Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default New Tactical Rifle Build!!!

Some of you have probably heard me talk about this for quite a while, but I'm finally gonna post up some pics of it. I'm building a new long range "tactical rifle". I'll go over some of the specs and toss up some pics of some of the stuff that I have handy. I will also talk a little here about the build and some of the thinking behind why I chose what to build this rifle.

The rifle will be built on a blue printed Remington 700 ADL long action, and chambered in .300 WSM. I chose to build this "short action caliber" on a long action because in doing so I won't be limited by magazine length of how long I want the bullets overall length (OAL) to be. I will be shooting alot of 210 and 190 Berger VLD bullets. These types of bullets like to be seated on the lands, and normally for a bullet to be that long, it is longer than the standard magazine length. By using a long action, I will can load them as long as I want without any concerns, and actually offer a slightly better feed angle for the cartridges. The barrel is from Krieger and is stainless steel, 1:10" twist (for the heavy bullets), fluted (so it cools faster and reduces weight) and is 26" long. The trigger pictured is a Shilen that leaves the safety intact, and is adjustable for pre travel, over travel and pull weight between 1.5-3.5 #'s. I'll probably set it around 2-2.5 #'s.

The "red thing" is a tubbs speed lock firing pin. Some of you may not be aware of this, but there is something that some shooters refer to as "lock up time". Lock up time is the time that it takes from where the trigger breaks to when the firing pin actually hits the primer. Of all stock rifles, Remingtons supposedly have the fastest lock up time. I've seen some people claim that it's savages, but all the extremely knowledgable smiths and others that I talk to tell me that's just people trying to sound cool on the internet, it's really the Remington 700. Either way, I wanted to reduce the lock up time a bit more on my stock Remington. Reducing lock up time does a few things. One of the most beneficial things that it does, is that it makes the amount that you can move the barrel while the bullet is traveling down the barrel less, just a few milliseconds less, but it can make a difference. For bench rifle shooters this isn't such a big deal, but for hunters, prone shooters and moving targets, it can make a little bit of difference. They say that with the spring that comes with the firing pin, it also reduces how hard it is to cock the firing pin when you lift the handle. This means that it makes the action feel like it's a little bit "smoother" if you will just because it's not as difficult to cycle.

The thing that some of you might not recognize is an anschultz free rail and the black thing is the bipod adapter. The free rail will be set inside the foreend of the stock. What this does is allow you to move and adjust how far forward you want your strap or bipod to sit on the rifle, or remove it completely very quickly. I personally will be using the free rail to find the proper balance point on the rifle for my bipod. This will allow me to find a place where it is the most stable, and where I get the least muzzle jump. It's not something that's necessarily, but a nice accessory. The rifle scope is not pictured because I'm still waiting on it (taking forever). It will be a laminate camouflage scope from richard's microfit in the prone style. The remington 700 ADL that is the donor action is not pictured either it's with the gun smith currently.

Lots of pics coming up, so look around. Please ask any questions that you would like, and I'll be happy to answer as many as I can. Please also realize that this is how I chose to build this rifle, there are many ways to go about it. This is just what fits my budget best currently and what mood I'm in for this rifle to look like. Thanks and tell me what you think.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; December 12th, 2008 at 09:36 PM.

Default Re: New Tactical Rifle Build!!!

Here's all the parts together and the the free rail first.

Next is the Tubbs firing pin and the Shilen trigger. The firing pin is mostly aluminum with the tip steel, so that it's still durable. It takes a heavier spring than the stock, so overall the unit weighs close to the same amount, but the firing pin that actually moves weighs less, so it does make a difference. Eventually I will also be putting an aluminum bolt shroud to further reduce lock up time and a badger bolt handle, but those will come just a little bit later. This project is already expensive enough as it is.

Shilen trigger. The screws are to adjust the pre travel, over travel and pull weight. There is one more that is on the backside that you can't see in the photos.

Ok, So one of the best and most expensive parts of the actual rifle is the barrel. This barrel is GORGEOUS. It has 10 flutes that are 3/16th's of an inch wide. They are pretty deep and not as shallow as what you see on some factory barrels. Some of you might have never seen a custom barrel. These barrels do NOT come chambered and that is where the red end is at. You have to have a gun smith ream the chamber properly (very important), and they must also thread that end. Then on the other end the last inch is cut off the barrel to remove any part of the barrel that might have been damaged during the rifling process. After the barrel is cut off it then has to be crowned or threaded for a muzzle brake. I hate muzzle breaks because of the noise and would just rather take the recoil, so this barrel will only have a stepped/recessed crown. Krieger makes their barrels with 4 grooves (unless you request otherwise) with normal rectangular rifling (you can request polygonal rifling). This one is a 4 groove with normal rifling and it is beautiful. Krieger's barrels are a bit special because they are "cut rifled" instead of "button rifling"; both processes can result in accurate rifling and both will shoot. The nice thing about "cut rifling" is that it does not induce stress in the barrel, which is nice because sometimes when a barrel starts to heat up you will see stress shift the point of impact.

The spot where the barrel will be cut off is seen pretty clearly there in the last photo. Please don't bust on how bad these photos are, I just took some quick snapshots with her point and shoot digital since I only shoot 35mm SLR. These are just to give some people an idea of how it's coming and some of the accessories that I'm putting into this rifle. Please also realize that this barrel is not close to finished. It'll be much more polished and you can't see the workmanship in it now, it's beautiful. Thanks for looking and more will be coming of the rifle in the lathe and getting worked over and finished product.

(Lawrence County)

Only half a rifle and I'm still jealous.

Lycantaggedforfurtherviewingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

It looks like it's going to be a beauty.
    I bought a Blaser LRS2 in .300 Win Mag for the first long range shooting class I went to down at Blackwater. After that week I was hooked on long range precision/Tactical rifles. Now I have three of them and I'm always trying to justify having another one built.

Lol, it's addicting isn't it? Lycan, I know that you're jealous, lol, you already got yours you just need to dust them off. I'm glad you made the right choice the first time in caliber ALS, lol, I'm just giving some people heck I know it's a preference thing. That's really awesome that you now have 3 and are just looking for an excuse. This is my first personal custom rifle, I have shot my father's, friends', gunsmith's, etc, just haven't had my own personal built. My father has loaned me his free to use so they were basically mine, but not. I've been really really anxious about this one, can't wait to get it finished.

(Allegheny County)

Here are pictures of my other two.

Parts list is looking good, Tom. Look at you being Mr. Big Bucks using Berger bullets. Are you planning on refinishing the SS or leaving it as is? My next barrel will definately have flutes. I'm not so sure about it's positive properties, but I like the looks of fluted barrels.

I know the tough part is the WAIT. How long til it's completed? I feel your pain for the wait time...I have another 6-8 weeks for my form 4 to be approved.

Howdy Aubie, long time no see buddy . Glad that you approve of the parts list, I've always thought you had good taste in weapons. I decided to give the bergers a shot. Most of my gunsmith friends and other people I know haven't gotten them to shoot quite how they wanted to because they were constricted by magazine length, and could get cheaper bullets to shoot just as well. I decided I wanted to see what all the rage about these VLD's was, because of the BC's I know witha consistent load they'd do well out there. I'm still considering on how to finish this barrel. I think I may go with a full polish to begin with. My gunsmith buddy Randy does a finish that he calls "brushed" and it is kind of in between a full matte and polished look. You can see almost little brain from brushing the barrel different direction in the lathe. It looks pretty neat but I can do it later if I think the polish is too bright. So I guess at first I'm gonna shine it up, lol, it'll be a fair amount brighter than it is now.

I'm not sure about the positive properties of the flutes, I know it's something that's hard to measure. Either way I know that the weight reduction will be nice and they sure do look pretty neat. The stock lacks getting here by about 2 weeks from what I've been told from Richard's, it should have bene here about 2 or 3 weeks ago, so I'm not exactly pleased with them. After I get the stock, it should already be shooting within 2 weeks, but I might not have the final finish coat on the laminate stock by then, but I'll already be shooting it. It doesn't lack much though, the gunsmith is done with all his other rifles, and he is just gonna be working on mine and 2 more for himself, so once the parts are here it shouldn't be anytime at all for it to come together.

I'm curious to hear what new toy you have coming. Care to tell or just have me wait? Good to see you and glad that you like the parts list so far.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast