Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Safe to Eat Game Killed With Lead Bird Shot?

You should be washing and cleaning the meat well before cooking so it is a non issue. Besides that there are far more metal toxins in your store bought meat than any game you get and would be far cleaner even if trace amounts were present.

In the 60s all there was, was lead shot. My Dad shot them, my Mother cleaned them.
    Us kids never found a pellet.
    A 430 grains of lead going 1450fps will penetrate 8ft 6in of meat @ 100 yards

I did the same last year, shotgun pellets were a PIA.
    this year I'm using my bolt action .22 for squirrels.

(Berks County)

I'm still here from my Pheasant so I guess it is okay.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    I never seen anyone die from lead from hunting. Clean up the meat as best as possible and look for pellets as you go. Squirrel stew yum.
    I have ! Hunters mistakenly shoot other hunters at times and they die from the lead bullet,lol.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    I've been eating game animals killed with lead since 1982. I am now balding, overweight, out of shape, have loss of memory, loss of correct spelling ability, loss of manual dexterity, erectile dysfunction, liver and blood tests are abnormal, and I see multiple doctors weekly.

I attribute all the above to eating game killed with lead. In fact, to ensure I am correct, I recently shot and harvested a 650 cow elk with lead shot.

CL
    I've been eating paint chips for 6 decades, and theres nothing wrong with me. Nothing that cant be fixed by washing my system out with Draino.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    I got a couple of squirrels yesterday with lead bird shot that I cleaned and plan to eat but I want to know if squirrels/birds/etc. killed with lead bird shot are safe to eat or if I need to go buy some non-toxic shot for today.

thanks for the help
    The short answer is "No. Even if you swallow a pellet or two, you won't die". You are more likely, as has been pointed out, to break a tooth.

The long answer is the effects of lead are cumulative and take a while to become apparent in humans, but the concentration of lead required to become harmful is quite low. Long term lead exposure will harm the liver and kidneys. Most hunters will never be exposed to that much lead. That comes from exposure to lead paint or lead-based solder in plumbing. In the short term, however, lead exposure does effect brain function and there are numerous studies supporting the idea that loss of intellectual capacity comes from even low levels of exposure. Lead takes a long time to be purged from the body, which is why it accumulates so readily.

The best thing for you to do, if you use lead shot, is to make sure that you remove all of the pellets or cut out the meat damaged by the bullet, since the bullet may fragment. Again it won't kill you, but it doesn't take much to make a noticable impact either. One thing you can do is to "candle" the meat with a strong flashlight from behind to look for any shadows of remaining pellets/fragments.

Despite the assertion (in all caps, no less) that the lead ban is bullshit, I can assure you that it is not. Having personally performed necropsies on dead waterfowl in the '80s in wildlife disease classes, I've seen firsthand the toxic effects of lead. A small amount of lead won't hurt a 200 lb. adult. But take that same amount of lead and feed it to a 2 lb. duck or an 8 lb. eagle and the toxicity changes. Add to that that birds, not having teeth, have an organ called the crol that grinds the food before reaching the stomach. In a sense, chewing it. But, unlike humans, birds can't spit out shot. It gets ground up with the stones that they swallow to do the grinding. That's why you see birds feeding along the sides of the road or in the middle of dirt roads. They are gathering stones. As the lead is ground up, it becomes more toxic. Smaller pieces mean more surface area. More surface area means more lead is dissolved and the higher the exposure. It only takes a few pellets to really do a number on something small like a blue winged teal.

As a sportsman and a conservationist, I'm not rushing out and buying all new ammo. Because I have a lot. But, as I run out, I am slowly trying to replace what I use for hunting with non-toxic shot (except for waterfowling where non-toxic shot is required). I'm really not that worried about what I use for target practice either. But if I'm going to shoot at game, which may get away, I at least want to try to do what I can to avoid poisoning another animal.that may feed on the carcass. Considering that the average hunter makes a box of 20 rounds last for several hears of hunting, the overall cost of non-lead ammo, spread out over that time is less than you'll spend on coffee on the way to hunt.

Just something to think about. But, despite what you may hear to the contrary, it isn't an attempt to "backdoor" gun control through banning ammo.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Erie County)

I don't use lead for environmental reasons.

Where does all the shot that doesn't hit the target go?

Into the land/water. This is why you can't use lead shot in states like Delaware.

I use steel shot for hunting. Easy enough to get.

(Chester County)

Steel shot has it's own set of problems comparing it to lead shot. For one, you won't break a tooth if you bite into a lead pellet, second steel rusts and if you get steel shot ammo wet and the cases aren't properly sealed the steel shot can rust together and become a dangerous steel slug that will bulge your barrel if not rupture it. A basic way to test your steel shot to see if it's loose inside the shell is to shake it and listen for it to rattle a bit. That's not a 100% way to determine whether the ammo is safe to use, is just an indicator. If you hunt ducks or geese near water and get your ammo wet think about your options is all I'm sayin'. Kent Tungsten Matrix is a far better solution for waterfowlers but upland hunters can use steel taking into consideration the problems I have already mentioned.
    Last edited by JenniferG; February 4th, 2020 at 06:59 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Sure it's safe.
    Drinking the water , breathing the air and taking medicines from china is what's going to kill you anyhow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast