Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Late-night visitors/ answering the door armed?

Wasn't exactly where to put this...but here goes:

So, having just read an article about a Bethlehem, PA man who answered a knock at his door after 10:00pm and was shot by would-be intruders, it set me to thinking:

If I hear a knock at my door that late at night, I'd most likely answer the door with my weapon out of sight, but reaedily accessible. I'm unsure as to how kosher this is, but to me it seems to be the smartest and safest course of action if I'm not expecting visitors at this late hour.

Thoughts? Comments? Gripes about me being a paranoid vet? Anyone else think the same way?

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    Popichak is probably trolling this for his next story...

(Chester County)

Default Re: Late-night visitors/ answering the door armed?

I do not open the door, especially at night if I don't know who is on the other side. I can talk to them through the door, and determine if I should open the door, or not. Unless it is someone I know, I do not open the door. They can call me if they want to ask me something.

(Beaver County)

Depends on what hotel you're staying at...

Seriously though, whether you answer the door armed or unarmed, the late-night visitor may still get the drop on you. I would think the best option would be to first, verify who is at your door. Don't stand in front of your door to do this, and don't find false safety behind a peep hole. Call out and ask who is there. If the response you get is satisfying, you're clear. If not, escalate to either trying to get a look out another window to make sure no other parties are around lying in wait. You can dismiss the late-night visitor at this point, or now move to getting eyes on based on what you know already from the previous steps. Peep hole, windowed door, or if forced, open the door: most likely you're only options unless A: you have side windows that can see your door B: you have security cameras which would have already determined before this step what the person looks like C: you hate your kids and make them stay out at an OP providing over watch on your house.

A gun near by and out of sight? I would say yes. This is just my opinion and what I would try to exercise if faced with a late-night visitor. I've never faced one, but I constantly worry my fiance will when I'm away.

It's METT-TC dependent.

(Beaver County)

Any knock on the door after dark that isn't expected, it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

(Bucks County)

I just read an article yesterday about a guy in Texas who is facing life or a death sentence for firing at intruders. he lived in a neighborhood that was known for armed invasions. Apparently a whole group of armed men attempted to break in. He got the first one.

It is a damned shame nobody thought to yell, "POLICE" or something like that! Of course, his life is ruined, and a cop is dead(right or wrong, your choice). If I was a cop, in Pennsylvania, I think I'd want someone to call ahead and let the citizen know that "we are coming, there will be this many of us, and here is a copy of the warrant posted at this web address, we plan to arrive in about 20 minutes, so please don't shoot us and we will promise to be polite, gentle on your furniture and family members, and respectful of your home".

My point: No knock warrants need to go away and if they don't, the judge that issued it needs to suffer for ANY and ALL problems rising out of it's use!

It's my home and if some one knocks on the door after 10, they had better expect me to be coming to the door armed.
    While you can't shoot out your door, if they get in or start shooting at you, you have the right to defend yourself.

(Lackawanna County)

There is zero chance of someone knocking on my door and me not having a gun if I open it

(Beaver County)

Night or day, I ALWAYS answer the door with my firearm in reach (usually somewhere on my person). Of course, the precautions stated above are always followed prior to answering; But I never go to the door without my firearm. Not all criminals strike at night.
    Obligatory IANAL!

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    (By the power of truth, I while living have conquered the universe)

(Beaver County)

I used to have a dog that made sure to let the late night upstanding citizens know that they were about to bite off more than they could chew...

...but he's gone, and my boxer likes to play the waiting game. So lately, I've taken to having the 686 or 642 with me. It doesn't happen often, but my neighborhood is full of drunks and their drunk friends that sometimes end up at the wrong house. Haven't needed it...yet.
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    There is zero chance of someone knocking on my door and me not having a gun if I open it
    +1. I have a large picture window out front that I can talk to anyone and see anyone. Knock on my back door and I know theres a problem.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast