Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What to buy with RCBS rock chucker?

[QUOTE=busa dave;2597869]In my opinion Hornady makes the best dies. Get yourself the rcbs digital scale. i have 3 other scales and all three are pieces of crap. a hornady, frankford arsenal, and a cabelas brand. the rcbs is rock steady. just be sure to let your scale dies

I totally agree about the Hornady dies. I had always used RCBS, but a friend of mine let me borrow his Hornadys for a caliber that I was just starting out with. Man, what a difference! They're especially nice I you're loading small (ie .22) caliber flat base bullets . The seater drops down before the die body making it easier to hold the projectile straight and then get your fingers out of the way! I'm currently in the process of swapping all my die sets out to them.
    In the Land of the Blind,the One Eyed Man is King

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Been reloading since 1976, never owned a case gauge. A case trimmer would NOT be my last purchase. Your need to trim is very dependent on what you are loading and how hot you load. I trim crimped rifle rounds (32 Spl) every time, non crimped hunting rounds (270, 30-06) about every other time, revolver rounds (44 mag), almost never.

Dale
    As for case gauges...when you reload large amounts of ammo for many different rifles, a case gauge is indispensable.

I reload 7.62x51 for 5 different semi's, and .30-06 for 4, same with .223, a gauge will make sure your ammo will chamber in everything.

Should have been more clear on that point.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lancaster County)

Just an update. Bought a Rcbs universal Priming tool, the shell holders for 9mm, 45, 30-06 and 223 and a uniflow powder measure.

Now I think I want the dillon eliminator scale (as its supposed to be the exact same as the Rcbs but 30 dollars cheaper), however I can't find it anymore.... Anyone know where to buy them?

Also do I get 2 die rifle sets? And 3 die pistol sets? Or do you guys recommend something else?

(Somerset County)

That' what I have, be sure you get carbide dies for handgun.

Dale

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1990dtgl98 View Post
    Just an update. Bought a Rcbs universal Priming tool, the shell holders for 9mm, 45, 30-06 and 223 and a uniflow powder measure.

Now I think I want the dillon eliminator scale (as its supposed to be the exact same as the Rcbs but 30 dollars cheaper), however I can't find it anymore.... Anyone know where to buy them?

Also do I get 2 die rifle sets? And 3 die pistol sets? Or do you guys recommend something else?
    Yes straight walled handgun (and some rifle) require 3 die sets as they need an extra die to bell out the case mouth. Rifle rounds with a shoulder resize, deprime, and open the case mouth with the first die.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp die for my jacketed bullets. If you go with that option don't use it on your lead boolits cause it will swage them and increase the likelihood if barrel leading. Some people like the FCD and some don't. There is a lot of info out there so do a search and you can decide for yourself if you want to give it a try.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

(Lancaster County)

Another update. Picked up a brand new Hornady balance beam scale for 55 bucks.

I also got a Rcbs neck and primer brush for under 20, a Lyman Reloading manual and a Lee Decapping die (for when I do my 30-06 I can clean with a liquid cleaner after).

Any recommendations on a case trimmer? Would like to stay under 30 bucks as I don't see myself loading much rifle rounds.... And a 90 dollar trimmer doesn't seem like it's that important... Yet. And hand trimmer or cordless drill attachment recommendations?

(Tioga County)

For a case trimmer I use the Lee. You have to buy one for each caliber that you are loading but if your cases get too long they will trim them to the same length. I use mine with my cordless drill which will save on your wrist and hands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12