Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Extractor

(Allegheny County)

Default AR-15 Extractor

It was suggested that you never shoot steel cased Wolf in a Kel-tec Plr-16 because it was too hard on the extractor. I never did until I bought my AR. The extractor didn't last much past 100rds. Guess they were serious. I shot so many rounds with it, I thought it could handle anything. Oops.Who knew?

Anyway, I need a new one. The extractor for the PLR is the same as an AR. So, my question is this:
    Is there a noticable difference between Chrome, Titanium and just a Standard metal extractor?
    Is it worth the money to buy the C ot T as opposed to the standard one. Is one company better than another as far as quality?
    Where is a good place to buy one?
    Ok, it was three questions. Four if you count Who knew.

(Chester County)

Default Re: AR-15 Extractor

Titanium shears nicely... I'd avoid it unless you are looking for the lightest possible moving mass.

(Montgomery County)

I have shot literally tens of thousands of rounds of Wolf steel case in my M16 uppers (9mm and 5.56) and have not yet suffered an extractor failure.

further, I use an 0-ring under the extractors, which brutally increases the gripping force, and still no failures.

I suffered an extractor failure in my AR SBR once many rears ago, but that was well worn by that time, so it may just have been time.
    It also happened with brass cased, so it was just a part that failed.

chances are you just got a bad extractor, or their extractor is too soft in general.

just buy a quality steel extractor from bushmaster or DPMS and replace it, and go on with your shooting
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

I saw this and thought you where having AR problems again, I wasn't gonna be to happy!

I really couldn't tell you if any of the diff types of extractors will hold up better or not so i'll defer that someone else, just wanted to check on the big guy.

(Allegheny County)

I'm confused, is your AR new and you only put 100 rounds of (steel cased)Wolf through it before the extractor failed? What specifically failed on your extractor?
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm confused, is your AR new and you only put 100 rounds of (steel cased)Wolf through it before the extractor failed? What specifically failed on your extractor?
    I'd like to know this as well, my interest is piqued.

Maybe it was a typo and he meant to type 1000.

(Allegheny County)

yeah, I have around 700 of wolf through my AR no prob, and a couple hundred of brass.
    I think he means the extractor on his Kel-tec broke, which from my understanding they are prone to do. On ktog they suggest you replace the extractor as soon as you get the gun.

here are extractors, they are cheap:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...807***11619***

he is not talking about his AR. He is talking about his PLR which is the little keltec 223 pistol, which he had alot of rounds threw, but only started shooting wolf threw it recently(when he got his AR). I'm thinking they use the same extractor but the bolt/bolt carrier are setup different so its under more stress somehow, but thats pure guessing as i've never looked at one that close. I'll be interested to know what the deal is though

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    just buy a quality steel extractor from bushmaster or DPMS and replace it, and go on with your shooting
    What he said.

Lycanchiminginthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    he is not talking about his AR. He is talking about his PLR which is the little keltec 223 pistol, which he had alot of rounds threw, but only started shooting wolf threw it recently(when he got his AR). I'm thinking they use the same extractor but the bolt/bolt carrier are setup different so its under more stress somehow, but thats pure guessing as i've never looked at one that close. I'll be interested to know what the deal is though
    Sorry about the delay in replying guys, I posted before I left for work. XD, your post was right on. Supposibly, Kel-tec recommends not using Wolf. I shot 1000's of rnds of brass with it but never Wolf.
    Everybody loves pics, so here 's some pics. Sheared off the tip.

The failure could have been caused by useage but it broke with Wolf. So maybe there's something to the recommendation.
    XD45, just want to thank you again for looking over the AR and finding the problen and installing the new RRA trigger. It runs like a charm. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast