Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Calling all Swiss K31 Lovers!

Mil surp is all I own and quite frankly want to own. Post pics I love me some Swiss firearms

I too am hoping to be in the market for a K31 before too long.

(Allegheny County)

Added some pics to original post and a few more here.

photo 5.JPG

photo 3.JPG
    Toujours prêt

I dont have a K31 yet, but i was looking around for one a little bit ago and came across a Schmidt-Rubin 1911 carbine or k11 not 100% sure exactly what one it is, unlike a Mosin (my other love) i have not been able to figure out an easy way to figure out much of the specifics on it. But i do plan on here in the near future of picking up a K31, i have heard nothing but great thigns about the accuaracy and how can you beat a 2 stage trigger on a milsurp gun.

(Berks County)

While on the topic of the k31, had anyone found a good source for a clamp on scope mount that isn't $125 shipped?

These prices are ridiculous.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    While on the topic of the k31, had anyone found a good source for a clamp on scope mount that isn't $125 shipped?

These prices are ridiculous.
    Are you referring to a scout scope mount? http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...ount/index.asp
    Last edited by Hawk; January 7th, 2014 at 10:57 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

I've done some more research on the web and after seeing the diagram below, it hit me as to what my semi-sticky bolt problem might be.

I noticed in the diagram that the op-rod is actually contacting the firing pin in order to cock it. I had already lube the exterior of the bolt with light grease (Weapon Shield Grease), which did make the bolt smoother. This time I completely disassembled the bolt, wiped off all the old oil, inspected the parts and then applied a light coat of grease to the interior parts of the bolt in an attempt to reduce the friction between them. I reassembled the rifle and was happy to find the action was now as smooth as I was hoping to achieve.

When I bough this rifle I noticed the trigger's second stage was very light compared to other milsurps I own/owned. This had me slightly concerned because I was thinking someone might have messed around with it to get it this light. After some on-line research I discovered that very light triggers on the K31 are indicative of a worn out main spring. Parts for these rifles are bit hard to come by, so I wanted to confirm the pull weight on my K31's trigger. I made up my own trigger gauge from a coat hanger and items that I have around the house that weight between 1-4 lbs. Funny thing, those items were a 1.5 pound hammer and some pistols I own. I held the rifle vertical and hung a coat hanger (I modified) on the trigger. I hung the weights on the other end of the dangling coat hanger. First the 1.5 lb hammer, it wouldn't even activate the first stage. I moved onto a Springfield 1911 (2.5 lbs.), it depressed the first stage, but didn't active the second stage. I moved onto a S&W 6" revolver at 3.5 lbs. It activated the first and barely the second stage. So, I was satisfied the trigger pull was within a normal range for a K31 (3 lb is typical).
    Last edited by Hawk; January 8th, 2014 at 10:43 AM.
    Toujours prêt

K31 (and the older S-R) is a beautiful piece of military history. I've handled a number of them but never purchased, I wish I had because the prices have really gone up recently. I saw AIM Surplus had two shipments of them come through, the first sold out in hours and the second in half a day, at nearly $300 apiece. I'll get one eventually, or all this 7.5x55 I bought will be in vain!

I don't personally know anybody who reloads, but as I understand it 168gr and 174gr spitzer projectiles can be pushed in the ~40-45,000+psi range safely, and remain supersonic out to 1000yd in the right conditions. That's comparable to any modern .308, from a 60-year-old rifle.

Thank you for sharing your K31 with us.
    Last edited by LowSpeedHighDrag; January 8th, 2014 at 03:12 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
    K31 (and the older S-R) is a beautiful piece of military history. I've handled a number of them but never purchased, I wish I had because the prices have really gone up recently. I saw AIM Surplus had two shipments of them come through, the first sold out in hours and the second in half a day, at nearly $300 apiece. I'll get one eventually, or all this 7.5x55 I bought will be in vain!

I don't personally know anybody who reloads, but as I understand it 168gr and 174gr spitzer projectiles can be pushed in the ~40-45,000+psi range safely, and remain supersonic out to 1000yd in the right conditions. That's comparable to any modern .308, from a 60-year-old rifle.

Thank you for sharing your K31 with us.
    Ya, I too dragged my feet for about 2 years. I suppose if I didn't run across this one, I'd still be dragging my feet.

Hold onto that GP11 it's running about .58 a round now.

The Swiss are really something, the GP11 surplus ammo is probably one of the nicest looking surplus ammo's I've ever seen. Just the way they packed the rounds in a 10 round "cigarette" pack is going above and beyond. They also melt what appears to be wax around the mouth of the cartridge to seal it. I was very surprised at the accuracy of the surplus GP11. I've read that it's both a "hot" round and match quality. Leave it to the Swiss!
    Toujours prêt

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Ya, I too dragged my feet for about 2 years. I suppose if I didn't run across this one, I'd still be dragging my feet.

Hold onto that GP11 it's running about .58 a round now.

The Swiss are really something, the GP11 surplus ammo is probably one of the nicest looking surplus ammo's I've ever seen. Just the way they packed the rounds in a 10 round "cigarette" pack is going above and beyond. They also melt what appears to be wax around the mouth of the cartridge to seal it. I was very surprised at the accuracy of the surplus GP11. I've read that it's both a "hot" round and match quality. Leave it to the Swiss!
    Apparently the Swiss have 700 million rounds stashed in bunkers that is gradually being used in Switzerland and sold. Sounds like a lot but it gets used up quicker than people think. The last huge lots of production was 1994 and right now they are selling 1979-1982 surplus, so supply will be finite.

When I get a K31, if I decide it is one of those firearms for life, I'll gradually grab a case of 480 rounds here and there and store it and build up a stock.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast