Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Desert Eagle .50 Stovepiping?

So, I've been considering purchasing a DE .50 for a little while now and it just so happens that a friend of mine has one and wants to sell it. However, at this current point in time he says he needs to get it fixed because it keeps stovepiping and he is getting it fixed before he sells it; no complaint here regarding that.

My question here is: Is this something that DE owners have experienced and, is it a minor or major problem? After he gets it fixed would you say the problem will be fixed and the gun be reliable? Could the problem be something simple like the magazines? I have no experience with DE's so I would like to have some idea of what I may be going on. You can never do too much research prior to a purchase, ya know..

I really don't want to buy something if it's going to be more of a problem rather than a pleasure. I do trust him and don't think he'd sell it to me if he thought the gun was not going to function properly.

Let me say thanks and I appreciate any and all responses/help here.
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Desert Eagle .50 Stovepiping?

Are you sure it's not user induced failure? Happens a lot with the big guns.

The very first time I shot one I kept bumping the slide stop with my thumb under recoil.

If your friend knows for sure something is wrong with the gun you could always call Magnum Research.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Stove pipes come from a number of things such as ammo no having enough charge (too weak), recoil spring too stiff, wrist too limp, and even faulty ejectors/extractors. If you go one thing at a time, they can generally be sorted out 100% of the time.

I worked on a friend's 24/7 Pro some time ago and his stove piped, but was caused from none of the above. There was just a bit of the steel reinforced frame protruding into the path of part of the slide and the slide was catching it. After I figured out what it was, I simply filed that bit, flush, and it didn't stove pipe, anymore. I hated it because I talked him into buying it. Oh well, no harm, no foul.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Washington County)

Hmmm, that's interesting. I have no idea if the problem could be user induced or not on his end. I do remember him saying he needed a spring or something a while ago. Maybe it's an issue with the recoil spring/guide rod? I'm not sure. He's taking it back to where he got it and they're going to look at it.

I just don't want to buy something that could end up being a problem. I'll have to wait and see what happens.

can you shoot it before you buy it? you may not like the recoil, or it may not stovepipe for you. limpwristing on a DE is easy to do most people that shoot mine have that problem

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Are you sure it's not user induced failure? Happens a lot with the big guns.

The very first time I shot one I kept bumping the slide stop with my thumb under recoil.

If your friend knows for sure something is wrong with the gun you could always call Magnum Research.
    That is interesting, but it may not be the case since he's had the gun for quite a few years and I don't recall him having the problem in the past. I'l find out what's going on after he takes it to the shop where he bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    can you shoot it before you buy it? you may not like the recoil, or it may not stovepipe for you. limpwristing on a DE is easy to do most people that shoot mine have that problem
    Yes, I can and will shoot it before I make the decision of buying it or not. Obviously I'd have to put a few rounds downrange to get a feel for it, and hopefully I like it. I love how they look and with any luck, shooting it will put a smile on my face.
    Last edited by TheGhost27; December 22nd, 2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo

(Blair County)

i would price shells . 50 ae are also hard to find . you change springs on de at certain round counts . i would get the 44 barrel if i was you . there were several different version the last you can change from 50 to 44 with just a barrel and mag change . the only malfunctions i have had are the slide going into battery when dirty . also cdnn has good prices on mags
    Last edited by mmi; December 22nd, 2013 at 10:47 PM.

(Bucks County)

When I shot a DE I had a bunch of stovepipes and every one was my fault.

If I did not lock my arms and lean into the shot, it would stovepipe.

(Monroe County)

[QUOTE=TheGhost27;2592895]Hmmm, that's interesting. I have no idea if the problem could be user induced or not on his end. I do remember him saying he needed a spring or something a while ago. Maybe it's an issue with the recoil spring/guide rod? I'm not sure. He's taking it back to where he got it and they're going to look at it.

I just don't want to buy something that could end up being a problem. I'll have to wait and see what happens.[/ It doesnt matter, if it's not one thing it's the other, the DEsert EAgle was always a problem Gun, you will always be fixing stuff on it just like a Volkswagen, get used to it.
    Just dont carry it for self defense. Fun at the range? Yes , Rread the horror stories on Youtube about the DE., especially the ones in .44 mag.QUOTE]

(Washington County)

[QUOTE=mrnyman;2595332]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGhost27 View Post
    Hmmm, that's interesting. I have no idea if the problem could be user induced or not on his end. I do remember him saying he needed a spring or something a while ago. Maybe it's an issue with the recoil spring/guide rod? I'm not sure. He's taking it back to where he got it and they're going to look at it.

I just don't want to buy something that could end up being a problem. I'll have to wait and see what happens.[/ It doesnt matter, if it's not one thing it's the other, the DEsert EAgle was always a problem Gun, you will always be fixing stuff on it just like a Volkswagen, get used to it.
    Just dont carry it for self defense. Fun at the range? Yes , Rread the horror stories on Youtube about the DE., especially the ones in .44 mag.QUOTE]
    That's what I don't want to get into, and the reason for this thread/question. If it can be fixed and eliminate the problem, and I like how it shoots I would definitely consider this. BUT, I'm going to keep doing research and look for the things you said. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast