Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W .41 Mag!

Default S&W .41 Mag!

I was given the 'green light' from the Mrs. for a handgun purchase, so I decided I'd look around some local shops to see what was available.

I love revolvers. Nothing against autoloaders, but I love the old school feel of steal wheel guns. I have a Ruger SP101 in .357mag that I carry, and I wanted a Big Bore revolver with a '4' in the caliber.

I was very lucky today and I found a Smith &Wesson model 58 (.41 magnum) in very good to excellent condition. It has the pinned barrel and recessed chambers, in blued finish. Lock up was tight (pretty much ZERO end shake as far as I could tell), good timing, and a super clean bore. It really doesn't look like it's seen many rounds at all. (the guy at the counter said an old retired patrolman sold it to them).

I'm very excited for this new purchase, and I'm looking forward to shooting the .41 mag. I'm even going to carry this hand cannon in an OWB pancake holster that I ordered.

Does anyone have one of these model 58s? How do you like it? How does it shoot for you? I don't know a whole lot about .41 magnum, just that Elmer Keith designed it to do what the .357 and .44 mags could do, but better.

It seems like a solid and beautiful work of art.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

Default Re: S&W .41 Mag!

A most excellent pickup. I don't own a 41mag, but own a handful of other collectable Smith's. These guns are perfect for reloading for, and I hope u already do, as finding factory ammo will be like finding hen's teeth. I'm right up the road from u if u'd care to knock down some steel targets at R&V sometime. Congrats and good luck with it.

(Westmoreland County)

I've always wanted to try a .41 mag but never got to it yet. Great looking revolver, congrats!

(Westmoreland County)

I'm a fan of the .41 Magnum but have never fired an S&W in .41 just my old workhorse Blackhawk and a Marlin lever action my wife bought for me. I bet you will love it as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I've always wanted to try a .41 mag but never got to it yet. Great looking revolver, congrats!
    I have shot the .41 mag Tracker, which looks identical to my .44 Tracker. Same size, weight, everything. I cannot tell much of a difference between the two. Neither will break your arm, but they are both equally hard on the wrist. These trackers look to be the same size as the OP's Smith, and his Smith isn't ported, so yeeoww.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    A most excellent pickup. I don't own a 41mag, but own a handful of other collectable Smith's. These guns are perfect for reloading for, and I hope u already do, as finding factory ammo will be like finding hen's teeth. I'm right up the road from u if u'd care to knock down some steel targets at R&V sometime. Congrats and good luck with it.
    If you guys want to shoot I have a 57 not very far away either be more than happy to bring it along its a "hoot to shoot" with an 8 3/8" barrel

(Philadelphia County)

nice find!
    there is something very cool about a 41 mag

Big Daddy is out there a bit, but he lets you see the recoil of the .41 mag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM03jmpGbAI
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Beaver County)

Got a 41 Mag stainless Dan Wesson here with a 6" and 8" barrel. Love the gun and caliber. Welcome to the world of semi-retired calibers.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Beaver County)

Beautiful gun.

Congratulations on your find.

Range report required. With pictures of course.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast