Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Coyote Problem Areas?

I've heard recently that Pennsy's problem with coyotes killing fawns, livestock, and domesticated animals has gotten worse in the past few years.

Are there any particular problem areas within the state?

Coyote hunting seems like a good way to stay frosty in the "off" season, and provides a service to the deer population and domestic critters...

I'm looking particularly for areas in Central (north to south borders), and eastern PA. I'm in south eastern PA, so the closer, the better.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Coyote Problem Areas?

I think they are a problem all over ....I know every year the fellows take several off my farm ....they have yet to bother my chickens and such, but you know they are around.

You shouldn't have any problems by you finding a place to let you hunt them.

(Washington County)

We own a farm in Washington County (SW PA) and coyote population has actually declined in the past 10 years since the locals became more aggressive in weeding out the issue. I have shot two in the past several years inside my animal pastures and a friend took one during archery season just last month.

Attached is a pic of my latest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Fayette County)

Let me know if you need help! My buddy wants to try out his Mossberg MVP! We have been trying to call some here in Fayettenam, but have yet to see one when I have a rifle in hand.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by robert slabaugh View Post
    Let me know if you need help! My buddy wants to try out his Mossberg MVP! We have been trying to call some here in Fayettenam, but have yet to see one when I have a rifle in hand.
    You're only an hour away, so that's pretty close. Problem with coyotes is this, you will hear them every night for a week and then bamm they disappear for a weeks or even a month, then bamm they are back again. Two years ago I was painting my house and I look behind me and there is a big coyote just watching me from about 75 yards away. He had to be a hybrid because of his size and he was oddly dark colored, so I casually walk to the door and grab my trusty Rem 700 in 308 but of course he was gone by the time I got outside, and that's how they are. Actually, I have never seen one in the fields, then had the time to grabbed a gun from the house and shoot it. It was always me out in the pasture trying to shoot groundhogs and I see a coyote scouting out the farm animals and not paying attention to the upper hay pasture where I sit, and I can take my time and tag it.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Fayette County)

Thanks for the info. Used to see coyotes and javelina in the neighborhood I lived in Tucson, more than in the desert. I have noticed that the local Pa. coyotes are bigger than the southwestern one are. I would hate to see them emboldened to start on kids and dogs. I have seen them scale 8 ft. fences in Tucson to get at Muffy and Fluffy. Not good.

(Tioga County)

Oh yeah we got them up here in Tioga County. About 2 years ago there was a pack that came VERY close to the house at night. Well, I started hearing booms in the middle of the night and the problem went away. I heard through the rumor mill that local farmers were taking care of the problem.

Earlier this year in our popular local Mountain Home magazine there was a cover story on the coyote and the gist I got was the coyotes were these tragically misunderstood gentle and caring creatures who live an unfortunate oppressed existence and need a bit of redistribution of wealth from local farmers such as the odd sheep to survive.

(Bucks County)

I saw one deer in Monroe county this year.Saw 8 sets of coyote tracks.Spoke to a group of locals who I saw every day that week and they said they found 3 small skeletons. Heard howling from every direction at daybreak every morning.I had a doe tag but it was the only deer i saw so i let it pass,it went in the direction of the locals and I heard no shots so they let it pass.Trying to talk brother -in-law into a spring dog hunt.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCGS View Post
    We own a farm in Washington County (SW PA) and coyote population has actually declined in the past 10 years since the locals became more aggressive in weeding out the issue. I have shot two in the past several years inside my animal pastures and a friend took one during archery season just last month.

Attached is a pic of my latest.
    Is it just the camera angle or is that thing ginormous? What does it weigh?

(Luzerne County)

I think the coyote population is on the decline but never declines enough. There are alot more regional coyote hunts around too. There is a big hunt in NEPA sponsored by district 9 trappers assoc. Winner gets $2000 for the heaviest coyote over the 3 day hunt. And $250 for the days biggest and $100 for any one brought in. Normally held at the end of Jan. Or begin of Feb. Check it out.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast