Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Metal guide rod for Beretta 92A1?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Sometimes you cant go by what manufacturers say because they want you to pay for a "specialized" product that is virtually the same...
    While I agree with you I've now read from multiple sources (Wolff, Beretta, Brownell's, even Bedair that cruzans mentioned above) that the "standard" rods made for the 92FS do not fit the 92A1. I'm almost tempted to buy one anyway and see what happens but "seeing what happens" isn't smart in regard to firearms. I was under the impression that the FS and A1 were largely identical so I don't really understand why it wouldn't fit. From what I'm reading I'm thinking the plastic captive system has something to do with it because, I believe, when the slide comes back it is pulling a busing that rides on the rod with it rather than just the spring.

The whole reason why I want to replace it is 1) last time I cleaned it I noticed my plastic rod had a bit of a bend to it and 2) my cousin has a 96A1 and he accidentally dropped his rod and the plastic broke. He sent his rod out to have one machined for him (I'm thinking he may have used Bedair).

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I replace most plastic guiderods with ss ones. I have used Bedair Machine Works - great work and great customer service. They do have Beretta http://guiderod.com/
    Thanks for the tip. Even they say the 92 rod doesn't work for the 92A1. I'm not in love with having to send out my guide rod to have another one made though and I also don't really like having a stainless rod in a black gun though I guess I could live with it. I'm anal with stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Specnic75 View Post
    http://www.brownells.com/schematics/...aspx#r19sid929

I always use brownells and am never disappointed. Upgraded all the polymer parts on my 92FS. It makes quite a difference.
    Brownell's was my first stop and I almost bought the Wolff rod from then until I read that it was not for the 92A1.

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    If you are looking to upgrade, check out the EFK guide rods/springs.
    I don't have one...yet...but they look really nice!
    I checked out their site and I am really liking them. They have two different options. A standard captive unit specifically for the 92A1 (they have separate models for the FS and A1 so there really must be a difference) and a dual action (twin spring) recoil reducing one. I'm really liking that one and will probably place my order soon.

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/beretta-taurus.html

(Montgomery County)

I know this is an older topic but I wanted to share some news. I never did get around to ordering a metal guide rod from one of the previously mentioned companies. I'll have to admit that some poor reviews I found online from EFK Firedragon turned me off to them.

Well I just read on The Firearms Blog last week that Wilson Combat is now offering custom work and accessories for Beretta 92 series firearms and they offer a fluted, steel guide rod with black melonite finish that they say "Will retrofit to 92A1/96A1 and the 90-TWO with new 92 recoil spring sold separately." I think Wilson is a bit more well known and trusted than some of the others mentioned here so when I do by one it'll probably be from them. The best part is that it seems decently priced to me: $21.95 for the rod and $7.95 for the spring.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

My 92D has a steel guide rod. After my Glock experience, I would not want a plastic guide rod because the Glock's broke in twain after about 50 rounds.

sprinco guide rod

(Mercer County)

I dropped a Captured all metal guide rod in my new 92A1 from Beretta, (the parts and the gun). So far I like the smooth action and the durability.

(Allegheny County)

This might be the record for necro-thread revival. Steve Bedair of guiderod.com passed away 4 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12