Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FNH FN-15

(Northampton County)

Default Re: FNH FN-15

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...orting-rifles/

So it seems that FNH is going to begin making civilian AR-pattern rifles. I find this of special interest since I am making clones, and FNH manufacturers the M16A4s being used by the USMC right now. Not sure if FNH or Colt makes the M4A1s at the moment, but my M4A1 clone is a Colt 6920 - although if I find out FNH makes the government issue M4A1s as well, I'll swap the base rifle.
    At the moment Remington has the army contract on the m4. The army gave colt the contract for ten years and now Remington is using Colts technical data package to produce their rifles.

(Bucks County)

But how many of the AR15-pattern rifles would you trust your life on? There is a metric shit ton of chaff on the shelves - el cheapo ARs that are fine for plinking, but not something I'd trust in a real life situation. I want a rifle from a company with an established and proven track record - such as Colt or FNH or HK.

And it seems that the only stipulation is that FNH cannot manufacturer civilian rifles on the same machinery that produces the military contract rifles, or use any surplus or blem parts from the military contract rifles on the civilian rifles. They also cannot use any of the data from the TDP (Technical Data Package) to manufacture civilian rifles.

In short, it has to be completely segregated lines - the civilian rifles basically need their own dedicated manufacturing facility. That is a cost a lot of companies are unwilling to shoulder in exchange for a military contract.
    there are plenty of AR15's on the market I would trust my life with other than Colt, HK or now FN. None of these manufacturers have the market cornered on reliable AR15's just because they are the recipient of a government contract. if i recall correctly rock river had a big contract with the DEA a few years ago and there are plenty of other government agencies and law enforcement that have AR15's manufactured by companies other than HK, Colt and FN.

i think its great that FN is making civilian AR's but as stated in my original email there's nothing different about the FN other than the FN logo.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    If we're lucky, they'll change the design so it can't accept STANAG mags! That way we can continue to enjoy FN and all it's proprietary goodness!

Agreed. Nothing "new and improved" with ARs anymore. Not a bad thing, mind you. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Just so many damn companies marketing the same exact rifle another company is with just a different roll mark. Specs, furniture, options... all the same.
    +1. Already have plenty of "ARs" around the market to choose from. I think if they made an FNH-USA FNC tweaked with modern alloys, it'd sell like pussy in a can, otherwise...
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    there are plenty of AR15's on the market I would trust my life with other than Colt, HK or now FN. None of these manufacturers have the market cornered on reliable AR15's just because they are the recipient of a government contract. if i recall correctly rock river had a big contract with the DEA a few years ago and there are plenty of other government agencies and law enforcement that have AR15's manufactured by companies other than HK, Colt and FN.

i think its great that FN is making civilian AR's but as stated in my original email there's nothing different about the FN other than the FN logo.
    So if that is your position, then isn't pretty much every single $600-$700 AR the equal of a KAC or a LMT or a DD AR?

As we all know, some companies produce a better product that other companies within the same platform. And if FN can produce a high quality AR at an extremely competitive price point - how can that bad or overrated?

Higher quality products are lower price points will only benefit the masses.

(Dauphin County)

Up until fairly recently there were ony a few actual "manufacturers" of AR's. They simply branded them for different companies. Continental Machine made lowers, bolts, carriers, etc for Colt, RRA, Bushmaster, etc for years. Parts made by FN were also used to assemble rifles by others. My personal SP1 clone uses an FN made A1 type barrel.
    (FWIW- CM marks didn't mean Colt Manufacturing, it meant Continental Machine)
    If memory serves sometime in the late 90's, early 00's Continental was renamed but I could very much be in error.

Guys my point is this. Most AR's are actually made by just a few manufacturers. However MANY companies assemble them from parts made by these few manufacturers. It is not worth paying extra premium prices for the name on the side of the receiver in many cases.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"

(Northampton County)

And it seems that the only stipulation is that FNH cannot manufacturer civilian rifles on the same machinery that produces the military contract rifles, or use any surplus or blem parts from the military contract rifles on the civilian rifles. They also cannot use any of the data from the TDP (Technical Data Package) to manufacture civilian rifles.
    Then what's the point? Just the name? We can assume they'll be high quality but it's only based on reputation, not standards or know-how.

(Wayne County)

Lol here is your authentic FN M4A1. I'm not sure of the legality of cloning this, IIRC the BATFE doesnt like when you alter the markings

Last edited by Splittiebus66; January 3rd, 2014 at 05:44 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Then what's the point? Just the name? We can assume they'll be high quality but it's only based on reputation, not standards or know-how.
    Sounds like Colt.

(Wayne County)

Colts R special.

least mine is......

I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Sounds like Colt.
    Colt owns the TDP. They don't have to tie one arm behind their back or play by those rules.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast