Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default 1911 modifications

Since it seems to be the most customized handgun in the world, what modifications are really necessary on a 1911 to truly enhance its performance? If we went low end (Springfield, Rock Island), what would you replace/ polish/ modify and how would it effect performance?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: 1911 modifications

Quote Originally Posted by BenningBoy View Post
    Since it seems to be the most customized handgun in the world, what modifications are really necessary on a 1911 to truly enhance its performance? If we went low end (Springfield, Rock Island), what would you replace/ polish/ modify and how would it effect performance?
    The smartest thing you can do is just shoot it. Shoot the crap out of it then without the hype figure what "you" feel needs change. Some guys don`t like ambidextrous safety's ( they don`t bother me) Some don`t like FLGR`s ( they have no affect on shooting so they don`t bother me) Lot`s of guys want different sights (personal preference)

1911`s are like Harley`s in that some guy sees a Jesse James custom he he needs a copy so before he even rides his new scooter he`s having the shop change every doodad.

(Berks County)

The only thing I have found absolutely necessary FOR ME is a beavertail grip safety. I grip my handguns really high and I really hate hammer bite. But it's all personal preference.

(Allegheny County)

I'd say things to affect how it fits your hand, if necessary.....long vs. short trigger, arched vs. flat mainspring housing, thicker/thinner/rougher/smoother grips, and, of course, changing the sights if you feel a need to.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

What Exbiker said. You will never know what you need until you put 1000 rounds through it. Then you will change your mind 4 or 5 times for what you want. New grips and a 25 round drum clip are a nice start. Make that 40 round drum.

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/in...S&Category=322

(Centre County)

Why does everyone seem to want to modify a 1911 before they have shot it and really got to know how it shoots. I have a RIA, have shot it a bunch and there are 2 mods I want done: replace the smooth grips (already done) and replace the sights (the old GI sights are hard to align with my old eyes (have the parts but haven't done it yet). That's all, it shoots to my POA, eats anything I feed it (so far) and hasn't cost me an arm and a leg in modifications. I would feel perfectly safe if I grabbed it to OC or CC. I have better things that I can do with $1000 - $2000 (like build more AR's LOL) than to modify an already good shooting 1911.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lawrence County)

There is a lot of hocus pocus surrounding the 1911 due to so many options for modifications out there. If you don't understand how the guns run, it's easy to just stick with the stock springs and use hardball ammunition and say "that's what the 1911 is made for".

But...there are some mods that have no downside when done correctly and do enhance feeding and extraction. Luckily, they are relatively simple.

First thing I do to my 1911's is polish the feed ramp. No changing of angles, just polish. Some people barely smooth the edge between the ramp and the throat.

Next, I tune the extractor for pressure and smooth the hook edge. There are several links on how to do that. Here is one:

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Home.htm Look under "tips and tricks" and then "ejection perfection".

Yes, a decent (even low end) 1911 will run and eat most everything. But....you don't want it operating in a narrow window. It's nice to know that if the recoil spring goes a bit weak or your grip is a bit limp the gun will still function.

After that, I start working springs, firing pin stops and other details to fit the gun to my style, but that's not for everyone.

Lyangoodluckthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

I recently bought a Springfield Stainless Loaded. I ended up changing the mainspring housing from flat to arched, and replaced the full-length guide rod with a GI-type guide rod. I swapped the mainspring housing because the arched fits better in my hands, and I prefer the GI-style guide rod for easier field-stripping.

Having said that, these changes are a personal preference. What you change on your gun (if anything) will be based on what gun you buy, and what you want to use it for.

(Centre County)

I think 1911 works the best the way John Browning originaly designed it back 100 years ago.
    I mean it served US armed forces almost 70 years unchanged. And was one of most reliable side arm there ever was...

I personaly think more you tinker with it, more likely that you'll run in to an issue.

With that being said, I'm planning to replace safety lever, beaver tail, slide release, trigger, MSH, and barrel bushing. Because on my Para 1911, above mentioned parts are either MIM or Plastic.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Northumberland County)

personally, if you're talking springfield GI as a starting point, My prefs are as follows...

beavertail grip safety, extended safety (doesn't have to be ambi), novak sights...

Other things are nice, the most important IMO is replacing those GI sights. The beavertail helps avoid bite and let's you get a higher grip, the extended safety let's me get a more positive click and lets me ride my thumb on top of it.

One thing that is really nice in a carry piece is Bobtailing... takes away a point of poke through that might print.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast