Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Utah CCL being cut off to non-residents?

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- As the number of concealed weapons permits issued to out-of-staters continues to rise, Utah public safety officials say it might be time to cut off applications.

By the end of the year, officials estimate Utah will have issued more than 40,000 permits, nearly 150 percent more than issued last year. It's a 250 percent increase over permits issued in 2006.

Since 1994 about two-thirds of permits issued go to out-of-staters.
    At a meeting with lawmakers on Wednesday, Public Safety Commissioner Col. Scott Duncan said the state should end out-of-state permitting. He says the program leaves Utah with a number of problems, including the inability to monitor some Utah-certified permit instructors.

About 70 percent live in states other than Utah.

ksl.com - Utah's concealed weapons permit numbers grow

Default Re: Utah CCL being cut off to non-residents?

I don't have one, but wondering if they do that...will all current permits be immediately void...or will they be good until they expire?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I don't have one, but wondering if they do that...will all current permits be immediately void...or will they be good until they expire?
    I sent Utah BCI an email with that very question. I'll post if I get a response.

Bill

I really hope nothing comes of this, Byker be sure to PM me any response you get.

(Delaware County)

So far it's only a newspaper story, the Utah BCI (the folks in charge of the permits) website still says non residents can obtain a Utah CWP.

My email to them, in part ....

..... if Utah did stop their out of state resident permits would the one I now carry as a Pennsylvania resident be null and void, would it be good until the expiration, would they grandfather and still renew any permits already issued?
    Bill

I would doubt they have any policy in place since nothing is set in stone, hopefully this is just one guy speaking out against it. It seemed to me Utah was using this as a cash cow, not sure why they'd stop now.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    It seemed to me Utah was using this as a cash cow, not sure why they'd stop now.
    I don't agree.

Utah's BCI was becoming overwhelmed over the last two years with applications and by law they are supposed to have them processed within a reasonable period of time. Just recently Utah increased funding for the permit division in order to add manpower and get applications completed within 60 days because it had been taking almost twice that long.

The minimal increase in the application fee was due to the FBI increasing the fee they charge Utah for conducting the background check. So, Utah spent more money on the program without increasing the application or license fees. If anything, IMO you'll see an increase in the initial application fee rather than terminating non resident licensing.

Being certified to teach this class, I just received the latest newsletter a few days ago and there was nothing contained therein indicating ending non resident licensing.

It appears as though this rumor/story has some merit. There is some legislation being put in place that would make this hearsay a fact! Here's a link to the latest story from the NRA on the subject:
    http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=11162
    The days of the Utah CCW just might be numbered. It could be wise to take a hard look at Florida!
    Lord, help me become the person my dog believes I am

(Monroe County)

There is also a growing trend to only accept permits from residents of the state, I believe Florida, Colorado, and Michigan have already taken this stance. I would expect it more in the future as states with wide coverage areas, like Utah, are giving out permits by the tens of thousands.

Maybe its time for a Federal permit that is good in all 50 states? No reason why there isn't one, polices forces already do it. Take a 2 day class with an approved trainer, get Gov't buy off and you have a 50 state license. Easy
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Mifflin County)

A federal permit run by the federal gov't? No thanks, they already can't handle the jobs they claim to do. I'd rather see national reciprocity, like driver's licenses have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast