Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default phoenix hp22 vs ruger lcr 357

Looking for some opinions on which one to get.. I know one is a semi and other a revolver but looking for something I can carry pretty easily but also have the wife shoot comfortably

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: phoenix hp22 vs ruger lcr 357

between those two ruger hands down, Phoenix's are not self defense pieces, they are range toys at best.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    between those two ruger hands down, Phoenix's are not self defense pieces, they are range toys at best.
    Agreed...I have a HP22, great fun but wouldn't trust my life with it, crazy safeties and I've had the trigger pin slide out of place leaving it un-shoot-able, easily fixed, but not "in a gun-fight" easy.

(Columbia County)

I had a hp22, great little gun. Slips right into a slide holster and disappears under a tucked in shirt. However, I had about 600 rounds through mine and the frame cracked just above the slide lock. Other than that, it digested anything I fed it. Used it to shoot up all the oddball ammo I had. The safety is very tiny though. To buy as a plinker, it's a lot of fun. To buy as a strictly defensive carry gun, there are much better options out there.

(Bucks County)

I'm not familiar with the HP22 but I've had an LCR in .38 Special for a little over a year. It is a light, fun to shoot revolver that is easy to carry in a pocket holster (like the Nemesis) or just a pocket or a purse. This makes it ideal for home carry, in my view, since it is neither obtrusive nor uncomfortable.

It has a short barrel, as I'm sure you are aware, and that short sight radius requires a solid grip and good trigger control to shoot accurately beyond bad breath distance. On the other hand, it has an excellent, smooth trigger which makes shooting it such a pleasure.

It shoots .38 +P ammo, and with such a light gun, the recoil is noticeable but not unmanageable. But it becomes unpleasant after a box of +P. For practice, light target loads are fun.

As to .38 +P vs. .357, I think you'll find that there is not much advantage to the .357 in a snub barrel: you get all the noise, flash, and recoil, but not much more power. However, the .357 model will shoot both .38 special and .357 magnum, and is slightly heavier, and that will reduce felt recoil for the same .38 loads compared to the .38 only.

If you are leaning towards the LCR, I'd strongly recommend that you consider the Crimson Trace Lasergrip option. Especially if it is to be purchased primarily as a SD weapon. Besides helping keep eyes on the target under stress, the laser is a good training tool for grip & trigger control, especially for a new shooter.

(Cumberland County)

Like you said, huge difference. I personally would not buy a phoenix. If you and/or wife can handle 38/357 - go for the Ruger! If you want a 22, go for the lcr 22 magnum Good luck!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

its funny cause I had her shoot a 9mm sccy compact and she hated it but said she like the 357 magnum 6in barrel revolver....the full size m&p I have she shoots fine...but I appreciate the feedback her and definitely leaning towards the lcr since I can shoot 357 and 38 special out of it

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NET FM View Post
    its funny cause I had her shoot a 9mm sccy compact and she hated it but said she like the 357 magnum 6in barrel revolver....the full size m&p I have she shoots fine...but I appreciate the feedback her and definitely leaning towards the lcr since I can shoot 357 and 38 special out of it
    Big difference between .357 out of a lightweight snub and a 6" fullsize, just sayin'

(Bucks County)

the ruger without a doubt, pheonix pistols are on par with jennings, lorcin, bryco and the like. if you want a small semiauto beretta makes a nice little 22 called the bobcat or you can checkout the SW bodyguard in 380. lots of good choices available these days for pocket/concealed carry that you don't have to settle for a junk gun.

(Cumberland County)

Carrying a semi auto .22 for self defense has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

/Commence pre-threadlock discussion\
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast