Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Glock 42 ship dates announced

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    exactly Id' preorder a single stack 9 to compete with the xds.
    Exactly why I just bought a Kahr CM9, if I new Glock was coming out with a single stack 9mm I would have bought 2.

(Montgomery County)

I'm all for a single stack 9, but every company has tried and IMO every company that came out with a small 9 did a good job, but everyone has something a little off about it. Maybe Glock knows better than to even bother trying. Even though it would sell a billion of them

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    No offense and I'm a Glock fan, that gun is a real turd. Of all the things they could have done that IMO is the worst. A single stack 9mm would have been a hit, but a .380 is a laugher and so 10 years ago.
    And the price for a .380

I might buy one if it was around 300 or less

(Bucks County)

how does the new G42 compare in size to a glock 29 or 30? Is it the width/height and overall length as other compact glocks just chambered in 380? if so why would anyone want a heavy cumbersome 380 when so many true 380 pocket pistols are already on the market.

(Washington County)

This appears to have an ambi mag catch.

Is that a fair statement?
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Montgomery County)

I was looking forward to the G42 as a pocket gun, but I'm not sure what market niche Glock is aiming for wich a medium sixe .380.

Seems to me there are pocket guns and holster guns. The former are harder to tame, but can be carried easily in a pocket, e.g. TCP or LCP.

In the latter category, there are many small and light 9mms, such as the Kahrs. If it's too big to handily carry in a pocket, why would you not get a small 9mm?

IMHO, he G42 is too big to be comfortably carried in a pocket/cargo shorts in summer.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by NJCzbt View Post
    I'm all for a single stack 9, but every company has tried and IMO every company that came out with a small 9 did a good job, but everyone has something a little off about it. Maybe Glock knows better than to even bother trying. Even though it would sell a billion of them
    Someone that works for one of the firearms manufacturers told me that the little mini 9mm's are rather pointless and only a marketing gimmick as the short barrels don't allow the round to efficiently use all the powder in a 9mm case and achieve the velocity they should and effectively you end up back at the power of a .380.

I'm no expert or engineering wizard, but I guess that is one explanation.

From my perspective, I see the pocket mini pistols as something as a deep concealment, last ditch, very close range pistol I can tuck away in my pocket. Personally I prefer 9mm for that if possible because I have tons of that ammo, but I don't think the exact caliber matters much for what it would be used for because I would not entertain those pistols as my primary defensive pistol.

(Allegheny County)

It's to big to replace my LCP as a pocket firearm.

The fact that it's a .380 instead of a 9mm does not make it a suitable replacement for my Kahr CW9. Although length and width are almost identical between the 42 and the CW9. I can just barely get a comfortable three finger trip on the CW9. Without handling the 42 I dont know if I could get the same grip given that its about .4" shorter . Ill take 7+1 9mm over 6+1 .380 for close to the same size any day.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    how does the new G42 compare in size to a glock 29 or 30? Is it the width/height and overall length as other compact glocks just chambered in 380? if so why would anyone want a heavy cumbersome 380 when so many true 380 pocket pistols are already on the market.
    True. The 42 looks to be just slightly smaller than a glock 26 (and 27). It just doesn't seem small enough to be an easily concealed pocket pistol.

I wish they could have found a way to make the Glock 25 and 28 available in the States.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    True. The 42 looks to be just slightly smaller than a glock 26 (and 27). It just doesn't seem small enough to be an easily concealed pocket pistol.

I wish they could have found a way to make the Glock 25 and 28 available in the States.
    Where the 42 is going to be different is in the width. I find the 26 to be a chunky pistol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast