Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Do you need to be a Certified firearms instructor

Hello, I been shooting for years . I was asked by a few people to teach them the safety and handling of a firearm and teach them the proper way to shoot as well. They said that they would pay me for their lessons. Do you have to be certified to teach people how to shoot and to learn gun safety? This sounds like a good part time job. Also what is the going hourly rate to teach someone on gun safety.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Do you need to be a Certified firearms instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Big5 View Post
    Hello, I been shooting for years . I was asked by a few people to teach them the safety and handling of a firearm and teach them the proper way to shoot as well. They said that they would pay me for their lessons. Do you have to be certified to teach people how to shoot and to learn gun safety? This sounds like a good part time job. Also what is the going hourly rate to teach someone on gun safety.
    Now I dont know all the rules and laws etc. That said, if it wasnt a good friend, I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. You accept money for services, you would be liable for anything that may go wrong at any point.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Allegheny County)

maybe have them supply you with ammo as a "thank you for your time" gift instead of money?

if they are good friends, or a friend of a friend that you know then how about they supply all ammo and range fees and 2 boxes of ammo if you are looking to capitalize a little bit.

i wouldn't go advertising it and telling everyone to spread the word. if that is how you want to do it, get some credentials.

when people ask me to teach them (i know them pretty well first of all) i tell them to bring ammo and that is it.

(Bucks County)

If the people are your friends, I would provide limited help as a courtesy. If they want professional instruction refer them to the NRA classes. If you want to do that as a job, then you should get certified before any teaching. IMHO
    Politicians who fear the people seek to disarm them.

People who fear their government's intentions refuse to be disarmed.

(Allegheny County)

I'm just spitballing here. But you really need insurance if your going to take money for your teaching, im betting anyone willing to insure you for this requires some kind of instructor cert.

I have looked into getting NRA certified and from a little research I did. NRA has policies you can buy for instructors.

I would not take any cash for teaching unless I was certified and insured.

I have considered it as I am very pro training for safety and marksmanship. But right now I don't have the time to make it cost effective. I could probiably get certified without to much trouble but I dont think I have the time to teach enough to even break even.

I offer free advice to close friends and family. Ill let them shoot a bit of my own ammo as well. If its an acquaintance or a friend of a friend they supply the ammo. Everyone pays their own range fees if any.

Insurance for NRA instructors is between $150 and $300 a year depending on coverage amounts.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/instructors.htm
    Last edited by QuackXP; December 30th, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Delaware County)

Most of the people that asked me are friend of a friend. I will tell them I will teach them how to shoot as long as they supply ammo and pay for range time.

Thank you

I've always told them I'll supply the guns if they supply their own ammo and leave it at that.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Berks County)

Big5,

I agree with QuackXP when it comes to teaching for compensation (none friends and sometimes close friends in today's world). In the firearm world, I would say you should have certification(s) and liability insurance. A true CMA move, if you understand my meaning.

For pricing info, check out this out-of-state LGS. http://gandlacademy.com/
    Last edited by dp2002; December 30th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Nothing wrong with giving free instruction. But, as others have said, the second you start taking money, it changes the game. Some ranges have instructors on staff already, so you may be undercutting them. What if there is an accident while you are teaching them for a fee? What if they have an accident after you train them, and they come after you for improper instruction, etc etc? "I paid Big5 to teach me..........."

I'd caution against taking any fee for training if not certified and insured. As stated, make them pay range fees and bring their own ammo. Get them the basics and point them to a certified trainer after that.

(Tioga County)

The firearms instructor business is a tough one. As one person in the military/government training business says, you can walk out into the parking lot and kick over a rock and find a firearms instructor. Firearms instructor CV's/resumes are stacked to the ceiling in these places.

I think anyone thinking about being an instructor in anything, firearms or otherwise is that there are 2 parts to it. One that you have the experience and education and second, that you are skilled in instructional methods and can actually teach. People might say "dude, I can shoot the balls off of a squirrel at 900 yards" and I would say, well, teach me a class on how to do that and then demonstrate it and then let me try with you instructing me.

It's like any profession, even if you do it as a part time job, it's a hell of a lot of hard work and investment of time and money.

If it's just a hobby where people you know hold your skills and education in high regard and you are just helping them out, cool. More than that and any business transaction trading hands, then you should be certified and insured. In addition there are always volunteer opportunities as well with young shooters and at matches as perhaps a safety officer or coach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast