Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Advice on getting into local competition shooting

I've been browsing several forums and general Google results for a couple of months in my spare time, but finding more "localized" information is somewhat challenging as the information is scattered.

I'd like to get into competitive shooting, but don't want to do what I typically do with hobbies--I.E., jumping into the the deep end.

I've got a HK Stamped Benelli M1, several pump 12 & 20 gauge, an old O/U break action Savage 12 gauge and a few others, so I'm thinking that I've got the shotgun aspect covered.

As far as rifles (that would be remotely "competition" useable), I would probably have to build one of the receivers that I have waiting, as most of my stuff is shorter of barrel or large caliber (.50 Beo, Armalite AR10, etc.), although I have a couple of bolt action (Rem 700 SPS, etc.) in the non-semi-auto realm.

Handgun, I'm at a loss, as I'm more of a rifle guy. Only things I have in that area are an HK .40 USP Compact, .460 S&W 8 3/8", and a .380 Bodyguard. I put a deposit down on a USP Expert in 9mm, but I've told them not to order it yet as I'm not certain that's the way I want to go. I'm not a big fan of Glocks (just personal preference) and I've never seen the allure of 1911s (I can certainly appreciate them). I'd love to say "Hey, I'll pick up the USP Expert in 9mm and if I don't like it, I'll just pick up something else", but I'm not made of money, and I've considered going HK .45 Tactical as well.

I've been slanted (above being evidence) towards HKs as I've loved the USPC since I bought it in 2004 and have had Glocks (didn't like the feel of them and wasn't as accurate with them as I was with the USPC--even in 9mm) and Sigs (had issues with them and lost trust). The USPC has eaten 1000 of rounds without any hiccups, even going a year without cleaning it. I've just been very happy with it and if possible, would like to pick up another.

End result of my rambling, I'd be happy to hear (and greatly appreciate) advice on a handgun selection and some local-ish (I'm located in Hatfield) events to start out with .

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Advice on getting into local competition shooting

Are you looking to get into 3 gun competition? defensive Pistol (IDPA), Practical shooting (USPSA/IPSC)? Trap/Skeet, Sporting Clays? Cowboy Action (SASS).. 2 Gun.

What type of shooting are you looking to do? Do you want to stick with just the rifles? There are NRA high power matches that also go on that you could use some of your rifles in.

I suggest starting off with the items you have and depending what you like and how serious you want to get, then start making purchases that are geared toward that..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Lancaster County)

Even though you said your a "rifle guy" I would encourage you to start off with a handgun only sport. It will help you cut your teeth and learn some of the nuance without overwhelming you with multiple firearms from the start. after you get a few matches under your belt, then move to 3-gun if that's the way you are leaning.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    Are you looking to get into 3 gun competition? defensive Pistol (IDPA), Practical shooting (USPSA/IPSC)? Trap/Skeet, Sporting Clays? Cowboy Action (SASS).. 2 Gun.

What type of shooting are you looking to do? Do you want to stick with just the rifles? There are NRA high power matches that also go on that you could use some of your rifles in.

I suggest starting off with the items you have and depending what you like and how serious you want to get, then start making purchases that are geared toward that..
    I've been looking more towards 3 gun. Trap/Skeet is available at a couple of the ranges I belong to, but wanted something more rifle/pistol oriented.

My wife suggested that we do the Mammoth Sniper Challenge (http://www.mammothsniperchallenge.com/match.html) next January (2015), so I'd like to get some other competitions under our belt before that point.

I'm not looking to be a "contender", but I also don't want to be extremely limited by hardware.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankC1776 View Post
    Even though you said your a "rifle guy" I would encourage you to start off with a handgun only sport. It will help you cut your teeth and learn some of the nuance without overwhelming you with multiple firearms from the start. after you get a few matches under your belt, then move to 3-gun if that's the way you are leaning.
    Hmm.

You make a very valid point. I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

Appreciate the advice!

(Tioga County)

Sounds like the first thing you should ask is what type of weapon do you enjoy shooting the most and next what are your physical abilities? For some people competitions where you stay in one place on the line or bench is their sort of thing, others who can move or want to move while shooting, other competitions suit them.

One of the best things to do is do a search for gun and sportsmans clubs around you and find out what they have going on. Most of these clubs are going to have a website with a schedule and list of activities. I was a very active competitor years ago and then dropped out in favor of another sport. Getting back into it what I did was find local clubs and see what they had going on.

Personally I'm a big fan of basic marksmanship. I have no idea what your abilities are. My personal belief is that one may look good as a Geardo with $4000 rifles, optics, lasers, lights, magpul this and that, and are outfitted like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man of tactical gear and perhaps even have cool sunglasses on, but if you can't hit a steel plate at 50-100 metres with a rifle or 25 metres with a pistol, you've got a lot of work to do. So for rifle I'd start first with practical rifle competitions or some sort of competition shooting from a line such as smallbore rifle, high power, CMP etc. With pistol, there are NRA pistol matches and if you are comfortable drawing a pistol and moving while shooting IDPA is good.

I'd say if you can master those competitions with good scores for accuracy, then if you want to do competitions that are more action based or what I call the "mongolian horde comps" like 3 Gun or USPSA, you will be well prepared because with a base line of good shooting skills and accuracy you can build on that by layering on speed.

I saw a guy earlier this year, first match ever, his weapon handling skills were not great and it wasn't long before he had a negligent discharge pointed down range fortunately, which put everyone on edge, rightfully so and made him even more nervous. He was a nice guy but needed some instruction first to get his weapon handling and safety skills up to par. So I'd put some thought into that as well. Are you safe? Do other people think you are safe and are comfortable being around you? For some people it's good to get training and assessment first and then move on to competition. Take it step by step.

(Montgomery County)

Are you a member of a club? See if they have anything? Check the websites of other local clubs. Many run competitions that are open to the public. Lower Providence has IDPA tomorrow. If you have time, go and watch. There are Trap teams that rotate around, shooting at different clubs each week.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by DSMDealer View Post
    I've been looking more towards 3 gun. Trap/Skeet is available at a couple of the ranges I belong to, but wanted something more rifle/pistol oriented.

My wife suggested that we do the Mammoth Sniper Challenge (http://www.mammothsniperchallenge.com/match.html) next January (2015), so I'd like to get some other competitions under our belt before that point.

I'm not looking to be a "contender", but I also don't want to be extremely limited by hardware.
    If you really want to do 3 Gun and for instance if trap/skeet comps are available at your local ranges, then I would enter those and see what your skills are against other people and see how you measure up. If good, then those skills are good practice for shotgun in 3 gun, if you are terrible, then you have some basic shotgun skills to work on.

IDPA pistol matches are a good way to learn how matches are run to prepare you for these 3 gun comps. I'd do as many of those comps as possible. USPSA does similar type comps as well but with more targets and higher round counts.

As an instructor in motorsports and firearms, my own personal belief is that you should be able to crawl before you can run, master the basic competitions first or at least do well before moving up.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Sounds like the first thing you should ask is what type of weapon do you enjoy shooting the most and next what are your physical abilities? For some people competitions where you stay in one place on the line or bench is their sort of thing, others who can move or want to move while shooting, other competitions suit them.
    One of the reasons I'd like to get into this is that I'm extremely tired of bench/line shooting, and punching holes in paper. I'm also getting fat and complacent.

One of the best things to do is do a search for gun and sportsmans clubs around you and find out what they have going on. Most of these clubs are going to have a website with a schedule and list of activities. I was a very active competitor years ago and then dropped out in favor of another sport. Getting back into it what I did was find local clubs and see what they had going on.
    I'm a member at Boulder Valley, and a couple of ranges in Northern PA (Northumberland and Elysburg). Most of my shooting is done up there when I'm visiting family. I'm less familiar with the ranges around here than I am up there, but it's impractical to look into anything up in that area.

Personally I'm a big fan of basic marksmanship. I have no idea what your abilities are. My personal belief is that one may look good as a Geardo with $4000 rifles, optics, lasers, lights, magpul this and that, and are outfitted like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man of tactical gear and perhaps even have cool sunglasses on, but if you can't hit a steel plate at 50-100 metres with a rifle or 25 metres with a pistol, you've got a lot of work to do. So for rifle I'd start first with practical rifle competitions or some sort of competition shooting from a line such as smallbore rifle, high power, CMP etc. With pistol, there are NRA pistol matches and if you are comfortable drawing a pistol and moving while shooting IDPA is good.
    That's the issue. I have no ideas what my abilities are. I don't hunt, so I have no reference in that regard. As far as punching holes in paper from a bench, @ 200 yards with the 700SPS in .308 my groups are about an inch or so in diameter. Using a clay thrower (mechanical) at Boulder Valley, I'm typically 9 out of 10 and it gets boring. Does that mean that I'm of decent abilities? I honestly have no idea. I'm typically one of the better shooters at the range when I go with people I know, but what does that mean? Do they just suck? That's the most likely scenario.

I'd say if you can master those competitions with good scores for accuracy, then if you want to do competitions that are more action based or what I call the "mongolian horde comps" like 3 Gun or USPSA, you will be well prepared because with a base line of good shooting skills and accuracy you can build on that by layering on speed.
    And that's something I'd have to get past as well. I'd love to be able to compete in 3 gun, but have to get over the resemblance of looking like a Mall Ninja. I'm not comparing 3-gun or other competition shooters to Mall Ninjas--I just can't get that image out of my head.

I saw a guy earlier this year, first match ever, his weapon handling skills were not great and it wasn't long before he had a negligent discharge pointed down range fortunately, which put everyone on edge, rightfully so and made him even more nervous. He was a nice guy but needed some instruction first to get his weapon handling and safety skills up to par. So I'd put some thought into that as well. Are you safe? Do other people think you are safe and are comfortable being around you? For some people it's good to get training and assessment first and then move on to competition. Take it step by step.
    Once again, I *think* I'm safe. When taking other, less experienced people to the range, I'm very critical of them doing anything unsafe (trigger discipline, safety usage, muzzle downrange at all times, etc.). However, I have no real basis to judge myself.

Thanks again for the input--I do appreciate all of it and you taking the time to respond!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Are you a member of a club? See if they have anything? Check the websites of other local clubs. Many run competitions that are open to the public. Lower Providence has IDPA tomorrow. If you have time, go and watch. There are Trap teams that rotate around, shooting at different clubs each week.
    I'm actually going to try to make it to this tomorrow as a spectator--thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast