Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Question Gun purchase online

I have an idea of the handgun I want and I have noticed the gun stores around my area don't carry it or at least they don't have it posted on their site. I found a site where I can order it off of and they have to send it to a place with a FFL (Federal Firearms License) I'm curious as to how this works and if anyone has ever dealt with this situation before and knows what is required to go through the process. I'm not 21 yet so I can't purchase it and really see what it says I have to do to complete the order and pick up the gun I purchased. Does anyone know if you'd have to contact the shop you are sending it to first or does the site you ordered off of notify them? Or does anyone know if I could go to a shop and ask them to order it?

If I was 21 and legal to buy it I'd go to the shop and ask myself but I don't really want to waste time by getting there and either not allowed in or having someone go through a lot of trouble just to get a answer and not be able to do anything... If anyone has other suggestions or answers it is greatly appreciated and I would like to hear what others have to say. Thank you.
    Last edited by Clyde1993; January 10th, 2014 at 09:02 PM.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Gun purchase online

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde1993 View Post
    I have an idea of the handgun I want and I have noticed the gun stores around my area don't carry it or at least they don't have it posted on their site. I found a site where I can order it off of and they have to send it to a place with a FFL (Federal Firearms License) I'm curious as to how this works and if anyone has ever dealt with this situation before and knows what is required to go through the process. I'm not 21 yet so I can't purchase it and really see what it says I have to do to complete the order and pick up the gun I purchased. Does anyone know if you'd have to contact the shop you are sending it to first or does the site you ordered off of notify them? Or does anyone know if I could go to a shop and ask them to order it? If I was 21 and legal to buy it I'd go to the shop and ask myself but I don't really want to waste time by getting there and either not allowed in or having someone go through a lot of trouble just to get a answer and not be able to do anything... If anyone has other suggestions or answers it is greatly appreciated and I would like to hear what others have to say. Thank you.
    You simply order the gun online and they will ship it to whatever local FFL you choose. Your local FFL will charge you a fee and will process the background check. This is probably the easiest method.

Yes, you could also ask your local FFL to order the gun for you, they may or may not do it, but you won't know until you ask.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Bucks County)

If you're not 21 you're not getting it ... But as to your question... Policy is explicitly stated on all reputable online dealers. Get a copy of your FFLs license and send it to them. Or have the FFL send direct. Then they ship to the FFL you supplied. FFL calls you when it arrives. You go in give your DL get the PICS check and play the transfer fee

Also what do you mean "you have an idea of what handgun you want"?

There should be zero do it and you should know exactly what you're buying, why you're buying and how to operate it. Should also take a safety class first if you've never owned.
    Last edited by Mjs84; January 10th, 2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCGS View Post
    You simply order the gun online and they will ship it to whatever local FFL you choose. Your local FFL will charge you a fee and will process the background check. This is probably the easiest method.

Yes, you could also ask your local FFL to order the gun for you, they may or may not do it, but you won't know until you ask.
    Well that works for me. When I can I'll have to go and ask a place to see if they cold order it. Other than that I'll probably just end up ordering it. Thank you.

(Chester County)

You can't just order it in to look at it, if that's what you were getting at in your original post.

An online dealer will ask for a copy of the FFL you want something shipped to. Usually you'd have your local FFL send the online dealer a copy of their license. In some instances, they online dealer may already have a copy of their license. Generally it's a good idea to give the local shop a heads up if you plan on having something sent to them.

As far as "the process," once your local dealer has the firearm it goes just like any other purchase. You fill out the paperwork, the call in PICS, etc. The only difference is you only pay the transfer fee, since you will have already paid the online dealer for the firearm.

You could always ask your local shop if the firearm is something they can order themselves and at what cost.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mjs84 View Post
    If you're not 21 you're not getting it ... But as to your question... Policy is explicitly stated on all reputable online dealers. Get a copy of your FFLs license and send it to them. Or have the FFL send direct. Then they ship to the FFL you supplied. FFL calls you when it arrives. You go in give your DL get the PICS check and play the transfer fee

Also what do you mean "you have an idea of what handgun you want"?

There should be zero do it and you should know exactly what you're buying, why you're buying and how to operate it. Should also take a safety class first if you've never owned.
    Yea I'm waiting until then to do all this I only have six more months. First thank you for the information. I do know what gun I want, I didn't want to put it in the thread so it wouldn't turn into a debate on which gun is better than the other so I just said I have an idea of the one I want to help explain why I am asking about this. Also, I have yet to look into the safety classes because I am trying to learn as much as I can before I buy the gun and get my LTCF and when it gets closer to the time I can own it I will look into classes incase prices change by that time or anything comes up so I can work around the scheduled classes and whatever else were to happen.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by XavierBK View Post
    You can't just order it in to look at it, if that's what you were getting at in your original post.
    No, I'm talking about ordering it to actually purchase it and own it.

(Bucks County)

Good luck Clyde. Make sure you send a lot down range to learn proper handling, stance, pulling and application.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde1993 View Post
    I do know what gun I want, I didn't want to put it in the thread so it wouldn't turn into a debate on which gun is better than the other...
    Oh, you MUST be new here. Spill it, Junior, the natives are restless for a good debate.

e.g. - 1911 > anything else

Annnnnnd, GO!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Oh, you MUST be new here. Spill it, Junior, the natives are restless for a good debate.

e.g. - 1911 > anything else

Annnnnnd, GO!
    You are correct lol. I just signed up a few days ago but, I have been looking at this site for questions I have for about a month now.

The gun I do want and well really kind of fell in love with ever since I saw it is a Beretta M9.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast