Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Did something stupid today...

Out shooting my new (to me) 1911 today. Had an ammo box full of loose 230 grain Winchesters and all was going well. Fired about 25-30 rounds or so. Loaded a fresh mag, pulled the trigger, and heard what sounded like a .22lr.

My first thought was, shit I got a bullet stuck in the barrel now! Slide was just slightly out of battery. I unloaded the mag, ejected the stuck case which fell down out of the mag well. Brass was bulged and cracked, and then it hit me... It was a .40 Smith and Wesson round. Must have gotten mixed up in my 45 ammo bin a long time ago since I haven't shot any 40's for about a year or so.

Anyway, took the gun apart, and looked at the barrel and chamber. It looks ok and i'm going to clean it tonight (looks like some unburnt powder in there). Could anything else have gotten damaged from this? I've heard of this happening before and guys say they just keep shooting. I want to give it a once over first and clean it, so is there anything in particular I should look for that may have been damaged?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: Did something stupid today...

Cant help but glad you are OK.

Ive done that a few times with 380 in a 9mm. Just wont cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    so is there anything in particular I should look for that may have been damaged?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    You could check the barrel and chamber for a crack, but it probably isn't likely. Plug one end super tight with tissue. Fill 90% with water, then blow into the barrel from the end without tissue. If it is cracked, the water will drip out before it can go into the tightly packed tissue. Do for opposite end to check chamber side. Do a good visual, as well. Some pistols can have a couple internals bounce around ( a PT 92 can have trigger internals and the return spring pop out of place, or the slide stop, even, but not on a 1911. I think you're just in for a long clean up job because one 'puff' will fill everything up with soot. At least you know the extractor is working right since it held the cartridge in place good enough to fire it.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

first off, glad you are ok.

second, and i'm not an expert. is the barrel bulged? did it scrape up the inside of the barrel? (it was a loose shell if I understand correctly)

is it worth it to you to have a gunsmith give it a quick once over?

(Bucks County)

Without putting a .40 under my 1911 extractor to see the relationship, I'm deducing from your description that:

1- The round fired but failed to develop normal pressure because the shell was unable to form a seal in the chamber.

2- The low-pressure charge blew past the undersized projectile while still able to push the projectile out of the barrel.

3- The extractor was not hooked onto the shell sufficient to pull it from the chamber, or, the slide was never shoved back with much force due to the low pressure of the unsealed round and bullet. It probably never went rearward much at all. The gasses would have escaped in both directions...out the muzzle and out the chamber.

4- I doubt any parts would be harmed from the error. You might have ignition debris (burnt and unburned powder residues). Field-strip and clean/lube should be all that's needed.

5-I am not a gunsmith, nor am I a 1911 armorer.

(Lawrence County)

Pressure was low in this case. You didn't hurt anything.

Lycannoworriesthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

Smile Re: Did something stupid today...

if you see nothing wrong, there isn't anything wrong. Didn't develop pressure as the
    Werewolf said, so it's a 'learning experience'. Glad you are ok!

(Dauphin County)

Well, now that Lycan has spoken, you can be pretty sure that nothing is wrong, so I'll say something light-hearted. It would be easier for me to just post on a day when I didn't do something stupid. Of course, I would have a very low post count, like maybe 2 posts. Ever. In my whole life.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    first off, glad you are ok.

second, and i'm not an expert. is the barrel bulged? did it scrape up the inside of the barrel? (it was a loose shell if I understand correctly)

is it worth it to you to have a gunsmith give it a quick once over?
    Just got it cleaned up. The inside of the barrel and chamber were filthy. No bulges or cracks that I could find. I'm guessing the extractor held the shell in place because the primer was struck almost dead center. And the bullet didn't damage the barrel due to the loss of pressure when the case split open. I think that's what Lycan meant. Taking it back out this weekend for a function test.

Side note, I'm not wearing gloves anymore when loading up my mags. I probably would have been able to feel that smaller round if I didn't have the gloves on. Either way I'll be paying extra attention next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast