Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: PMSC membership?

Attending meetings isn't mandatory, but it's nice to go when you can.

I think you MAY need to attend the first two though. The night you apply and the following meeting. It's been a while since I've paid attention though, so you may want to confirm.
    Actually, that sounds right from what I'm reading here.

Here are some FAQs from the PMSC website.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Is that only for new members at this time?

I sent my $60. There was nothing mentioned on the renewal card.
    I was quoting the fee for a new member (in the context of the OP).
    However, we all will be paying $15 more in 2015. Got to pay for the planned new ranges and the recently updated and to be updated ones!
    Last edited by Hawk; January 2nd, 2014 at 10:09 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

I would attend regularly when possible. But I don't want to join somewhere that is a high and tight gun club. Not per say safety wise but people wise. I am one who has been taught gun safety from a very young age and I hold it true and teach it to many others. But I went to a couple trap shoots around seven springs and the people were all ritzy with there citori's and kiershoff (spelling?) and turn there noses at anyone with a gun under $1500 (until you out shoot them ). I'm looking for a nice range with decent people who are willing to share knowledge and receive knowledge.

I've just completed my first year at pmsc, and I never got the impression that the people were "high and tight."

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoemaker75 View Post
    I would attend regularly when possible. But I don't want to join somewhere that is a high and tight gun club. Not per say safety wise but people wise. I am one who has been taught gun safety from a very young age and I hold it true and teach it to many others. But I went to a couple trap shoots around seven springs and the people were all ritzy with there citori's and kiershoff (spelling?) and turn there noses at anyone with a gun under $1500 (until you out shoot them ). I'm looking for a nice range with decent people who are willing to share knowledge and receive knowledge.

It's been my experience that many trap guys are wound to tight. This is more true for the "old timers" than the younger guys. PMSC has seen a positive transition in shotgun sports in the last few years from mostly old timers to mostly younger guys. They are sporting all kinds of gear including off the self 870's and 500's. We even have guys shooting skeet with tactical shotguns. No one minds.

The other thing about trap shooters (at our club) is they can't help themselves from pointing out things you should and shouldn't be doing when it comes to breaking birds.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    It's been my experience that many trap guys are wound to tight. This is more true for the "old timers" than the younger guys. PMSC has seen a positive transition in shotgun sports in the last few years from mostly old timers to mostly younger guys. They are sporting all kinds of gear including off the self 870's and 500's. We even have guys shooting skeet with tactical shotguns. No one minds.

The other thing about trap shooters (at our club) is they can't help themselves from pointing out things you should and shouldn't be doing when it comes to breaking birds.
    Once I get my bone stock 500 back from Mossberg I plan on getting out for a Saturday trap shoot. Glad to hear the mostly criticism will be my technique and not my equipment.

PMSC is defiantly not "high and tight", there are lots of good people who just love shooting, are sociable and willing to trade knowledge. Sure you get some curmudgeons every once in a while but with 2k+ membership it happens.

P.S. Hawk 4k posts impressive.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    P.S. Hawk 4k posts impressive.
    Nothing compared to Emptymag. Post whore!

A group of us PMSC members were introduced to (and joined) the PAFOA site way back in 2007. Hence the post counts.
    Last edited by Hawk; January 3rd, 2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Is the $100 initiation fee in addition to the $75 new membership fee? So signing up would run be $175 total?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dm1898 View Post
    Is the $100 initiation fee in addition to the $75 new membership fee? So signing up would run be $175 total?
    Yes, that's correct. You'll need a gate card too ($10). One of the best things the club did was put in the security gate to keep out free loaders.
    Last edited by Hawk; January 3rd, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Ok that sounds good. Hopefully I can make it to the meeting this month. I went to an IDPA match at the club a few months ago and it seemed pretty damn nice.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast