Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Pinhead Guest

Default Freezing weather and ammo

I leave my gun in my car daily while at work. With cold weather finally here, the ammo in it would be exposed to repeated freeze/thaw temperatures. Would there be any detrimental effects because of that?

Thanks

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Freezing weather and ammo

Didn't appear to affect any of the shooting going on in Eastern and Western Europe during the period 1939-1945, so I'm assuming nothing has changed since then in ammunition design.

You may have to change out the summer air in your car's tires to winter air when the snow starts falling, but your ammunition should be good to go.

Pinhead Guest

And I just had the valve stems lubed. Back to the shop, I guess.

Shouldn't bother it. Temp swings of 50 degrees or more over time will degrade it, it would take years.

Pinhead Guest

Thanks for the reply

(Bucks County)

catching up on my RSS feeds, so a bit late here, but just to add to the unanimous response here, I've had ammunition repeatedly (back and forth) exposed to 20s to dry 130+/- before finally expended, haven't had any failures out of the norm.

Having lived in Northern Quebec where the temp in the cabin could reach 120 by summer, and -40 by winter, I have never seen a round missfire that was strored im metal cases.

I did once have to hammer a few thousands of .357 rounds because they missfired, but they where reloads that spent a weekend under water.

Having done that, i will suggest that if any one has a kinetic hammer

and has to take apart bullets because of humidity... Wear a mask and good rubber gloves, Or plan on not sleeping a few nights. The nitro caused by humidity in a bullet is quite strong, and will definately keep you very awake for a good period of time.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly