Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Is a MD resident able to transport to target shoot in PA?

Someone I know who lives in MD wishes to bring their handgun to PA to target shoot. I did some searches and don't see what I'm looking for.

- No MD CCP or PA non resident LTCF is possessed by this person

I was reading about FOPA and I understand that the start and end of the destination has to be exempted. Going to a range in MD or PA while separate and locked is allowed in either state. But it isn't clear to me if that only applies to residents? or crossing state lines. If it is permissible, then once they are in PA are they ONLY able to go to the range? Are they not able to stop anywhere else?

I appreciate any assistance.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Is a MD resident able to transport to target shoot in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by KLiQ View Post
    Someone I know who lives in MD wishes to bring their handgun to PA to target shoot. I did some searches and don't see what I'm looking for.

I was reading about FOPA and I understand that the start and end of the destination has to be exempted. Going to a range in MD or PA while separate and locked is allowed in either state. But it isn't clear to me if that only applies to residents? or crossing state lines. If it is permissible, then once they are in PA are they ONLY able to go to the range? Are they not able to stop anywhere else?

FOPA doesn't apply between 2 states... only to a state(s) "in between".

You need to consider state law. PA has an exception for unloaded travel directly to/from ranges like MD does if that is correct.

IANAL... If you drove directly to a range in PA and directly back,... unloaded you'd be legal IMO

I'd print out both state laws and keep with you IN CASE of pullover
    NOT A LAWYER

(Jefferson County)

PA law is ok so long as it is a direct trip to and from.

The only concern is MD law. ...which I know very little about.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Why doesn't FOPA apply?
    He will be transporting from one "place" he can legally possess the firearm (his residence in MD) to another "place" (a range in PA) where he can legally possess the firearm.
    I know the argument has been made that the meaning of "place" is state but that becomes stupid when you think about people who live in places like DC, NYC or NJ, they would never be able to leave the state (or district) with their guns.
    Besides that, both states say he can transport from his residence to a range. I don't recall if they specify that the range or the residence has to be in the same state.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Why doesn't FOPA apply?
    He will be transporting from one "place" he can legally possess the firearm (his residence in MD) to another "place" (a range in PA) where he can legally possess the firearm.
    I know the argument has been made that the meaning of "place" is state but that becomes stupid when you think about people who live in places like DC, NYC or NJ, they would never be able to leave the state (or district) with their guns.
    Besides that, both states say he can transport from his residence to a range. I don't recall if they specify that the range or the residence has to be in the same state.
    Plenty of info and debating on here to search and review on both sides of the topic.

(Jefferson County)

Why doesn't FOPA apply?
    For the provision to get passed the intent was formulated to protect only against intermediate states, not contiguous states.

The courts have also backed up this application of FOPA via case law.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

It was stupid that they couldn't leave the state with their guns before FOPA, right?

Well, nothing has changed. FOPA was not intended to set DC, NJ, and NYC free from their own state laws.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by KLiQ View Post

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    PA law is ok so long as it is a direct trip to and from.

The only concern is MD law. ...which I know very little about.
    ^This. For Maryland law on this matter, search via Google for "MD-204". (but without the quotation marks).

Both MD and PA allow unloaded transport to/from a range, and neither state restricts folks from out-of-state.

He is good to go. In the same vein you could also review MD-204 and transport unloaded to a Maryland range.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    FOPA was not intended to set DC, NJ, and NYC free from their own state laws.
    Ahhh, yes it was, it says so specifically.
    "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof".

For this instance FOPA doesn't matter anyway because both states allow transport to and from the range.

(Northampton County)

Ahhh, yes it was, it says so specifically.
    "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof".

For this instance FOPA doesn't matter anyway because both states allow transport to and from the range.
    No it wasn't.

It was intended to protect travelers passing through states with such gun laws, and the only case law (while scant) recognizes that. And, the way the law was developed and negotiated makes it clear as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast