Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Can you differentiate DAO vs. Striker fired for me?

Of the following terms I clearly understand the difference between single action, double/single action, and double action.

I do not understand, in mechanical or technical terms, the real difference between DA, DAO, and Striker fired.

The question comes up because the literature with my new S&W Bodyguard says it is a "true" DAO and NOT striker fired. Can any body make this clear?

And why would DA not also be DAO? Aren't these two the same?

SA

DA

DA/SA

DAO

Striker Fired

Default Re: Can you differentiate DAO vs. Striker fired for me?

I can say on a SCCY which is DAO a small hammer cocks and releases as you pull the trigger, and on a XD the striker is cocked as the slide goes rearward wich results in a MUCH lighter trigger pull.

(York County)

Most striker fired pistols use a pre-loaded or semi-cocked striker, which occurs when chambering a cartridge. The slide moves back which engages the rearward movement of the striker, as the slide moves foward to chamber the cartridge, the striker stays either fully or partially locked rearward. Pulling the trigger will either release a fully rearward or cocked striker, or will finish moving the partially loaded striker rearward before release resulting in a lighter trigger pull vs a true DAO system.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Of the following terms I clearly understand the difference between single action, double/single action, and double action.

I do not understand, in mechanical or technical terms, the real difference between DA, DAO, and Striker fired.

The question comes up because the literature with my new S&W Bodyguard says it is a "true" DAO and NOT striker fired. Can any body make this clear?

And why would DA not also be DAO? Aren't these two the same?

SA

DA

DA/SA

DAO

Striker Fired
    Strikers are basically spring-loaded firing pins, everything else refers to action types.

some reading for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firing_pin

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...#Double-action

hope this helps

(Allegheny County)

It'll be helpful to understand what SA and DA are. Actions are things that the trigger pull does.

In a Single Action (SA) trigger, the ONLY/SINGLE function of the trigger is to release the hammer. The hammer then falls on a firing pin, which strikes the cartridge, and fires the round. For example: In a 1911, slide/hammer has to be cocked before the trigger can do anything; same with a single-action revolver - manually cock hammer, (aim), shoot, manually cock hammer, (aim), shoot; repeat as necessary. 1911's and single-action revolvers are "SAO" - single action only.

In a Double Action (DA) trigger, the FIRST function of the trigger is to cock the hammer - in a DA revolver, you can see the hammer pulling back as you squeeze the trigger. The SECOND function of the trigger is to release the hammer. The hammer then falls on a firing pin, which strikes the cartridge, and fires the round. DA triggers have much heavier trigger pull weights because it has to overcome the spring tensions of the hammer spring - to cock the hammer. Most revolvers allow you to manually (with thumb or another appendage) cock the hammer first, making the trigger pull serve only a single function of releasing the hammer. But there are some, like self-defense-oriented snubbies, that have shrouded/protected hammers, making the gun "DAO" - double action only.

Often times, in a DA/SA trigger, if the gun is decocked (like in a lot of Sig's), the initial trigger pull is a DA pull (has to cock hammer, then release), but the recoil of the slide cocks the hammer for subsequent shots (negating the necessary first function of the trigger), making subsequent trigger pulls single action. That is, until you decock the gun, then you'll have to have a DA trigger pull again (unless you manually cock the hammer first).

A striker-fired pistol, to my understanding, is a blend, or in-between, of SAO and DAO. There is no hammer perse. The striker is the firing pin. The striker is also what gets loaded with spring tension, like a hammer in other guns. Usually, the trimer is partially cocked, not fully. And each trigger pull serves to complete the cocking of the striker, and the release of the striker. To me, that's very close to the definition of a DAO, since it serves two functions, and you can't "pre-cock" the hammer/striker manually. HOWEVER, it's not Truely DA because in a DA gun, all you have to do to fire one, is to pull the trigger (cocks and releases hammer/striker). In a striker-fired gun, the initial partial cocking or priming of the striker has to be done via the slide cycling, like a single action pistol. That's why when you have a striker-fired gun is in "hammer down" or "striker forward" condition, there is no way to fire the gun without cocking the slide again. But since the cocking of the striker is already partially done by the slide cycling, the trigger pull is usually lighter than a DA trigger pull, but not as light as a SA trigger.

Think of it this way:
    Single Action - if the hammer is down or striker is forward, pulling of the trigger does absolutely nothing. Most times, the trigger is already is the "fired" or rear-most position, so you can't even really pull on it. To dry-fire the gun, you will have to cock the gun manually with every trigger pull.

Double Action - even in an empty gun, the hammer and firing pin cycles every time you pull the trigger. Take a DA revolver with empty cylinder, the cylinder turns every time you completely pull the trigger (dry-firing), and the hammer will fall on the firing pin every time. All you have to do to practice dry-firing, is to pull the trigger.

Striker-fired - acts like a DA trigger when everything is functioning (with loaded rounds), and slide is cycling. But try to dry-fire the gun, it'll be like a single action, where you have to cock the striker via the slide with every trigger pull.

Malfunctions - in cases where you have light primer strikes or a faulty round that didn't go off, with a SA or striker-fired gun, you need to rack the slide or cock the hammer to either clear the round or give the round another go. In a DA gun, all you have to do to give it another go, is to pull the trigger. In a semi-auto handgun, DA will let the firing pin fall on the same cartridge again. In a revolved, pulling the trigger again will just go to the next round.

Hope this helps?

(Bucks County)

One of the disadvantages to a true striker-fired is the inability to execute a second hit on a dud round. There is no way to re-cock the striker other than racking the slide rearward. Some designs do allow the second hit, and is usually emphasized in the product description.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    One of the disadvantages to a true striker-fired is the inability to execute a second hit on a dud round. There is no way to re-cock the striker other than racking the slide rearward. Some designs do allow the second hit, and is usually emphasized in the product description.
    Personally, I don't think that benefit is very important and it wouldn't be considered when shopping for a DA/SA or striker fire gun for me. I have used my p229 to hit the same round twice at the range before. So it did come in handy, but a simple rack of the slide and your back in action. YMMV
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Bucks County)

Personal importance, subjective, like any choice of firearm. I'm not saying it is or is not important on a personal basis. The intent of the post was to point out that the situation exist.

Good safety practice is to hold a dud pointed downrange or safe direction for 30 seconds before taking corrective action. Kind of handy to be able to just squeeze the trigger again, and (hopefully) skip the other 28 seconds.

(Lehigh County)

Also do not confuse the terms DA, SA, DAO vs Striker-fired. As mentioned DA/SA/DAO refers to what action the trigger do when you pull it.

Whereas Striker-fired is the mechanism used in firing the round. e.g. Striker-fired vs Hammer-fired.

Not sure if someone discussed DAO already. Some guns are DAOnly. meaning after the first round, it doesn't leave the hammer cocked. I believe SCCY CPX are like this.

Someone corrects me if I'm wrong... when it's DAO, it usually means it had double strike capability... Like is a round fails to fire, you can keep pulling the trigger where the hammer & firing pin strikes the primer again(and hope it fires that time).

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen784 View Post

Malfunctions - in cases where you have light primer strikes or a faulty round that didn't go off, with a SA or striker-fired gun, you need to rack the slide or cock the hammer to either clear the round or give the round another go. In a DA gun, all you have to do to give it another go, is to pull the trigger. In a semi-auto handgun, DA will let the firing pin fall on the same cartridge again. In a revolved, pulling the trigger again will just go to the next round.
    A GREAT WRITE-UP! Rep sent.

Point of clarification -- Pulling the trigger or manually cocking the hammer on a DA revolver will advance the cylinder another chamber to a fresh round, assuming the cylinder is fully loaded. It won't fire the "dud" chamber until that chamber indexes with the barrel again.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast