Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Coraopolis District Sportsmens Association

I just renewed my membership and was given an encyclopedia of new rules.

What is up with the rules committee? They have gone overboard.

We need to get some like minded gun advocates and turn around this liberalization of our gun club.

Can you believe they have made open carry against the rules on club property except on the actual range?

Drawing from aholster is also banned.

We need to fix this. I'm looking at other clubs just the same.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Coraopolis District Sportsmens Association

Dave, drawing from a holster is not allowed because all shooting is done from a concrete pad. If a discharge happened during a draw that bullet could go anywhere. The possibility exists for a pistol bay without concrete that may allow for drawing. I agree with you about open carry.

Terry
    The Lord Bless You

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    Dave, drawing from a holster is not allowed because all shooting is done from a concrete pad. If a discharge happened during a draw that bullet could go anywhere. The possibility exists for a pistol bay without concrete that may allow for drawing. I agree with you about open carry.

Terry
    Has there ever been a discharge into the concrete?
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

(Allegheny County)

I really don't know Dave. But things are done preemptively all the time. No one has ever been in my house and taken anything but I lock my doors. Or, I have never been mugged or killed but I carry a gun to protect my self. etc.

Also, a bullet had never left the range.....until one or more did.

PS: I was out of town visiting a new Grand baby this weekend, hence the delay in responding.
    The Lord Bless You

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    I really don't know Dave. But things are done preemptively all the time. No one has ever been in my house and taken anything but I lock my doors. Or, I have never been mugged or killed but I carry a gun to protect my self. etc.

Also, a bullet had never left the range.....until one or more did.

PS: I was out of town visiting a new Grand baby this weekend, hence the delay in responding.
    Maybe we should ban firearms at the club so no one ever has an accident. And next ban knives because someone could be hurt. We have a good safety record of no accidents with people drawing from a holster so why change it. I'll tell you, the club is becoming a nanny state club.

My two biggest problems are banning open carry which is legal in this state and practiced at most gun clubs, and the ban on drawing from a holster.

There are plenty of members who need to practice drawing from a holster, cops, security guards, and everyone else who carries open or concealed for self protection. Instead of banning it, they should train people to do it safely and stamp their membership card that they have been ok'd to draw from a holster.

The old guard at the club wants to ignore members who are not hunters. Self defense shooters are increasing in numbers at a greater pace than hunters.

The ban on open carry is pure BS because some board members and a self appointed safety guru don't like it.

(Allegheny County)

Over the last 4 years we had a few accidents at the club. Most of the changes at the club are due to our insurance company.

There is a school at the end of the road from the club. The club ( and local police) have received many complaints from parents about a man with a guy on club grounds. You can think and say what you want, but you will never change parents opinion about seeing a gun near a school.

I 'm not here to cause a argument, just stating a few of the reasons of the many changes at the club.

Please come to a few meetings and you can get more info and bring up some issues to discuss.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chessiedog1 View Post
    Over the last 4 years we had a few accidents at the club. Most of the changes at the club are due to our insurance company.

There is a school at the end of the road from the club. The club ( and local police) have received many complaints from parents about a man with a guy on club grounds. You can think and say what you want, but you will never change parents opinion about seeing a gun near a school.

I 'm not here to cause a argument, just stating a few of the reasons of the many changes at the club.

Please come to a few meetings and you can get more info and bring up some issues to discuss.
    In all my years as a member I've never known there was a school down the road. The schools presence is not obvious from club property. Those parents must call in complaints by the dozens when those men with guns actually start shooting. My oh my think of the children, there's panic in the streets. What an over reaction to pass this rule for that reason! I wish they'd just admit the hunters in control of the club don't like open carry and/or people who don't hunt.

I do not believe for a second that the rule against open carry on club property or the rule against drawing from holster were enforced by direction of the insurance company or the police.

I'd love to go to a meeting with enough like minded gun rights people to throw out the current set of "nanny-state" rules. Problem is I only hear them complain at the range.

(Allegheny County)

I am sorry, I was not clear in my last post. The club has had a few accidents at the range the last few years. These accidents caused many new rules. One being the rule of not drawing from the holster and shooting. A lot of clubs around Pittsburgh have this same rule.

A few years ago at a club near Ligonier PA I witness a accidental discharge from a man doing this. I will tell after that he had the range to himself. It is a danger to other shooters, because of ricochet and the concrete floor. A few clubs that allow this designate a certain day and time for this and you have to be on the range, not at the benches. They shut down the range to all other shooters for this.

The insurance company forced us to put in cameras, fencing, a mandatory safety class for all members, and a limited on membership. Although, this was the only gun club that I knew of in the Pittsburgh area that did not have a limit on membership.

The township made us put in the handicap ramp and parking spaces. We also have a few handicap members and this was good for them. The ramp was long over due.

(Allegheny County)

I feel sorry for you guys who have neutered your own clubs instead of addressing/working around the problems.

Now I see why so many people make the drive to PMSC.

(Beaver County)

Exactly the reasons why I don't belong to this club anymore. Everytime I ever went there it was like the Gestapo stepping on my neck. I've never been more disrespected at a club. My advice is to find a new one or like EM said drive the extra couple miles to PMSC where they actually respect peoples RKBA.

Maybe CDSA should turn into a meeting place for Tupperware parties and AVON.
    Please visit my Website for Exotic ammunition and 37mm goodies... http://gunshowgoods.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast