Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default cold weather ???

a couple weeks ago my family and i went to an indoor waterpark. the xds45 was left in the car but i took all the ammo out of it and took it in with me. when we came out to the car on a very cold day after 6-7 hours when i attempted to chamber a round the slide stuck in the back position. vafter a tap on the rear o the slide it released and moved slowly forward haging up just out of battery. another push with my thumb locked it into battery and it appeared to be fine after that.

I thought it was an oil issue so i took it home tore it down cleaned it lubed it and took it out shoothing a couple days later. it worked perfectly. it had me concerned though so i locked it in my shed overnigh with no ammo in it again. I attempted to chamber a round in the morning with the same results.

I am not using any fancy lube just some clp that i bought at walmart. I also locked my wifes xds9 in the same shed this week with absolutely different results. it snapped back into battery perfectly,

The xds45 is around the 300 round mark now and has been otbherwise trouble free. it has been through the upgrade from SA. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Smile Re: cold weather ???

Could have been a piece of dirt ! Nervertheless,Cold metal contracts while warm metal expands depending on the metalurgy,BUT not enough to cause the issue you experienced,like I said most likley some dirt found its way into the gun,I would not worry too much unless it is a constant issue.

(York County)

Default Re: cold weather ???

CLP may not be ideal under subfreezing temperatures? There may be better lubes than CLP, especially in extreme conditions.
    You mentioned the round count on your .45, what is the approximate count on the 9mm?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Tioga County)

My initial thought is it may have something to do with the different thermal expansion coefficients of steel and polymer. Polymers, even reinforced or filled, will move almost twice as much as steel for a given temperature change. The greater the temperature change, the greater the absolute movement. Any latent stresses in the polymer from forming will just magnify the distortion.

I realize the slide rides on a set of steel guides, but I'm thinking the frame may be moving a bit and throwing things out of alignment. The tolerances are, or should be, pretty close.

Just a thought.

--Phil

I don't think it's just a piece of dirt. There could be an issue with the spring tolerances to the guide being too tight when it gets cold.. A gun should work in cold the same as when it's warm. If you were using grease for the slide then I would look there but CLP should be just fine in any weather in PA.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I don't think it's just a piece of dirt. There could be an issue with the spring tolerances to the guide being too tight when it gets cold.. A gun should work in cold the same as when it's warm. If you were using grease for the slide then I would look there but CLP should be just fine in any weather in PA.
    I would think so to, ordinarily. CLP is pretty lightweight at room temps. But what's it like at 8 degrees for several hours?

A couple months ago I treated my back door and my car doors to a shot of WD-40. Pretty thin stuff, right? Big mistake. Now that the temps are below freezing, all the locks treated with WD-40 are extremely stiff and feel gummy, while all untreated locks are fine. Food for thought.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Centre County)

I recommend you try some of the more designer gun lubes like Militec or Frog Lube or Slip 2000.

Hell, a quality full synthetic motor oil is probably one of the best deals in firearms lube for $5 a quart…..
    Last edited by FLICK; December 20th, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Warren County)

the roundcount on the 9mm is around 450 or so but most of those were pre-recall. the 9mm was cleaned by me with the same clp.

if it would have only done it once it wouldn't be a problem just one of those unexplained glitches but when i could replicate he problem that made me a little concerned.

(Westmoreland County)

I wouldn't use WD-40 on a constipated cat. WD-40 will gum up on you at some point in time. Just give it a chance.

Dave

(Franklin County)

What's with you guys and lubing your carry guns? There was a recent thread on dirt in carry guns and the lube thing was brought up. I had no idea people were carrying guns "wet".
    When shooting at the range, by all means slather it up but when you're done, clean it and wipe the excess cleaner and lube off to carry it. Every so often just rub the lube on and wipe it all off, that should be enough to inhibit corrosion.
    Any modern quality firearm should function fine through a couple magazines with a minimum of lube without hurting anything, that's all you need for a defensive handgun. Take it to the range dry and fire through a couple mags, I think you'll find it works just fine.
    Coincidently I was considering this the other day so I took my LCP to the range when it was super cold the other morning to make sure she works in the cold. I let it lay on the bench for awhile before loading up a couple mags and shot about 25 rounds throught it just the way I carry it, dry. She ran fine.
    Last edited by ray h; December 20th, 2013 at 10:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast