Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Donate/Gift/Sale of handgun to brother in Ohio

I understand that you can sell a handgun to a family member within PA with no PICS check or transfer.

If my brother lives in Ohio, I understand that if I wanted to sell him a pistol, then I would have to go thru Federal Laws, and use an FFL within his state. (ohio)

But what happens if he comes to PA, then I 'sell' him the handgun, and then takes it back to Ohio?

Is that legit, or does it still have to go thru an FFL within his home state?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Donate/Gift/Sale of handgun to brother in Ohio

The gun has to go through a OH FFL.

The transfer is still between residents of two different states even if he comes to PA.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

ok thanks. That blows, since he'd have to pay the FFL so he could borrow it for six months, and then i'd have to pay a PA FFL to get it back. He just wants to check out a gun i shoot rarely to see if he likes it enough to buy his own.

Too bad the NSA lurks on here or i'd say that i sold it to him six months ago before he moved.

(Montgomery County)

Handgun sale to a sibling would still had to have gone through a FFL. Only transfers between your child, parent, grandparent, and spouse are exempt.

Although I believe if you both had your LTCF he could have borrowed it if still in state. I think your only options are to do the paperwork, or have a range day next time he visits.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Handgun sale to a sibling would still had to have gone through a FFL. Only transfers between your child, parent, grandparent, and spouse are exempt.

Although I believe if you both had your LTCF he could have borrowed it if still in state. I think your only options are to do the paperwork, or have a range day next time he visits.
    Since the sibling is now a resident of another state the only lawful allowance for loans is for sporting purposes only. And the only activity that the fedz legally view as "sporting activity" is hunting. ....there might be some leanings by the fedz for sanctioned shooting events - but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, it wouldn't matter if he lived in PA, CA, or MA... the "family thing" does not include siblings.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yeah, it wouldn't matter if he lived in PA, CA, or MA... the "family thing" does not include siblings.

Unless you marry them........ Dot dot dot .... Some more dots

Lol

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The gun has to go through a OH FFL. The transfer is still between residents of two different states even if he comes to PA.
    This is correct.

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30][/I]
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)