Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Safe to Eat Game Killed With Lead Bird Shot?

I got a couple of squirrels yesterday with lead bird shot that I cleaned and plan to eat but I want to know if squirrels/birds/etc. killed with lead bird shot are safe to eat or if I need to go buy some non-toxic shot for today.

thanks for the help

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Safe to Eat Game Killed With Lead Bird Shot?

I never seen anyone die from lead from hunting. Clean up the meat as best as possible and look for pellets as you go. Squirrel stew yum.

Never good to ingest lead in any form but most game is killed with lead. Best to pick the pellets out. It is easy to see the pellets and their entry points. In the case of squirrel, most pellets will pass through. Those that don't usually stop just under the skin on the exit side.

Safe to eat, just pick the pellets out. I cooked two quail for my dog. I found some pellets, picked them right out.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    I got a couple of squirrels yesterday with lead bird shot that I cleaned and plan to eat but I want to know if squirrels/birds/etc. killed with lead bird shot are safe to eat or if I need to go buy some non-toxic shot for today.

thanks for the help
    Seriously!???

THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANYONE WITH LEAD POISONING FROM GAME AND LEAD SHOT EVER!!!

NOW DON'T EAT THE SHOT.

This entire story was cooked up by a man claiming to be a professor who was not and printed an article.

Lead occurs naturally in our environment.

YES, there were issues in wet lands with birds eating the shot thinking they were rocks but even that study is on going.

THE ENTIRE MOVEMENT TO BAN LEAD IS BULLSHIT!!!

Do some Googling and review your sources.

(Chester County)

there is no question that lead is toxic to humans and animals. i just want to know if the trace amounts left behind after removing the shot from the carcass is enough to make you sick or cause health problems over a long period of time eating lead shot killed game.

there is no question that lead is toxic to humans and animals. i just want to know if the trace amounts left behind after removing the shot from the carcass is enough to make you sick or cause health problems over a long period of time eating lead shot killed game.
    I've been eating game animals killed with lead since 1982. I am now balding, overweight, out of shape, have loss of memory, loss of correct spelling ability, loss of manual dexterity, erectile dysfunction, liver and blood tests are abnormal, and I see multiple doctors weekly.

I attribute all the above to eating game killed with lead. In fact, to ensure I am correct, I recently shot and harvested a 650 cow elk with lead shot.

CL

(Wayne County)

Hey Customloaded and I thought I was a mess.

(Cambria County)

The biggest contributor of lead to health problems is the dramatic reduction in the usefulness of running since lead bullets came out. Heart disease and other such things are our societies biggest killers.

thanks for the help
    I'm going to second what others are saying. As long as you are not eating the pellets themselves, I would not worry about it or give it a second thought.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast