database.
    I think the list of LTCF holders would be a better list of gunowners, not just the ones that sign up for a class.

Be safe (and on "the" list already).

Scott

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    I think the list of LTCF holders would be a better list of gunowners, not just the ones that sign up for a class.

Scott
    What about "gunowners" with rifles, shotguns?

the participant's firearms will be fitted with a special micro chip to aid in safety

just kidding. if there truly is no malice i think this is a good thing
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    On the face of it, this sounds positive: encouraging firearm ownership rather than a gun buyback.

But I'm always suspicious of motives. Is Sheriff Bunny generally considered to be pro-gun? If this was Phila, I suspect they would use the signup sheet as a quasi-gun-registration database.

She is pro gun. Last year she made national news because her office raffled off an (AR I think). She took a bit of flack from people saying that she was being insensitive and irresponsible especially after Sandy Hook. She did not back down or apologize.

Edited to add a couple of links to threads about her raffle.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...un-raffle.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/217...undraiser.html
    Last edited by internet troll; January 13th, 2014 at 10:14 AM.

(Chester County)

As others have said, Bunny Welch is very pro 2A, and good to go, as a supporter. I am actually a bit surprised, as Chester County has changed dramatically in the past thirty years, as have all the burbs, but she is excellent, and we need to thank her more.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    As others have said, Bunny Welch is very pro 2A, and good to go, as a supporter. I am actually a bit surprised, as Chester County has changed dramatically in the past thirty years, as have all the burbs, but she is excellent, and we need to thank her more.
    It's been my experience that the liberal leaning people I've met in rural Chesco are pro 2A. Sometimes it's not all black and white.

The Lancaster County Sheriff started a similar program last year. Information is available at their website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast