Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Problems

Started loading with a Lock-N-Load, and have had nothing but problems with the priming. I am Loading 45 ACP and hand feeding the cases & bullets and using the standard primer tube. Allot of the time the primer will not feed into the primer slide. Even when it does, the shell plate is not in perfect alignment such that the primer punch seats the primer. The net result is that I get allot of cartridges (15%) with powder & a crimped bullet but no primer.

Before using the press I fully dismantled and cleaned with the one-shot lubricant per the instructions. I have adjusted the auto advance mechanism pawls, but they seem to keep going out of adjustment. It took me over an hour to load 20 rounds & I have no confidence that they are properly loaded (concerned about no powder charge or a double charge).

I can size the cases and then hand prime, but that defeats the purpose of a progressive press. I have loaded before (single stage & Lee progressive), so it's not as if I do not know how to set up a press.

Before I call Hornady, does anyone have any advice for me?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Problems

If you are taking your time and not running the ram in a steady full motion it will act like its out of time! I had the same thing with mine when it was new. Once I got it adjusted and got used to it I had to readjust the pawls again. When I spoke with Hornady they told me that working the ram slow will cause the not fully advancing issue.

As far as the priming issue! It sounds like you need to adjust the travel of the primer shuttle or adjust the location of the lower housing that holds the primer tube and housing. Also are you using the weight rod (white plastic rod) that goes on too of the stack of primers in the tube?
    My press doesn't like Winchester primers, if I use Winchester primers I have some problems with them feeding. The problems I have had are either they hang up in the feed tube or will catch on the shuttle and hold it back.

One thing I would suggest doing is removing the primer shuttle and lightly sanding the outside edges to make sure there are no burrs. Also you can try leaving the outer explosion shield loose so it has a little wiggle to it.

If you need to adjust the primer shuttle, remove the shield, primer tube and primers. With the ram at the top/handle all the way down, the primer hole in the shuttle should be just past the center of the hole that accepts the primer feed tube. While it should be just past center it should have even space on either side. You may need to adjust the plastic bracket on top of the press to get the shuttle to travel far enough, as well as adjust the lower primer tube mount to get everything centered at the bottom.

Once you get everything adjusted properly I think you will find that Hornady has about the best priming system available on a progressive press.

If you have any other problems shoot me a pm

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by tripleS View Post
    If you are taking your time and not running the ram in a steady full motion it will act like its out of time! I had the same thing with mine when it was new. Once I got it adjusted and got used to it I had to readjust the pawls again. When I spoke with Hornady they told me that working the ram slow will cause the not fully advancing issue.

As far as the priming issue! It sounds like you need to adjust the travel of the primer shuttle or adjust the location of the lower housing that holds the primer tube and housing. Also are you using the weight rod (white plastic rod) that goes on too of the stack of primers in the tube?
    My press doesn't like Winchester primers, if I use Winchester primers I have some problems with them feeding. The problems I have had are either they hang up in the feed tube or will catch on the shuttle and hold it back.

One thing I would suggest doing is removing the primer shuttle and lightly sanding the outside edges to make sure there are no burrs. Also you can try leaving the outer explosion shield loose so it has a little wiggle to it.
    I was running the press in s steady motion. Probably too slow. But that is a concern in and of itself. Have to run it smooth, but not too slow (and of course too fast will mean jerky and more problems). Hopefully it will not be hyper sensitive. Sounds like for a while I will have to 100% inspect - cut cyclic rate in half & reduce advantages of the progressive press in half. The weight rod was not in place - I did not realize that that was what it was for. maybe things will be better with the weight rod in place.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Started loading with a Lock-N-Load, and have had nothing but problems with the priming. I am Loading 45 ACP and hand feeding the cases & bullets and using the standard primer tube. Allot of the time the primer will not feed into the primer slide. Even when it does, the shell plate is not in perfect alignment such that the primer punch seats the primer. The net result is that I get allot of cartridges (15%) with powder & a crimped bullet but no primer.

Before using the press I fully dismantled and cleaned with the one-shot lubricant per the instructions. I have adjusted the auto advance mechanism pawls, but they seem to keep going out of adjustment. It took me over an hour to load 20 rounds & I have no confidence that they are properly loaded (concerned about no powder charge or a double charge).

I can size the cases and then hand prime, but that defeats the purpose of a progressive press. I have loaded before (single stage & Lee progressive), so it's not as if I do not know how to set up a press.

I have an LnL AP as well. I had issues with the primer shuttle so I used 1200 grit sandpaper to sand it down a bit and make sure it moved freely. I did the same with the primer plunger and the hole of the primer shuttle. This may sound stupid, but make sure you're using the large primer shuttle, punch, and tube: I originally set mine up for large primers accidentally and had a hell of a time trying to get small primers to work until I swapped out the primer assemblies.

If the shellplate is just a little off make sure there's nothing stuck in the tiny holes under it: sometimes I'll have gunk (usually stray powder) in those holes but a quick blast of compressed air cleans everything out. Otherwise make sure the pawls are tightened down appropriately. They shouldn't come out of alignment too easy unless they're damaged I'd think. Midway sells them for $4.99/ea but if you're having major issues I'm pretty sure Hornady will send out new ones for free.

If you're messing with the Hornady PTX, I'd suggest getting a PowderFunnel.com PTX as it's incredibly easy to adjust -- just screw the die in further for more of a bell on your case, no messing around with multiple screws on separate contraptions. I'd also invest in a RCBS Lock-Out die or the Hornady Powder Cop die. The Lock-Out die will lock up the press if it detects an over/under-charged case whereas the Powder Cop requires you to look at it to check for a white circle. The Lock-Out die seems better in theory but it doesn't work with bottleneck cases

Sucks that you're having problems. For what it's worth I had a bunch of issues when I started out but now my press is running pretty well: I'll get 0-1 failures per batch of 100x9mms. I just did three runs of 100x9mm today and only lost 2 cases in the process -- two primers refused to be properly seated and hung the press both times.

(Montgomery County)

Every press has its rhythm to get it to work properly.

Hornady has such tight tolerances on its priming system, that it only takes a flake of powder to start causing issues.

Some people have taken to cleaning/blowing out with air at certain intervals of the reloading process.. Others have sanded the parts so that they weren't as sensitive to spilled powder.. And the powder measure will spill powder.

If the primer tube is full. You shouldn't need the white rod in place. It is more for when you are getting low and there is less weight on the bottom primer.

The shellplate alignment is adjusted with the pawls.. You make very minor adjustments to get that single click feel they describe in the video/manual.

they will wear down and need readjustment from time to time, but that really depends on how much you reload and cycle the press. just cycle it normally and make sure the plate is centering properly over the priming station..

Hornady quality control is horrible, but they will fix it fairly quickly.. Like mentioned, there might be burrs or something in the primer tube or that little piece that you screw down and holds the tubes.

I wouldn't do anything or run the press without the primer safety shield.. That is literally a blast shield to make sure a detonation goes up and hopefully away from you. If you've seen the pictures of detonations, the inner tube is normally split up.. And the primers rocket straight up, sometimes putting a hole in the ceiling.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Allegheny County)

Have you seen these videos? They explain how to set up your press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6BfPn5QaiA

(Butler County)

Reading the beginning of the OP, I was going to state the auto advance is off and needs adjusted, but I see you already tried to adjust them. I bought an LNL AP last year and mine came with the shellplate index mis-timed. I was having a very similar issue - the shell plate wouldn't quite index far enough and the primer wouldn't push up into the pocket. It took me a little bit to get them tweaked just right, but it sounds like you've been through that. I certainly didn't spend hours on getting it adjusted.

The other thing, as others said, is to make sure you've really cleaned the primer slide, the track for the primer slide, and the primer seat punch really well and the dry lube it very heavily. I use the Hornady One Shot stuff that they recommend and it's actually a very impressive product. If the primer slide and track isn't smooth and lubed, I've noticed a tendency to hang on returning on the down stroke with the new primer.

I've found Hornady's customer service to be outstanding and would call them first. They quickly and without questions replaced a batch of mis-cut lock bushing that required pliers to get in and out. Personally, I would advise against sanding down the primer track as a solution until you've talked to the factory. You could just have an lemon unit and I'm sure they'll make it right.

I always leave the white rod in FWIW to put pressure on the primers in the tube.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Reading the beginning of the OP, I was going to state the auto advance is off and needs adjusted, but I see you already tried to adjust them. I bought an LNL AP last year and mine came with the shellplate index mis-timed. I was having a very similar issue - the shell plate wouldn't quite index far enough and the primer wouldn't push up into the pocket. It took me a little bit to get them tweaked just right, but it sounds like you've been through that. I certainly didn't spend hours on getting it adjusted.

The other thing, as others said, is to make sure you've really cleaned the primer slide, the track for the primer slide, and the primer seat punch really well and the dry lube it very heavily. I use the Hornady One Shot stuff that they recommend and it's actually a very impressive product. If the primer slide and track isn't smooth and lubed, I've noticed a tendency to hang on returning on the down stroke with the new primer.

I've found Hornady's customer service to be outstanding and would call them first. They quickly and without questions replaced a batch of mis-cut lock bushing that required pliers to get in and out. Personally, I would advise against sanding down the primer track as a solution until you've talked to the factory. You could just have an lemon unit and I'm sure they'll make it right.

I always leave the white rod in FWIW to put pressure on the primers in the tube.
    I'll put money on the fact that though the OP has adjusted the pawls, they are still not right!
    I was having the same issues and the index "seemed" right, but it was off by a hair.
    I contacted Hornady and the guy walked me through the steps I thought I'd done.
    A knats nut hair adjustment and all was well in the world,lol
    The index system on the LnL relies on the pawls being spot on AND you pulling that lever properly, if you are worried it won't index or prime, then I assure you, you are not pulling the handle properly(vicious circle)
    Once you get the hang of it, and the thing is adjusted, it will sing to you as you work

(Bucks County)

Started loading with a Lock-N-Load, and have had nothing but problems with the priming. I am Loading 45 ACP and hand feeding the cases & bullets and using the standard primer tube. Allot of the time the primer will not feed into the primer slide. . . .
    If a primer isn't feeding into the primer shuttle, the shuttle is not being pulled back enough to reach the primer tube. Either the primer cam arm has come out of its spring-loaded pocket, or the cam arm needs to be adjusted so that the shuttle DOES reach the primer tube.

Adjust it by loosening the screw holding the plastic arm at the top of the cam arm, and slide it away from the press. Make sure the shuttle now reaches the primer tube and gets a primer every time.

. . . Even when it does, the shell plate is not in perfect alignment such that the primer punch seats the primer. . . .
    The only things that affect shell plate alignment are (a) maladjusted pawls, (b) a defective part, or (c) a loose shell plate. If following the manual doesn't help get the pawls adjusted properly, call Hornady while at the press and a tech will walk you throught it. If he can't walk you through it, he will replace the defective part whether its the specific shell plate you are using or the lower assembly of the press.

In any case, put a washer and a lock washer on the bolt that holds the shell plate down. This way you won't have to tighten that screw as much to guarantee the shell plate is secure and doesn't loosen in action.

. . . . Before using the press I fully dismantled and cleaned with the one-shot lubricant per the instructions.
    Most folks know who have trouble do make sure the primer shuttle and its slot are both smooth, both are kept clean, and both are lubed with OneShot residue. What's often missed is the primer punch itself.

Remove the primer punch from under the ram. Clean it inside and out thoroughly. Make sure it functions smoothly, and as you work it by hand (IMPORTANT) make sure the primer ram itself ALWAYS returns smoothly all the way (absolutely flush) into its hole. Then re-install it and TIGHTEN securely.

If not, a primer that does make it into the primer shuttle may tip and not get shoved into a case.

If a primer for whatever reason does not get into a case it will also tip as the shuttle is drawn back, especially when the press is operated slowly. The shuttle will then jam and the primer cam rod will be forced out of its pocket. Then the primer system doesn't work at all.

For the pawl adjustment, test if you have the same problem with a different shell plate (if you can). If you can't get the pawls adjusted following the manual, call them while at the press and they will walk you through a complete reset (including which way the pawls face), and determine if there's a defective part.

Make sure you have the correct primer punch installed, as well as the correct primer tube and primers.

(Monroe County)

Lots of great advice. I'll add, make sure your press is solidly mounted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast