Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Safe to Eat Game Killed With Lead Bird Shot?

Being a NJ prisoner, every deer I have shot is killed for 00 lead pellets. Granted their a lot easier to dig out and avoid biting So far no lead poisoning.

Much more worried about the exposure from lots of shooting and handling steel targets.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    I've been eating game animals killed with lead since 1982. I am now balding, overweight, out of shape, have loss of memory, loss of correct spelling ability, loss of manual dexterity, erectile dysfunction, liver and blood tests are abnormal, and I see multiple doctors weekly.

I attribute all the above to eating game killed with lead. In fact, to ensure I am correct, I recently shot and harvested a 650 cow elk with lead shot.

CL
    Custom is no longer loaded

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Steel shot has it's own set of problems comparing it to lead shot. For one, you won't break a tooth if you bite into a lead pellet, second steel rusts and if you get steel shot ammo wet and the cases aren't properly sealed the steel shot can rust together and become a dangerous steel slug that will bulge your barrel if not rupture it. A basic way to test your steel shot to see if it's loose inside the shell is to shake it and listen for it to rattle a bit. That's not a 100% way to determine whether the ammo is safe to use, is just an indicator. If you hunt ducks or geese near water and get your ammo wet think about your options is all I'm sayin'. Kent Tungsten Matrix is a far better solution for waterfowlers but upland hunters can use steel taking into consideration the problems I have already mentioned.
    Thanks for the input Jennifer. I will be certain to check my steel shot before using.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234