Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Smith & Wesson M&P Sight Removal

I got a Trijicon Night Sight, and I want to have it installed on my M&P 40.

Is anyone here is willing to lend out the special Smith & Wesson M&P sight removal tool so I can put my new night sights on my pistol?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Smith & Wesson M&P Sight Removal

What tool are you referring to? I have 3 m&ps and changed night sites on 2 of them without any special tool. You just have to unscrew the hex screw on top of the rear sight, then go from left to right while looking at the back of the slide using a punch and hammer. Only concern is the striker plunger is under the sight so be careful it doesn't fly out. Install is the same left to right, start the sight, hold the plunger down till you drift the sight over. Front site is same left to right, some versions you go go either way but some has to be left to right.

Unless you are asking to borrow a sight pusher? You don't need a special tool. I would let you borrow my pusher or do it for you if you want to come to pittsburgh....
    Last edited by mike12_nguyen; December 26th, 2013 at 03:57 PM.

(York County)

I'm looking at ar15.com

citation

The instructions for the sight tool were very specific, such as which direction the sights must be pushed off, and back on.

The bottom line here is that the dovetailing cuts are likely directional - so be careful and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Do not attempt to replace the sights on an M&P without THE special tool.

After performing the operation (with the M&P sight tool), I would go so far as to say that before I would allow any old Gun Smith to do the operation - that he show me that he actually has THE special tool. If not, BUY IT yourself - and be a good man by renting/lending it to others.

After all this, I can't believe I actually considered the drifting method.

Thanks to all who helped make this a success.

ETA - The tool can be purchased for about $125 - and the Trijicon SA37 sights were about the same cost.

ETA2 - Remember to apply oil to the threads of the sight tool as you operate it, as significant force is required as JW777 has stated. Even WITH the tool, it is an extremely tight fit. Also, beware of the spring and disc under the rear sight which were not mentioned in the directions - I had the assistance of my son which made that process possible without shooting parts somewhere around the room.

ETA3 - The tool used was made by MGW.

Based off that thread, I'm assuming smith and wesson makes an essential, special tool, for sight removal, and sight replacement.

If these Trijicon Night sights weren't worth so much money I'd be quick with my hands, but after reading that from ar15.com I'm slowed down.

If it comes to using any ole pusher I'd like to wait until the smith, and wesson armorer (i pretty sure they called him that) gets back from his vacation at my local gun shop, so he can tell me what he'll charge me to do it. I'm just afraid he'll want about 50$ to do it

(Allegheny County)

I think that post is grossly wrong. Like I said I have 3 m&ps and replaced the sights with night sights on 2 of them without a hitch. I think the guy that posted that is a little confused. I didn't use my new sight pusher on those changes, I did them with a brass punch and rubber hammer. $125 is a joke to spend on a custom tool for simple sight switch, hell my sight pusher was only $70. if you would like I'll send you pics of one of the m&ps I changed out and step by step instructions. But if you are hesitant than just give it to your smith, but I highly doubt a smith would have that "special tool" most of the ones I know don't even use pushers they use punches.

(York County)

i appreciate what you have to say. I'd like to see what they'll charge first. If they want a gross amount to make as you say a simple sight change then I'll laughing at them, and then speaking to you again.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HUHwhat View Post
    i appreciate what you have to say. I'd like to see what they'll charge first. If they want a gross amount to make as you say a simple sight change then I'll laughing at them, and then speaking to you again.
    The other thing that you could do is take it to a shop that has an M&P Armorer on site. I have a sight pusher for the M&P's.. Only because I do so many of them. Not sure it would be worth the cost to only do one set. The brass punch method does work too, although some of the front sights are in there pretty tight. Hope that helps.
    Abby

(Monroe County)

Rear sight is easy off. Front sight will put up a fight. Getting the new frog on aint day but doable. The rear sight is easy but watch that plate and spring. I had that spring bend and get a kink in it when I replaced it. Gun wouldn't function with a busted spring. Call to S&W and they sent a new spring out. Did it right the second time. I put on some American operators. I like them.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(York County)

I went to Atlantic tactical, in York. They only wanted $10. I bought two new mags like I wanted to do, and they did it for free as per my suggestion. Putting the sights in must have been a bit difficult, because it took more than 15 minutes, but they acted like it was only going to be a couple of minutes before hand.

Now i got a M&P 40 with radioactive night sights, and 5 spare mags : ) I cut slots into the gun case to fit them all.