Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Philly Gun Buy-Back planned... don't get too excited

To all you Lorcin/Jensen/Jiminez/Junk-Pistol afficionados, don't get too excited. It's only for $50

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pag...Y&pageId=3.2.1

Philadelphia police, along with community and church leaders, kick-off a new effort to get guns off the streets.

A new effort to get guns off the streets and keep residents up-to-date on crime in their neighborhoods.

Community and church leaders are urging residents to turn in their guns in the Mantua section, an effort that got 280 guns off the streets in one day last year.

The Philadelphia Police Department Friday launched a new online program that lets you find out about what crimes are occurring in your neighborhood.

When it comes to getting guns off the streets, Philadelphia police will take all the help they can get.

"We had a buy-back program last year where we got over 200 guns back," said Capt. Chris Coulter of the 16th Police District.

Community and church groups in Mantua are stepping up with another new program that lets residents turn in their guns anonymously.

"We're asking everyone who has a gun in their house to bring it in," said Pastor Dolores McCabe of Millcreek Baptist Church

Gun buy-back programs like this have taken 2,000 weapons off the streets in the past two years. Add that to 5,400 guns seized by police last year and most believe violent crime will go down.

"It's very hard to measure the success of what they prevented but we certainly know that that was several hundred guns that were never used in a crime, that they were taken off the streets," said Capt. Coulter.

Congressman Chaka Fattah (D-Pa.) disputed claims that gun buy-backs don't get guns used in crimes off the streets.

"A gun in a home that's burglarized ends up being a gun used to rob one of these stores right here on Lancaster Avenue," said Representative Fattah.

Anyone who turns in a gun will get a $50 gift card. The gun will be turned over to police and destroyed.

Also Friday, police launched a new online crime map link that lets residents see what crimes occurred in their neighborhood, as far back as a month ago.

LINK: Crime Map for My Philadelphia Neighborhood

"It gives the public a sense of what's happening and if someone has information on what's occurring in their community, they can give us a call," said Lt. Frank Vanore of Philadelphia Police.

Police hope this will lead to more arrests. Now they're trying to give everyone access to the website.

"We're meeting with our community groups and our clergy to make sure people who don't have internet access have a way to get it somewhere," said Lt. Vanore.

The gun buy-back program begins next Friday night and runs through Saturday at the Mill Creek Baptist Church at Preston and Lancaster Avenue.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philly Gun Buy-Back planned... don't get too excited

Any way a gun dealer can sit outside this place with me? Offer people $75 and do an insta check on the spot?
    "But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security." Dec of Ind.

FFL must conduct business at his place of business, I think... Not sure about the gunshow allowance, however.

"We had a buy-back program last year where we got over 200 guns back," said Capt. Chris Coulter of the 16th Police District.
    So 200 guns were stolen from the Philly Police, they just now got them back?

(Montgomery County)

Philly cannot buy back what they never owned.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybug View Post
    Any way a gun dealer can sit outside this place with me? Offer people $75 and do an insta check on the spot?
    I'll sell my J-22 to you for $75. When can we meet?
    I'll even split the PICS check with you, only 'cause I'm a nice guy.
    I can tell you've been rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

(Allegheny County)

Community and church groups in Mantua are stepping up with another new program that lets residents turn in their guns anonymously.
    Correction : lets criminals turn in their guns anonymously.
    IF they were lawabiding Citizens they would have sold them to FFL dealers for more cash or would have had their names published in paper to show how they are making a differance for a safer city.

"We're asking everyone who has a gun in their house to bring it in," said Pastor Dolores McCabe of Millcreek Baptist Church

Gun buy-back programs like this have taken 2,000 weapons off the streets in the past two years. Add that to 5,400 guns seized by police last year and most believe violent crime will go down.
    WOW I never heard that Philly had 5,400 arrest and convictions last year, Because I know IF they locked up them all 5,400 up for illegal firearm possesion, Philly would not have a crime problem right now. Locking guns up don't solve the problem, but locking criminals up sure does.

"It's very hard to measure the success of what they prevented but we certainly know that that was several hundred guns that were never used in a crime, that they were taken off the streets," said Capt. Coulter.
    Really Capt. Coulter? did you run ballistics on all several hundred guns, checking them and their former owners for illegal possession or being used in a crime?
    Did they even bother to see where these guns came from?

Congressman Chaka Fattah (D-Pa.) disputed claims that gun buy-backs don't get guns used in crimes off the streets.
    Really? just removing the eraser off of pencils would also stop misspelled words.

"A gun in a home that's burglarized ends up being a gun used to rob one of these stores right here on Lancaster Avenue," said Representative Fattah
    What they have burglars in Philly? Mayor Nutter and city council should pass a law to stop criminals from breaking into people homes, next they should pass a law to make robbing store on Lanscaster Ave illegal.
    .....Pass a law and criminals will obey THE LAW......

what nonsense, notice again NO FOCUS ON CRIMINALS! only guns

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rady8um View Post
    I'll sell my J-22 to you for $75. When can we meet?
    I'll even split the PICS check with you, only 'cause I'm a nice guy.
    He can have my davis 380 too lol

(Monroe County)

ya just have to laugh... I hope they test all these guns before they "trash" them as I can guarantee there will be a lot that have histories associated with them!

pretty amazing since with over 5K guns taken off the street Philly had their highest murder rate ever last year...

maybe they should offer more then 50.00?

I wonder if they run the serials and return the stolen ones to the original owners

(Montgomery County)

I have some really crappy guns that I would be tempted to get $50 each. I like the idea of when they offered Supermarket store credit. Especially at today's food prices.

Hmmm, I WOULD like to parlay some older crappy guns into something new

(Chester County)

I bet the gang bangers will just be lining up to turn in their guns they bought for $500 out of the back of an Escalade for a $50 gift card. They'll probably take that gift card and run right down to Hollister's and buy themselves a pair of pant that fit so they don't keep falling down below their ass.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast