Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK-WASR

(York County)

Default AK-WASR

I can't afford anything I want. I have a AK-WASR. It's probably the cheapest AK platform. I paid about $300 for it way back in 06. I have this sick fantasy of putting a can on it.

The muzzle has a screw-on flash hider, and the gun came with a free slant muzzle break. How can I check to see if the muzzle's screw-on threads are true to the bore, so I won't shoot the baffles out of a suppressor?

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: AK-WASR

First thing, you will be pretty disappointed with a suppressed AK, just my opinion.

As far as threads being concentric, best sure fire way is to have a gun smith check it out.
    The threads are M14x1L
    You really cant look down the bore with anything mounted to it due to the design of the AK platform like you can with pretty much every other weapon.

Most guys get it re-threaded to 1/2x28 and then use a 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapter.

Nothing wrong with the WASR. They were a great value a few years ago.
    If the sights and gas block are straight, they will function like any other AK.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(York County)

I've shot enough guns to know the AK is no other words just fucking awesome.

That's why I'm considering buying the can for my ak, despite it will be lacking noise reduction, because it will still be reducing the muzzle blast, and reducing the recoil. I feel that is still a nice edge.

I was also looking into what this guy is saying:
    You'll hear people say the AK isnt well suited to being silenced. Theyre wrong. Its a good gun to silence. Yes you get gas blowing out the gas port. Its not that big of a deal. You can load heavy subsonic loads that may not cycle the action but do hit with the force of a strong 9mm+p+ . You can't do that with a .223 and when you arent shooting subs the gun still works.
    citation

Considering the other benefits besides noise reduction what do you think?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by HUHwhat View Post
    I've shot enough guns to know the AK is no other words just fucking awesome.

That's why I'm considering buying the can for my ak, despite it will be lacking noise reduction, because it will still be reducing the muzzle blast, and reducing the recoil. I feel that is still a nice edge.

I was also looking into what this guy is saying:

citation

Considering the other benefits besides noise reduction what do you think?
    If you have the coin, go for it. It doesn't create an impressive noise reduction, and more weight on an AK isn't too good of a thing, but it does have those operational benefits you speak of. I wouldn't mind having one eventually.

I have shot the Huntertown Arms can designed for the AK: http://www.huntertownarms.com/k762ak.php

I think it just has a little "looser" tolerances given the variability in the concentrically of AK muzzle threads to bore center-line. I've heard of some people check it once they have the suppressor by threading it on and either looking through it at light or inserting a long gauge rod of the bore diameter.

Either way we have slapped it on a few Romanian RPKs and one WASR without a problem.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    If you have the coin, go for it. It doesn't create an impressive noise reduction, and more weight on an AK isn't too good of a thing, but it does have those operational benefits you speak of. I wouldn't mind having one eventually.

I have shot the Huntertown Arms can designed for the AK: http://www.huntertownarms.com/k762ak.php

I think it just has a little "looser" tolerances given the variability in the concentrically of AK muzzle threads to bore center-line. I've heard of some people check it once they have the suppressor by threading it on and either looking through it at light or inserting a long gauge rod of the bore diameter.

Either way we have slapped it on a few Romanian RPKs and one WASR without a problem.
    Are you telling me there's a decent chance I can basically just screw it on, and be able to tell if it screws on straight by eye balling it? I was looking at huntertown arms myself. I'll probably go with them unless red jacket makes the difference.

(Pike County)

Get yourself one of these:

Love to hear it with subsonic rounds.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Get yourself one of these:

Love to hear it with subsonic rounds.
    Please sponsor me, and I will agree to get it!

Until then it's the southern poor-boy style for me.

I'd love to drop more than $2K into a 300 blackout build, with the highest quality parts, and integral suppressor. Or more than $50K into a original MP5 with an integrated suppressor, but I got my small debts on my back, and wife. I'd love to find a way to finance my hobbies, and goals outside the 9-5

(Washington County)

Are you telling me there's a decent chance I can basically just screw it on, and be able to tell if it screws on straight by eye balling it?
    Yes. Seen it done first hand without an issue on 3 different Romanian guns. I would field strip the gun, point a flashlight down the chamber, and look through the can into the barrel that way, and use a dental mirror or something to look through the barrel from the chamber. It should be pretty apparent if the suppressor is cocked one way. I bought a 10/22 threaded barrel off of ebay for a Huntertown Arms 22 suppressor and when I threaded it on I could see half the path through the suppressor wasn't visible. Obviously fawked. The AK suppressor is longer. Any issue with the threads being cocked or non concentric should be obvious.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(York County)

cool

I got to buy one of those before next year.

I just email redding's (nfa dealer associated with hunters) in Gettysburg, inquiring if they sell the 7.62 suppressors.
    Last edited by HUHwhat; January 11th, 2014 at 10:54 AM.

(Pike County)

Please sponsor me, and I will agree to get it!

Until then it's the southern poor-boy style for me.

I'd love to drop more than $2K into a 300 blackout build, with the highest quality parts, and integral suppressor. Or more than $50K into a original MP5 with an integrated suppressor, but I got my small debts on my back, and wife. I'd love to find a way to finance my hobbies, and goals outside the 9-5
    I understand, I am probably in worse shape than you but it's nice to dream.

As for a 300 Blackout build I think you can do it for well under $1000 if you like. If I remember correctly 300 Blackout uses all the same parts as a 5.56 AR-15 except the barrel, you can even use the same magazines and have 30 rounds of 300. You could probably get the parts and put together a 300 Blackout AR for $700, then invest in a suppressor down the road. PSA and Spike's sell very affordable and supposedly high quality parts.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast