Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Federal Judge upholds most of Safe Act in NY

According to the article a federal judge upheld most of the safe act including the assault weapons and magazine ban. However the seven round limitation was tossed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/ny...w.html?hp&_r=0

(Chester County)

Default Re: Federal Judge upholds most of Safe Act in NY

Federal Judges are appointed by Presidents. Take note of that the next time you decide you need to sit at home on election day.

He said that the gun law “applies only to a subset of firearms with characteristics New York State has determined to be particularly dangerous and unnecessary for self-defense; it does not totally disarm New York’s citizens; and it does not meaningfully jeopardize their right to self-defense.”
    He says that through his teeth because he knows the weapons that were banned would specifically be used to defend against him and the people he would send against us in the next round of unconstitutional bans and confiscations.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lawrence County)

He said that the gun law “applies only to a subset of firearms with characteristics New York State has determined to be particularly dangerous and unnecessary for self-defense; it does not totally disarm New York’s citizens; and it does not meaningfully jeopardize their right to self-defense.”
    So as long as it doesn't "totally" disarm us then it's ok? I'm getting so fucking sick of this entire bullshit system we have to live by that sometimes I think my head is going to explode. What the fuck happened to the concept of liberty in this Country? Where does the Constitution limit what types of firearms we may own as defined by some douchebag liberal from NY? What's to stop them from banning handguns? They're just a "subset of firearms" that 90% of crimes are committed with and aren't necessary for self defense, after all, we still have Uncle Joes shotguns, right?

(Erie County)

This decision will not end at this level.
    A cursory look shows Judge Skretny referenced cites from Mother Jones Magazine, MAIG, and the Brady Campaign literature as support for portions of his decision.
    Analysis of the decision will show there are extremely large holes in the entire process. Largest of which will probably include the fact that he declined to hear oral arguments.

State court arguments against NY SAFE are scheduled to begin on January 16. The State Courts will have a more direct effect on the NY legislation, than a Federal District court attempt to block the implementation, as this case was.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Federal Judges are appointed by Presidents. Take note of that the next time you decide you need to sit at home on election day.
    I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment, however, in this case, Judge Skretny was a George H W Bush appointee from the Buffalo, NY area and considered to be conservative by many. Initial hopes in this case were that he would deliver a well reasoned decision.
    In a real world, a NY conservative is probably a moderate Liberal.
    Last edited by Klyde; January 1st, 2014 at 09:13 AM.

It is getting VERY old seeing politicians (mainly Dems) using douchebag tactics to jam through legislation they feel needs to be in place. You would think it will come to a head one day and the mass of the sheep will pull their head out of their asses, however I am not too sure it will happen.

(Westmoreland County)

“Of course, this is only one incident,” Judge Skretny wrote. “But it is nonetheless illustrative. Studies and data support New York’s view that assault weapons are often used to devastating effect in mass shootings.”
    You mean like how that Remington pump shotgun was used in the Aurora Co shootings?

Pay close attention..... this is how "gradual incrementalism" works.

This time it's "assault weapons". They are considered "particularly dangerous and unnecessary for self defense" - even if less than a few hundred people are year are killed with them.

Next time it's "handguns, which are responsible for three quarters of all gun deaths". On Appeal the Courts say, "Well, they banned assault weapons, didn't they?".

If your favorite Liberal friends say "Slippery Slope" ask them why Pro-Choicers defend the practice of partial birth abortions? "Do you like infanticide or are you preventing Pro-Lifers from banning first term abortions by denying them a Court Precedent of banning some form of abortion?".

(Westmoreland County)

In court papers, the plaintiffs argued that the seven-round limit threatened the ability of New Yorkers to defend themselves, while the state attorney general’s office said there was no evidence to support “fantastical scenarios involving multiple home invaders” that would necessitate a firearm loaded with more than seven rounds.
    Why seven rounds?

Wouldn't limiting semi-automatics to TWO ROUNDS be even better? Joe Biden said all you gotta do is shoot the firearm out the window. One shot would do the job nicely.

I don't care if people have coffin mags with sixty rounds. I don't see the fixation on magazine capacity.

Here's why....

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    You mean like how that Remington pump shotgun was used in the Aurora Co shootings?

Pay close attention..... this is how "gradual incrementalism" works.

This time it's "assault weapons". They are considered "particularly dangerous and unnecessary for self defense" - even if less than a few hundred people are year are killed with them.

Next time it's "handguns, which are responsible for three quarters of all gun deaths". On Appeal the Courts say, "Well, they banned assault weapons, didn't they?".

If your favorite Liberal friends say "Slippery Slope" ask them why Pro-Choicers defend the practice of partial birth abortions? "Do you like infanticide or are you preventing Pro-Lifers from banning first term abortions by denying them a Court Precedent of banning some form of abortion?".
    The war on handguns took began in the 1970s. The Handgun Control Act of 1979 almost became the law of the land except for last minute changes that were brought forth by the pro-gun side that caused the sponsers, including ted kennedy, to vote against their own bill.

The Saturday night special, meaningless jargon, was the buzz phrase during that time period which lasted until the late 80s. At that time, the black guns became popular and the gun grabbers believed they would be an easier target. Remember, criminals are outgunning the police myth perpetuated by the anti-gun zealots? This was the warped thinking that brought forth AWBs in a number of states along with the Clinton inspired Assault Weapon Ban of 1994.
    Last edited by c45man; January 1st, 2014 at 01:36 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    It is getting VERY old seeing politicians (mainly Dems) using douchebag tactics to jam through legislation they feel needs to be in place. You would think it will come to a head one day and the mass of the sheep will pull their head out of their asses, however I am not too sure it will happen.
    People trust the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

They trust Politicians to follow the required rules to pass legislation. They trust Politicians to discuss laws and to think carefully about them before they vote on them.

They feel this way because Laws have definite consequences if you break them, so they ASSUME that Politicians have thought things out in advance because the penalties are serious. Too.

If they realized that Politicians make deals and do shady things, why, they might question why they will pay fines or go to jail based upon some foolishness.

I would bet my next paycheck that most Americans do not really believe that Nancy Pelosi said, "We have to pass the Affordable Health Care Act so you can see what is in the law". They say, "That's Rush Limbaugh being silly".

I also suspect that a lot of people still trust the Media. The Media brings them "facts" and gives them "information". They feel that they are "in touch with the world" if they "see the news every day".

If they realized that the Media is like any other business - it's there to make a profit and if it "bleeds it leads" - they might decide to shut off the TV and read a book. They would do this because the Media is not showing them what is going on out there, the Media is there to keep their dumb asses in front of the TV to sell them things.

People are being lead to believe that it's Dodge City somewhere in America every day. They will draw two conclusions. "We have to outlaw guns" or "I better get me a gun so I have an even chance". At the rate that firearms are being made and sold in the US I vote for option #2.
    Last edited by GeneCC; January 1st, 2014 at 01:38 PM.

(Northampton County)

I guess the glock 19 and the walther p22 which were used at Virginia Tech are next.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast