Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default .22LR Erma--Luger clone

So, my father gifted to me a Luger-flavored Erma chambered in .22LR, with the advice that it was not working (can't get the hammer to fall) and directing me to see what I can do to fix it.

Not sure where to even begin with this, Lugers were never my thing. Seems a bit old (I think my grandfather purchased it quite a while back.) Is this something even worth putting some cash into to fix?

(Chester County)

Default Re: .22LR Erma--Luger clone

I don't have one but have always been fascinated by these little pistols. A few companies made them, (Erma, and Stoeger) and I heard one was better than the other but can't remember which one. Since Stoeger is just an importer, it may have been a re-branded Erma, or made by someone else.

Anyway, while the Erma Luger does employ a toggle system, it is quite different from the actual Luger as it is a blowback, not locked breech. Have you cleaned, and lubed the pistol? There may be instructions for it available on line. That is about all I can tell you.
    Last edited by Pilot321; December 31st, 2013 at 02:57 PM.

(Centre County)

Well, not good news from here, there are very few parts to be had for this gun. It's a really cheap knock off of the Luger. For an exploded view, go to egunparts.com (Numrich).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Fayette County)

There is also an outfit called Bob's in Arkansas that carries parts. There are also a lot of internet articles on Erma. Hope this helps.

(Butler County)

I had a Stoeger Luger for quite a while. Good shooter. Nice balance and feel. The safety got real soft, as in it wouldn't stay on. The lever just kind of went where it wanted. I sold it real easy at a gun show. I told him the problem before hand and he didn't care. I made money on it too.

(York County)

I have one I got about 3 years ago.

Nice shooter, fussy about what brand of ammo you put in it. I found that the "Lightning" brand solid lead roundnose work really well. While the magazine will hold 10-12 rds, it jams when loaded with more than 8-9 rounds.

Some history on these:
    The Erma Luger was originally designed in the 1930s as a replacement unit to put into standard German Lugers to allow for training with .22rf ammo in place of the more expensive 9mm.

At some point in the postwar era (likely the 1950s) Erma began making whole guns with cast alloy frames. There were several calibers of the Erma Luger made: .22, .32 acp, .380. Production stopped in the late 1970s-early 80s.

The Stoeger Luger is not the same gun so don't try to substitute replacement parts using one.

(Luzerne County)

I have a 380 version. Have not had it out yet.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Perry County)

I saw one of these on either Gunbroker or Armslist a few years back. Went for over $400, maybe even more. It was an Erma one.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

(Franklin County)

I'm surprised the little 22LR has enough blowback to reliably toggle the action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast