Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default P238 .380 SAS Queston

Does the Sig P238 .380 SAS have a decocker?

Default Re: P238 .380 SAS Queston

It's a single action with a safety, like a 1911. No decocker.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    It's a single action with a safety, like a 1911. No decocker.
    So in order to decock it, after deciding not to shoot, you have to rely on carefully putting the hammer down correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    So in order to decock it, after deciding not to shoot, you have to rely on carefully putting the hammer down correct?
    If you want to decock it, then yes, that would be the procedure; but I think they're designed to be carried Condition 1, like 1911's. Cocked & Locked.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    If you want to decock it, then yes, that would be the procedure; but I think they're designed to be carried Condition 1, like 1911's. Cocked & Locked.
    ^^^this^^^

They are basically a 1911 design.

Hokkmike Guest

So, what you are saying is that they can be decocked with the safe on?

I apologize for my lack of understanding.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    So, what you are saying is that they can be decocked with the safe on?

I apologize for my lack of understanding.
    Basically with a SA pistol you insert mag. rack and engage the thumb safety. This is condition 1 or cocked and locked. This is my and most people who carry a 1911 design variants way to carry. You do not lower the hammer on a loaded chamber to carry. To clear the gun you drop the mag. Disengage the thumb safety (do not put your booger hook any where near the bang switch) and clear the chamber. Then lower the hammer on a empty chamber. I try to avoid lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber at all. There is really no reason to and it is not safe with some SA pistols to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber as they can fire if the hammer is struck hard enough. Being a modern design the p238 probably has an inertial firing pin and would not go off this way, but I personally do not know enough about the design to tell you for sure.

The only other absolutly safe way to carry a 1911 design is condition 3 or mag inserted without a round in the chamber. I don't carry pistols without a round in the chamber so I wouldn't do this but it would be safe.

(Lycoming County)

Here is a picture of my Star in it's carry holster condition 1. This is the exact way that I carry this pistol. This pistol does not have an inertial firing pin and could discharge if the hammer were lowered on a loaded chamber and dropped on the hammer. This particular gun has a magazine safety so the hammer will not function once the magazine.is removed from the gun. Lots of people do not like this feature because the mags will not drop free and the gun is basically useless with out the mag inserted. I actually like this feature because when you remove the mag you can safely clear the chamber without worrying about an ND because the hammer is frozn in place.

Hokkmike Guest

R L Suehr - would it be your opinion that a DAO pistol would be better for pocket carry?

(Chester County)

The 238 does not have a decocker as stated earlier. However it will let you rack the slide with the safety on unlike a 1911. The hammer however can only be pulled back with the safety off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast