Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: $225 budget 22 rifle

they make a compact and a longer one as well.

i think the compact has a shorter LOP stock.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    they make a compact and a longer one as well.

i think the compact has a shorter LOP stock.
    Yes it does, but the other stock extensions fit and are only $20.

When I started this thread was pretty hooked on a tube fed bolt gun, now thinking hard about the Ruger American carbine. I like the idea of being able to change LOP. Longer for warm weather hunting, shorter would be great for late season, like now, when you need to bundle up. Plus I really like the 18" bbl option for handiness.

Now gotta ask as I have NO experience....22 rimfire or 17 cal? Never shot a 17, is it worth going to over a 22? I seriously don't see many shots at squirrel, it's primary use, much past 50 yards any way. Ammo cost is a consideration as I already have several cases of 22LR.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"

(Allegheny County)

i never shot a 17 either, nor i do not know the availability. my ruger, at 50 yds, CCI standard, nikon 3-9 prostaff set on 4 power, will do .5-.75 groups. but mine has been cut down to 16", threaded and recrowned.

stupid me, i didn't get a before and after group comparison.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post

stupid me, i didn't get a before and after group comparison.
    If properly recrowned there should be "0" difference in accuracy. May actually be better as most factory crowns aren't as precise as a good 'smith can do with interchangeable pilot tooling on a good lathe.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"

(Bucks County)

For me, hunting says no tube fed. Unloading/reloading will be a pita getting in and out of a car if you are going to move around. On the bench at the range a removable magazine makes it easier to assure all that the rifle is indeed empty.
    et cetera et cetera. Second magazine in pocket is instant reload v a tube feed.

(Allegheny County)

depending on the weather tomorrow, i will try and get to the range and do some 50 yd groups.

(Westmoreland County)

I own a CZ-452 Trainer. It can shooter better than I can shoot. If you could find one used at your chosen price it might be worth your money.

(Allegheny County)

There are a lot of good .22's mentioned here…

Personally, I have a heavily modded 10/22, a 10/22 Takedown, a Savage mkII, and the CZ452 trainer.

They are all fantastic, and you really can't go wrong with any of them. If you can be patient and look hard, a 10/22 can be had for around $200, savage MKII at around the same price (get the ones WITH the accu-trigger), and I got my CZ 452 trainer for $199+tax used but in very good condition.

Too bad the 10/22 is semi and you can't hunt with it…. I have no experience with the other bolt Ruger offerings. My buddy really liked his Marlin tho! I'm sure those are around within your budget!

I've only had older 22's, marlin 80,25 and a Rem 514 single shot. I'm really digging the Ruger American with the fiber optic front sight...anyone have one they shoot without a scope?

(Allegheny County)

went to the range today as promised.

the range i went to has the type of fence you put around your garden to keep out the rabbits. i do not know what kind of fencing it is called, but it sucks as a target hanger.

when the wind would blow today, it moved the targets around and was very annoying.

not my best day either.

the set up; ruger american rimfire cut to 16" (had the front sight drilled and tapped so i can keep it), silencerco sparrow suppressor, nikon 3-9 prostaff set on 9 power, shot off a caldwell rock jr front rest and somesort of rear bag:

1" groups at 50 yds with a moving target LOL (very annoying!). during this process i realized this target actually sucks really bad to try for small groups. i couldn't really get a good sight picture to try and split c^nt hairs:

i had a breif window of no wind. someone left a clean target up, so i utilized it. the orange sticker is about .75" :

i also placed 20 dum-dum pops on the berm. it took 27 shots to kill all 20 lolly pops. that is a 75% hit rate. i didn't use the rear bag because i had to make constant elevation and windage changes to pick up the next target. the lolly pops measure .75". these are fun to shoot. they explode really nicely and make a good, cheap reactive target. especially fun shooting suppressed with subsonic ammo. they make a nice WHACK when they explode.
    Last edited by corey4; January 11th, 2014 at 07:22 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast