Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Carrying on board a boat on the Delaware river (?)

Quote Originally Posted by PropCop View Post
    shooter357,

Since you are in Easton, the only LE agencies you would run into would be PF&BC or NJ State Police Marine units (unlikely that far up the river). You should be fine - we don't ask and you don't have to tell.

With the advent of Homeland Security, the lower end if the river has an increasing number of municipalities that got federal funds to buy boats. To the best of my knowledge, only the PFBC, NJ State Police and the Coast Guard have the statutory authority to initiate a boat stop, issue citations, or make an arrest. The others are basically there to provide port security.

I've seen PSP on the river at Upper Black Eddy north to Easton.

(York County)

I don't know for sure but here goes from a prior service coast guardsman. If the river does not have a direct access route to the ocean, or is not regulary used for commerce or as a shiiping lane the USCG could care less what you do from a legal stand point. From a search and rescue point of view yes we would have helped out if asked. As far as whats leagal and what aint on the boat. If remember correctly the laws of the state or common wealth in which the body of water was located were the laws to be followed.

For example when I was staioned in Va, the operator of the boat could be drinking, and or be in posession of an open conainer so long as his BAC was not over the limit. As far as having guns on the james river, we ran in it this very few times, but Va sees your boat as an extension of your home, so no reason you could not carry while aboard.

But like I said that was years ago and the James river does not share a shore with another state. So I say go with the laws of your state and try not to run aground in Nj.

Dave
    3%

(Wayne County)

'Coastie eh? I always liked the Coast Guard. I was invited to tour the base in Cape May. I was overly impressed. You guys are almost as hard-core as the Marines. They gave me one of those float coats to take home as a souvenir.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Delaware County)

on the Pa side, Philly does have a marine unit along with Marcus Hook. Neither has LE authority at present, but Philly has assisted us in the past. They are good guys and so are the coasties.

Both Camden and the DRPA have marine units, but I don't know what authority NJ has given them.

You won't see PSP on the river since they have no boats. NJSP or PFBC would be more likely.

Little Tinicum Island is in Pa, but I believe it is part of the Valley Forge National Park.

Since 9/11, the Coast Guard has been more aggressive than in the past.
    They can do boardings without probable cause, and will issue citations for safety and equipment violations. BUI's are usually turned over PFBC or NJSP for prosecution.

As stated before, the reciprocity agreement between PA and NJ gives both agencies LE authority shore to shore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12