Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Muzzleloader loads for a 1/48 50 caliber

I have a 54 caliber renegade with a LR lock. It only shoots one sabot well, and the ball with 90 grains. Certainly it is the most sensitive arm I have ever shot.

Anyway I was thinking of switching to a RMC Accusport 50 caliber with a 1-48 twist green mountain barrel and LR lock. I bought the 50 caliber years ago when RMC was changing owners, and I was lucky to get last one produced that had the set triggers. I can't find any record that I shot this one, so I an starting from scratch. I have a bunch of sabots for it and naturally the 180 grain ball. Any charges, or recommendations for sabots?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Muzzleloader loads for a 1/48 50 caliber

The load I worked up last year for my rifle was 80 grains of 3F with a .490 round ball and a .015 lubed patch.

(Lawrence County)

I have a Thompson Hawken with a 1:48 twist and the best load I found is exactly what Steve is shooting, patched roundball with 80 grains of goex fffg. I've never found a sabot that will shoot well out of my flintlock. From what I've read 1:48 is too slow for sabots. Forgot to add, when I weighed my charge what was supposedly 80 grains on my powder measure weighed 73 grains on a scale. Not sure which one to believe, probably the scale since the powder measure is based on volume and the weight would be different with powders of different sizes. So basically I'd shoot a few at 70 and 80 based on however you measure your powder and see what works best.
    Last edited by jerkin; December 19th, 2013 at 12:35 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I have a Thompson Hawken with a 1:48 twist and the best load I found is exactly what Steve is shooting, patched roundball with 80 grains of goex fffg. I've never found a sabot that will shoot well out of my flintlock. From what I've read 1:48 is too slow for sabots. Forgot to add, when I weighed my charge what was supposedly 80 grains on my powder measure weighed 73 grains on a scale. Not sure which one to believe, probably the scale since the powder measure is based on volume and the weight would be different with powders of different sizes. So basically I'd shoot a few at 70 and 80 based on however you measure your powder and see what works best.
    Black is always measured by volume!

My bro in law uses 80grn FFFg in his 50 cal T/C hawken too!

A 48 twist is compromise. A good sabot barrel is 28 to 32 twist. A round ball barrel should be 125% of the caliber, so a 50 should be about a 62 twist. The slower the twist the hotter you have to load it (for roundballs) Many people have made 48 twist barrels shoot very well. Keep experimenting. Try smaller balls with thicker patches. Try different lubes too. Sometimes the smallest thing will make a difference.

Bill

(Lancaster County)

I am also trying to remember what load I used last time I shot mine 2 years ago. I have a 1/48" twist PA pellet, but I don't use pellet powders or sabots.

I use loose powder and Hornady conicals. I think I used 85gn of FFg, but I'm going to have to go play around a little this weekend or next week to verify.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    The load I worked up last year for my rifle was 80 grains of 3F with a .490 round ball and a .015 lubed patch.
    Geeze, how do you get that sucker in there? I running a Hornady .490" and Oxyoke prelubed .010" and it's pretty snug for hunting. After a few shots, it needs a solvent patch or a tree to bump it home. How tight is your .015" patch to seat?

(Monroe County)

Going out today to work up some loads my hawken rifle. I'm going to start around 70gr of ffg and see from there what it likes with .015 patch and .490 ball. I figure it will be between 70 and 90 for the sweet spot.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Somerset County)

Traditions Pa. pellet flintlock, same SWC that I load in the 44 mag.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    Geeze, how do you get that sucker in there? I running a Hornady .490" and Oxyoke prelubed .010" and it's pretty snug for hunting. After a few shots, it needs a solvent patch or a tree to bump it home. How tight is your .015" patch to seat?
    I actually shoot an old TC Penna Hunter with .490 balls and .018 pillow ticking patches. A well seasoned bore helps. NO SOLVENT ever! Good shooting.
    Jules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast